rifle building ?s

Shaidon

Im looking at building a 300 wsm rifle around 6 lbs w/o the scope. I was looking at Christensen Arms barrels but havnt heard much about them. Are they any good?

In my opinion, check them off your list. There have been many problems with these rifles over the years as far as quality and performance.

To be honest, you can use an all steel barrel and get nearly the same weight as a carbon barrel if you use small diameter all steel barrels.

I just built two barreled receivers for two customers. One was using a 26" carbon fiber barrel, the other was a 27" Lilja #7 contour, similiar to the Rem Sendero contour.

The difference between the two barreled receivers was only around 12 oz and that was using a heavy all steel barrel. Dropping to a #5 contour Lilja all steel barrel would have made the all steel barreled receiver lighter then the carbon fiber barrel.

Now if your looking to get a heavy barreled rifle as light as possible, yes the carbon fiber barrels have their advantages compared to very heavy all steel barrels but compared to light contour all steel barrels, It is my personal opinion that they do not offer much of an advantage and dispite what is claimed, a carbon wrapped barrel is no where near as stiff and rigid as an all steel barrel.

Heat control, yes the new carbon wrapped barrels do this well but that is the only real advantage I see.

That is not to say they do not shoot. I have built several rifles using ABS carbon wrapped barrels and ALL have been extremely fine shooting rifles, I have just not been able to convince myself they are worth the extra cost yet but they are certainly vrey quality barrels.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
That is not to say they do not shoot. I have built several rifles using ABS carbon wrapped barrels and ALL have been extremely fine shooting rifles, I have just not been able to convince myself they are worth the extra cost yet but they are certainly vrey quality barrels.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

The Christinson barrels are lighter than the ABS barrels.The ABS barrels are a better option in IMHO,ABS does not turn thier barrels down as thin before wrapping and they are 5R rifling........
thumb.gif

I have read from others about tests they did on the Christensen arms rifles where they found what is believed to be factory Rem 700 barrels under the carbon fiber.

I have also inspected a receiver from one of these nearly $4K rifles and as far as being accurized, it was no better then a factory Rem 700. In fact, from what I could see, unless the receiver was refinished after machining, it was not trued at all,

Get a Rem 700 receiver, get it accurized, fit it with a small contour ABS barrel with a lightweight quality carbon fiber stock and you will be pretty close to your goal.

Realize that the lighter the rifle, the harder they are to shoot at long range so do not expect to have a 6 lb rifle that will hold 1/2 moa out to 800 yards. The rifle may well do it but to stear the rig that well is a real challange for the pilot.

For a general purpose big game rifle however, go for it.

Kirby Allen(50)

In all fairness to ABS, after reviewing a couple things I wanted to point out that the ABS barreled receiver I compared to the all steel Lilja barrel was made from a Lilja #2 Dakota contour which is larger in diameter then what is normally used by ABS. THey used to have Rock barrels make all their custom barrel blanks.

In comparision, the barrels using their blank design will drop nearly another lb of weight off the total barrel weight.

I beleive now they are using Satern barrels instead as they are supposed to get the barrels out quicker. That is what I have heard.

I do not know anything about Satern barrels but I have a test barrel in 30 cal coming that should be here anytime.

Just wanted to point this out to be fair to ABS.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.