Building an elk rifle

I think you are on the right track kid. Stick with you instincts, but my advice is to go with the .338 win mag over the 338 06. The .250 nosler partiton is a bonafied elk slammer....been there done that. Best 2 elk kills ever witnessed were with this combo. One shot, tits up, drt. You can get into the more exotic stuff later.... BUT, always remember, shot placement trumps bullet diameter every time. If you cant shoot it, dont use it. Good luck. AJ

Well, this is an interesting development. Long story, but I'm in line for inheriting a 338 Win Mag rifle from a fellow I'm not related to and I didn't know it. A Winchester 70 from about 1995 or so. We'll see how this pans out.

--TK

Well, this is an interesting development. Long story, but I'm in line for inheriting a 338 Win Mag rifle from a fellow I'm not related to and I didn't know it. A Winchester 70 from about 1995 or so. We'll see how this pans out.

--TK
The 90's built M70's were the best they put out since 1964 so you may well have inherited a very nice rifle.

If it's still in the original factory composite stock put it in a good stock and have it properly bedded with pillars installed before you even start shooting it. It's what you'll eventually do anyhow to get the most out of it and it'll save you a lot of wasted ammo between now and then.

WildRose, I think it's in a different stock already. Leastwise, I'd hope so considering the guy bought it and then spent $2500 on aftermarket things to go on one caribou/moose hunt is Alaska in 1997. Honestly, I've only seen the rifle once, and all the information I have on it is what a senile old man told me.

Though, things got weird this morning when I was talking to the family. There are three children in the family, and none of them are really into guns. A son who is a pastor who has never hunted a day in his life. A daughter who has never shot anything with more oomph than a 38spl, And another son who only hunts birds.
Of those, only one has a child that would be interested in a rifle, and he's afraid of the recoil on a 303 Brit. None of them want it. Originally they were going to give it to me straight up, but now it looks like I may be buying it for about $200, IF they decide not to sell it to a pawn shop. Operative word being IF. Apparently, the old guy just told one of his younger grandkids that he thought I would get more use out of it when he kicked the bucket, but never put anything in writing.
Then I come to find out this morning, after being told about all this, that the guy is actually still alive! So now I'm uncomfortable talking about it at all because he's still above ground. It's weird.

--TK

I would do any of the .300 mags. I have a SAUM, Win, Dakota, and RUM. Don't know what's cool anymore...#3 or #4 barrel, 10" twist or 9.5", 26", lighter stock design, Vortex HST, and you are gtg...without breaking the bank...

I would do any of the .300 mags. I have a SAUM, Win, Dakota, and RUM. Don't know what's cool anymore...#3 or #4 barrel, 10" twist or 9.5", 26", lighter stock design, Vortex HST, and you are gtg...without breaking the bank...If you find some more money upgrade the scope...

The big question to me is transportation used in hunts you are guiding on.
A pickup truck, horses, four wheeler or walking?

Your weight limit of 6 to 7 lb. makes the choices fewer.

Me and my hunting buddy look at big game rifles from 2 worlds.
His rifle a Rem 700 300 RUM Custom barreled to full length barrel blank around 30 inches, H&S stock and Night Force 8X24 scope. Weighs 17 lb with bipod.

My choice is a Kimber Montana 300 WSM, Leopold 2.5X8 scope and nylon sling. Complete rifle and 4 shells 7 1/4 lb. 180 gr. Nosler Part.
This rifle would fit your weight limit.
Wisdom and Good Luck in your choice.

Food for thought......I ride my horse 4hrs to get to camp and hike steep Idaho mountains from there. My gun weighs 12lbs. It's heavy! It sucks to pack, but I go everywhere with it and smile the whole way cause I know it hits what I aim at. My scabbard doesn't like my 50mm scope with turrets and I had it made custom for the rifle. My saddle leans all the time, and if I pack elk on my horse the rifle is on my shoulder not under the panniers.
I shoot a 7RM with 26" #5 fluted lilja and a brake. In elk camp it's a monster next to savages, tikas and Remington's my family hunts with. But everyone asks to shoot my gun when it counts.

Everything in life is a compromise.

Everything in life is a compromise.

Truest thing I've heard all day.

To answer the transportation question, I'm applying to a backcountry guide class that emphasizes horses and mule packing. That being said, I walk everywhere anyway, so the rifle all spend a lot of time on my shoulder.

--TK

Theoretically everything from deer to moose, though I'm primarily thinking elk out to 500-700 yards. I just want the option of 200+ grain bullets if grizzlies are on the menu any too close. That last part is why I hadn't been considering much below 30 caliber, otherwise I'd go with a 7RM or a 270WSM, or maybe even a 264 Win Mag.

So far, I'm kind of leaning toward a slightly heavier rifle (ie 8.5-9 lbs) in either 300WM/WSM or 338-06. The 300s have the extra powder capacity and velocity, but mostly tend to max out at 220 grain bullets I've noticed. I don't know that for certain, but that's what I've gleaned about the cartridge.

The 338-06 has the added coolness factor of being A) 338 caliber and B) less common of a round. It also has the option of 165 grain Barnes TSX up to 285 grain Hornadys per Cabela's spring catalog reloading section.

I don't know if I'm reading more into a 338-06 than there actually is, but I just like the bigger bullets and easily (read cheaply) acquired brass from standard 30-06.

--TK

WildRose, I think it's in a different stock already. Leastwise, I'd hope so considering the guy bought it and then spent $2500 on aftermarket things to go on one caribou/moose hunt is Alaska in 1997. Honestly, I've only seen the rifle once, and all the information I have on it is what a senile old man told me.

Though, things got weird this morning when I was talking to the family. There are three children in the family, and none of them are really into guns. A son who is a pastor who has never hunted a day in his life. A daughter who has never shot anything with more oomph than a 38spl, And another son who only hunts birds.
Of those, only one has a child that would be interested in a rifle, and he's afraid of the recoil on a 303 Brit. None of them want it. Originally they were going to give it to me straight up, but now it looks like I may be buying it for about $200, IF they decide not to sell it to a pawn shop. Operative word being IF. Apparently, the old guy just told one of his younger grandkids that he thought I would get more use out of it when he kicked the bucket, but never put anything in writing.
Then I come to find out this morning, after being told about all this, that the guy is actually still alive! So now I'm uncomfortable talking about it at all because he's still above ground. It's weird.

--TK
Well that's a whole lotta strange stuff going on.

Just a thought but you could always just offer to buy it from him since he's still alive and see what he thinks. That way you avoid any issues with the kids.

When someone passes away it's amazing and a little sickening to see how all of a sudden their kids and grandkids can become attached to things they never have and never will otherwise care about simply to stir things up.

When someone passes away it's amazing and a little sickening to see how all of a sudden their kids and grandkids can become attached to things they never have and never will otherwise care about simply to stir things up.[/QUOTE]

Very much so.

About offering on the rifle: He's in ICU on a life support machine in a coma. I helped tow a trailer over a mountain for the extended family to stay in for a while, since he's still in "tomorrow morning is probably his last" stage. One new development is that all of his firearms are being held by the youngest son, who is the only Hunter in the family. He's apparently too afraid of it to shoot it, so he's likely to be willing to part with it when it all said and done. I'm just uncomfortable asking at this point in time.

--TK

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.