Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Is the scope you ordered a 1 inch tube or a 30mm tube? If it's 1 inch, pick up a Centerpoint 4-16x40 from walmart for $70 until your scope comes in. It's mil-dot, but 99% of the people I have talked to like them, and then you will be able to shoot your gun immediately.

Is the scope you ordered a 1 inch tube or a 30mm tube? If it's 1 inch, pick up a Centerpoint 4-16x40 from walmart for $70 until your scope comes in. It's mil-dot, but 99% of the people I have talked to like them, and then you will be able to shoot your gun immediately.
The centerpts are surprisingly good for the $$$. I put one on my kids old Remmy 22lr. I my mind, it shouldn't be competing with my higher end glass... but it does. It's definitely no Monarch or Luepy VX, but is still pretty clear glass. I haven't even tried the turrets (other than sight in), so I don't know if it tracks well, but for a cheap backup, it does great. It'll get you by while ya wait.

Yes, it`s 1 inch. I'm quite fortunate. I was going through an old stash of mine and found a Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 scope. I mounted it today. Now I need to sight the rifle in. At least this will get me to finally be able to shoot my newly built AR! Then when my new Nikon Monarch3 4-16x50 comes in June, I can swap the scope out and sight in in again.

The centerpts are surprisingly good for the $$$. I put one on my kids old Remmy 22lr. I my mind, it shouldn't be competing with my higher end glass... but it does. It's definitely no Monarch or Luepy VX, but is still pretty clear glass. I haven't even tried the turrets (other than sight in), so I don't know if it tracks well, but for a cheap backup, it does great. It'll get you by while ya wait.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Not a bad idea to have for a backup.

This is a picture of my AR withe the temporary Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 scope mounted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 137
AR looks good. I myself don't like the longer barrels mainly for weight and manuverability reasons. A lot easier to pack around an 18" or less barrel. Other then that I like it.

AR looks good. I myself don't like the longer barrels mainly for weight and manuverability reasons. A lot easier to pack around an 18" or less barrel. Other then that I like it.
Thanks! I'll be sighting it in Saturday. I can't wait to shoot it! I hear ya about the length and weight. After a bit of use, I wil see if it works for me. :D

I sighted it in Saturday. I started out at 50 yards. First group was on paper (3" low, 5 1/2" right). Then the wind blew the target off the stand. I had to wait for the next cease fire to go put a new target out but at at 100 yards. My daughter was kind enough to go hunt down and fetch the 1st target so I could see where I was hitting. Ultimately after a few adjustments, I got it sighted in. I must say. The accuracy turned out far better than I imagined for being my 1st AR build! I can cover 5 shot groups with a nickel! I was shooting Black Hills 52 gr Match Hollow Points.

I probably shouldn't post this here but I got to break in my AR on its maiden hunt. I went Wild Pig hunting. I harvested a 100 pound sow (good meat pig). I hunted at Tejon Ranch here in SoCal. It was about a 40 yard shot up on a ridge. I shot it with 55 gr DRT frangible ammo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 137
You ever get those stix?

Nice pig, by the way.:D
patience, I'm so sorry. I've been so busy with work. The shooting stix came in Monday of last week! You can't see them in the picture. They're behind me in the bed of the truck. I actually used them to steady my shot and get the pig! :) It was my first time using them! Thank you again!!!

You may wanna wash out his ears before you start eating. Might be some lead poisoning in there, and you don't wanna catch that.gun)
dust, you're too funny! I'll have to remember that when I actually use lead ammo. Here is California, We cannot use leaded ammo if hunting in the designated "California Condor Range". In fact, there is now an initiative by the liberal tree-hugging left to extend the Condor Range to all of California which would prohibit using any form of lead ammo when hunting throughout the state!

I am working with the Mk-262 round. With a 1:7 twist it is good out to 800 yards. You really have to load your own to make it cost effective. The load calls for a 77g bullet. I am using IMR 8208 XBR or sometimes Varget for powder. I built my lower using a Geissele trigger. I bought the 18 inch bull barrel upper from White Oak. I use a Weaver 6-24x42 Varmint scope with the .223 reticle. When shooting the extreme distances, you might want Burris signature zee rings using the 20 moa inserts. Hard to miss.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.