Salida elk hunt

9-point

just wondering if anyone might know who to call around the Salida Co. area about having someone with horses take a group of 5-6 hunters and gear up the mountain and later back down again I dont think we will need a guide,just a ride.

Y'alls aint got no feet or 4wd trucks???

Seriously, call the DOW office on hwy 50 in Salida(its inthe fone book). They'll have all that info. The Salida game warden is an EXCALLENT resource also.

i have lived....

around the salida area for about 35 yrs now and could do some looking into this for you. What area exactly do you want to hunt? there is really only one spot within 25 miles that horses would do you any good. most areas here are accessable to 4wd to within hunting distance....there are no really hard to reach areas that you cant hunt from a road on foot except down in the sangre de cristo wilderness. i will gladly help if i can...AJ

dog... thanks for the offer, we are planning an oct 09 hunt in unit 86, we've never done this before so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible I have requested info about salida from the chamber of commerce, but wondering about other things such as where a group can camp, if a guy gets a kill early in the hunt where to take it(will a meat locker rent space in a freezer-we are comming from Ia so we will have to bring the meat home for processing), and since we will be of public lands;again something we've not done before, what are the unwritten rules and etiquette among hunters. I know there are ????s I havent asked or have even thought of yet so any help would be appreciated.

unit 86....

is the east side of the sangre de cristo range. runs from salida in the north clear down to westcliffe in the south....i think the arkansas river is the eastern boundary for a ways. its a big chunk of territory, but mostly accessible on foot, 4wd and some atv.you may want to check into using one of the forest service campgrounds. there is one at hillside and one at hayden creek in coaldale or you can just find a place that suits you anywhere on the forest. i can point you to a few places. i have a friend in howard that has a cooler that he rents for hanging game during hunting season. i think he charges 2 bucks a day. i can also line you out with processing if you like. the only place that a guy would need horses in this area is if you were hunting south of hayden pass in the Sangre wilderness area. there are a couple outfitters that can pack you into this area. prob should plan a trip to the area ahead of time for scouting or come a few days early, pick up maps of the area and study them. tell me more about what kind of hunting you want to do and i will try to point you to it . this area is not one of the high percentage areas with tons of elk like the flat tops or meeker area , but i have managed to get elk out of there most of the last 30 yrs....AJ

this might help plan....

Season Dates and Fees Printer friendly version
Big Game
2008-2009
786.jpg
A new resource for you, the Colorado Hunting Planner (PDF), is a one-page summary of season dates, fees and application dates and deadlines. It can be saved and printed for easy reference as you plan your hunt. Also available is a map of GMUs highlighting Colorado's 3.3 millions acres of wilderness! (7.1MB, PDF) For more information on season dates for 2008 – 2009, see the 5-yr season structure document, which was adopted in November 2004.​

hey guys, been having probs posting replies, plus been busy at work&home. I think that we'll go into the mts. and camp there, I do have a couple of maps to study on plus google earth seems pretty good, its going to be a 2nd season rifle hunt, just have to use our feet like ...tip said:D. there wont be any time for early scouting we will be there about 5-6 days hopefully with work and luck we will have success,by the way tip the link you posted looks very helpful, as far as my gear I have the gun, boots,and clothes coverd still looking at packs tents sleeping bags and everything else a guy needs. thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts