Building an elk rifle

The Trinity Kid

Hello internet,

I'm trying to get into guide school this spring to become an elk guide, but I'm needing a new rifle. Due to a weird schedule and odd things in life, I can't guide the 2017 season, so I have almost 2 years to finish this rifle. Which is good, because I'm not exactly a wealthy dude. I'll be using my mother's rifle (Ruger American .270) at school, since my little 30-30 isn't exactly the best long range elk killer, but I want more than a 270. So I'm going to be getting a Montana Rifle Co. action, and Vortex Viper HS and build my way up from there.

I'm looking for suggestions on everything from cartridge to barrel twist to scope rings. I'm not super picky on anything, but I do have a couple of general ideas.

Medium bore cartridge that will reach out and slap an elk (or bear) at 500 yards +, but isn't too expensive/punishing to practice with. I've been looking at the 338-06 AI, since I'll be handloading. But, I'm open to others.

I'm a little guy, so I want a lighter rifle. 6-7 pounds without the scope, is easy enough to attain.

That's pretty much it, so have at it.

--TK

(P.S. I know pretty much all of this information is already on here, but I'm hoping to get a lot of it condensed into one thread)

I would go with any of the top barrel manufactures for your build ie: Bartlien, Krieger, Hart, Lilja, Brux ect. If you want to keep it around 7lbs then the biggest barrel I would go with is a 26" standard contour or a fluted #5 contour. The 26" barrel will provide good velocity without being too heavy or cumbersome while packing it through the mountains. The stock I would use is the B&C Ultra Light, it is a great stock for the rifle you want and it's under $300. There are a lot of options for scope rings but really any of the name brand ones like Leupold, Nightforce, Seekins, Talley, Vortex, etc. will work. A good scope base from EGW is also what I would use.

Good cartridges to consider would be the 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, and maybe something new like the .28 Nosler. If you go with one of the .30cal magnums then a 1:10 twist barrel will be sufficient for bullets up to and including the 215gr Berger, especially at the higher altitudes out west. If you go with a 7mm cartridge then I would get a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist to stabilize the big Berger 180s and 195s along with the new Hornady 175gr ELD-X. I would strongly consider a good muzzle brake so you can tame a magnum in a 7lb and be able shoot it comfortably.

Both the 7mm Remington Mag and .300 Win would be the two cartridges I would be looking at if building this rifle. Yes there are higher performance and newer cartridges out there, but these two have been around for years. Brass can be found cheaper for them than other magnums and there is no need for custom dies or fireforming. There is tons of data out there for reloading both rounds and if you forget your reloads, factory ammo for both these magnums can be found anywhere. The same can't be said for the new Nosler magnums or other bigger rounds like the RUMs or STW.

Try to find a model 7 stainless steel synthetic in .300 saum, great little rifle, lightweight, super accurate, easy to point, sweet handling, it has it all...the cartridge is very underated and with a good tsx or partition will handle any elk that ever walked...big green should have promoted this great gun/cartridge...people that build lightweight rifles have then end up very similar to this off the shelfer..question is can you find one...those that have them aren't likely to part easily with them..

7mm Remington Mag or the 300 Win Mag at the two cartridges that come to mind. You can read hundreds of pages of arguments as to why one is better than the other, but I'd lean to the 300 if it's elk-only.

What I noted more is that I'd not buy the Vortex, but would lean toward a Zeiss or better quality glass than what you've chosen. I own a few Vortex and a few Zeiss, and there is no comparison in quality. Optics are the one item where you really do get what you pay for, and I think you'd be happier to save a little longer and but a lot better. Elk guides live by the quality of their optics, so don't scrimp there.

If you want to shoot a 338 bore, I'd probably go bigger than the 338-06, and brake it. Then again, I'd brake a 300 WM too.

Based on the info provided I'd lean more towards the 7RM. You could do that in a R700 BDL and upgrade as you go. That'll do everything you want it to and a little easier on the shoulder and wallet. Not sure what your glass budget is but you can't go wrong w/ a swaro, zeiss, or leupy IMO on the gun you described. Both light and solid, again depending on budget.

Buy the gun now, ask for base, rings, and trigger for xmas (or more:D), get you an manners eh stock. By that time you may or may not want/need a new barrel.

You'll also have a gun that isn't a ball buster for clients. And no brake, ear plugs kill the singing elk ambiance. I like to hear my gun go off and the impact lightbulb just adds to the experience and memories which I feel is 10x more important that the # of inches I have on the ground.

Thanks for the promptness gents. :)

I'd certainly thought of the 300 and 7mm. One fellow I know uses the 7mm for deer, and he took a 650lb California Tule elk this year with it at 580 yards. Not bad. :cool:

I guess I was kind of thinking of a less common round (which the SAUM is). The whole "my gun shoots a cooler caliber than yours," thing. I was also wanting to shoot 250 grain + bullets if I end up in bear country.

That in mind, I kind of want a 338-06. It's certainly different, and looking at an article comparing it to the 338 Win Mag ( .338 Win. Mag, .338-06 A-Square and .338 RCM Compared) , there doesn't seem that much advantage in a magnum vs a 338-06.

What say you?

--TK

Go to actual college and then you can be the one being guided... ;)

But, since that's probably not what you want to do...stick with a magnum over the 338-06. Many more options for shooting heavier bullets, especially since you said 500+ yards and bears...

250+ gr bullet will put you into .338 territory so I'd lean towards a .330 Dakota, .340 Weatherby, .338 Win, .338 RUM or go big with a .338-.378 Wby or a .338 Lapua.

When i think of exotic/ less common calibers I sure as heck don't think about some broke kid going to guide school. Besides whenever you rebarrel you'll probably have more money to work with and more experience ;)

When its all said and done buy a 338 edge, that should impress clients.

Set yourself up with a good 24" barreled 30-06. handload it with 200gr Nosler partitions ( or sierra/Speer 200gr) around 2600. Learn where it hits out to 500yds, (you will use it much closer) and a low powerd, say a 2x7 or at most a 2.5x8 scope.

If it were me I'd build a 7RM or .300WM. I get the cool factor however, so with that in mind I would build a 28 Nosler. I would only put a 26" barrel on it however, and play with the 180's and 195's to see which I liked better. If it was a non guide gun, I would build a 28N with a 28" or longer barrel and let em scream. But 180's out of a 26" barrel will still whoop up on anything. Bears are very easy to kill. I'd be much more concerned about dropping an elk than a bear. That being said, a .300WM with Berber 215's is a badass combination! Sounds like a fun adventure. Don't forget you get major discounts from most of the big optics companies once you have your guide license.

Lot's of opinions out there. :D

I've been looking into the 300 SS this evening, and the idea is growing on me, I'll admit. I'm inching my way through the thread on here about it, but I'm liking it so far.

--TK

What's not to like? I mean if you're in a pinch the local general store should have some on the shelf. Haha just BYB.

Edit: The ss's are very intriguing, if I get a wild cat itch and brass is available I'll prob run a 7 or 30 ss.

Last edited:
300wm, 1:9 twist so you can shoot heavies and heavy for caliber monolithics like the Hornady GMX, matrix, Peregrine, Rocky etc.

You don't need a .338 to kill elk, Broz has probably killed more Elk than anyone who has ever posted here and hes shoots the Berger 215's.

Pick any of the top five or so barrel manufacturers, go stainless and either cerakote it or have it melonited (after break in) and you'll never have to worry about it in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts