Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

So long as we are only talking about a rifle for coyote hunting and not one that will double as a varmint rifle, barrel length is a matter of personal preference. A barrel as short as 16 inches will launch a 50 to 55 grain varmint bullet fast enough do the deed at typical ranges. My coyote rifle has a 20 inch barrel and I am quite happy with it. So in the end get what you want, learn to shoot it well, you will do just fine.

I own AR's in 16, 20, and two 24" barrels. All are 1:9. One 24" is a heavy DPMS bull that I use for 300 yards eggs shoots and target competition, and it holds sub .5MOA at 300 yards and at 500 yards will keep 69grSMKs in a 3" circle nicely. Its very heavy and not practical to lug around for the type of coyote hunting I do. For the longer range varmint hunting my 24" R15 varmint with a 24" barrel is equally accurate but with the triangular barrel is a manageable weight , roughly 9 pounds. Light enough for off hand close in shots, but very stable for precision long range shooting. For the closer hunting I like the 16 and 20", but for the longer shots I can see a very noticeable difference in accuracy and wind drift with the longer tubes and extra velocity, 250+FPS. My buddy uses the 24" Bushmaster with the fluted barrel, also a good choice that has manageable weight, and excellent for precision work at the longer distances. Accuracy is similar to my R-15. IMO.

I own AR's in 16, 20, and two 24" barrels. All are 1:9. One 24" is a heavy DPMS bull that I use for 300 yards eggs shoots and target competition, and it holds sub .5MOA at 300 yards and at 500 yards will keep 69grSMKs in a 3" circle nicely. Its very heavy and not practical to lug around for the type of coyote hunting I do. For the longer range varmint hunting my 24" R15 varmint with a 24" barrel is equally accurate but with the triangular barrel is a manageable weight , roughly 9 pounds. Light enough for off hand close in shots, but very stable for precision long range shooting. For the closer hunting I like the 16 and 20", but for the longer shots I can see a very noticeable difference in accuracy and wind drift with the longer tubes and extra velocity, 250+FPS. My buddy uses the 24" Bushmaster with the fluted barrel, also a good choice that has manageable weight, and excellent for precision work at the longer distances. Accuracy is similar to my R-15. IMO.
Thanks for the great info. I just finished building the rifle today. I built the lower and added the Bushmster Varminter upper receiver with 24" fluted barrel. I'm waiting for my scope to arrive. I ordered the new Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 with BDC reticle. It hasn't hit the store shelves yet. I can't wait til it arrives.

Thanks for the great info. I just finished building the rifle today. I built the lower and added the Bushmster Varminter upper receiver with 24" fluted barrel. I'm waiting for my scope to arrive. I ordered the new Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 with BDC reticle. It hasn't hit the store shelves yet. I can't wait til it arrives.

Good choice. I think you will be very pleased with the performance of that upper, let us know how it shoots!

Here are the pictures I took with my iPhone to show the build progress:

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 119
More pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 137
very satisfying
Yeah. I know what you mean. The feeling that is flowing through me right now is indescribable. This is my 1st AR-15 build. Now I have to sit here and wait for my scope to arrive. I would buy the rings now. but I'm not sure which height to get. I have a set of 1/2" riser blocks mounted on top of the flat top. Scope objective lens is 50mm.

My thought on the 24" was that it could help if I needed to take a long shot.

I have a 20 and a 24 and they are both rock steady on the bipod. I prefer the RRA uppers. If I was building another I think I would spring for the Lilja bbl and put the upper together myself though they might not improve a lot on th 5/8" groups I'm capable of at 100 with these two.:D

That's great info! I will look into it. Shooting sticks huh?

If you pm me an address I'll send you a couple of the 3' poles left over from a broken down ground blind and some bicycle inner tube when I get back to the house. Works like a charm and real cheap and durable.:)

I have a 20 and a 24 and they are both rock steady on the bipod. I prefer the RRA uppers. If I was building another I think I would spring for the Lilja bbl and put the upper together myself though they might not improve a lot on th 5/8" groups I'm capable of at 100 with these two.:D
5/8" groups sounds great!

I"m with Ican., I had a 24 in bull barrel,yup, as heavy as it sounds on a nice DPMS rifle. It got to wear I didn't want to haul it around any more. I was gonna have the barrel chopped and recrowned but a buddy wanted it and gave me $ for what a 16 inch barrel would run. It's a bull 16" barrel that is much lighter then the 24, wish I had weighed them. Anyway, no loss of accuracy using Win. 55 gr. BST and Nikon M-223 3-12 Rapid action Turret scope. I had shot the 24 in. barrel to 623 yards and taken this one to 500 yards blowing up a 4inch jar of tannerite. I now use a DPMS Prairie Panther as my Coyote gun. Topped with a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14 Scope, it is has quickly become my favorite Coyote gun. Pretty too!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/CoyoteSPrairepanther_2-3_zpse87cf809.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.