Building a switch barrel rifle, slowly.

Guy is trying to do this on a budget and not start with a $5500 rifle and pay $1700 for conversion kits. They also don;t show a .223 which he wants.
You can get them for less, I did, and know others that have too. I also have different caliber barrels DT doesn't sell, but pretty much any caliber can be done from 223 to 416 Wby. In fact Short Action Customs does a very nice 223 conversion for the DT.
I understand the desire to keep the cost down, but if you price out the parts and services needed to build a quality switch barrel rifle you may see the project get closer to a used DT than you may think. Just my thought.

You can get them for less, I did, and know others that have too. I also have different caliber barrels DT doesn't sell, but pretty much any caliber can be done from 223 to 416 Wby. In fact Short Action Customs does a very nice 223 conversion for the DT.
I understand the desire to keep the cost down, but if you price out the parts and services needed to build a quality switch barrel rifle you may see the project get closer to a used DT than you may think. Just my thought.

Actually it doesn't need to get anywhere near the price. You can put together a rifle for less than you think starting with a Origin. No services needed. Buy prefit barrels and change at home. He could put together the rifle and buy the tools for about $2500 and then just spend another $650 for a barrel and bolthead for a .223.

Also the bullpup design is not one that everyone loves. You also have less options than building off a 700 footprint action. DT are good rifles but I don;t see it as being near his price range. Up to him though.

I'd pick a 22-250 over the 223. Same bolt face, same magazine. I'd also go with a pinned factory style lug.
Done!
True, but for me the 223 is a good middle of the road choice. I am also already set up with a stockpile of ammo and reloading tools/components for the round, rather than having to do it all over again for a 22-250.

Alright, I think I've put together the list of parts for the build. I am set up to reload, but haven't begun doing so. I have components for all three of these proposed calibers. I'm interested into hearing thoughts, opinions, experiences with my proposed parts or companies, as well as alternatives that may be better bang for my buck or better quality. I'm also interested in finding out about military discounts on these parts or others I have not considered.

here we go:

Action: Zermatt Bighorn Origin action, with 223 Rem Bolt face.
Trigger: Timney Elite hunter Trigger (Military Discount)
Magazine: AccurateMag AI pattern 223 magazines (Midwest gun works Military Discount)
Barrel options: Preferred Barrel Blanks Bighorn Prefit 223 barrel, stainless steel, #4 sporter contour, 16", 1:8 5R twist, 223 REM Chamber.
Xcaliber bighorn Prefit 16", 223 Wylde Chamber, 1:8 5R twist.
Stock Options: Grayboe Phoenix with Grayboe DBM (possible Military Discount)
KRG Bravo (no dbm needed) (Military Discount)
AG Composites Alpine Hunter with Hawkins M5 DBM (Military Discount)
Stocky's stocks long-range hunter with Hawkins M5 DBM

I do really like APA DBM, but nobody other than Manners seems to offer inletting for it.

In the Future:
762x39
Bighorn 220PPC .4545 Bolt face (Military Discount)
Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit bighorn origin 762x39 barrel, .310 barrel, 16"
AICS 308 magazines (Midwest gun works Military Discount)
Primal Rights AICS magazine Conversion

308 WIN
Bighorn standard bolt face (Military Discount)
Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit bighorn origin 308 barrel, 1:10 twist, 18"
AICS 308 Mags (Midwest gun works Military Discount)

Questions:

How does this all look? Any suggestions for part substitutions? I'm def interested in saving cash or weight where I can.

any Compatibility issues?

With the 762x39 add-on, would you go with the 310 barrel, or try to find a .308 barrel so that I can shoot a wider variety of projectiles, while condensing my 30cal bullet selection down to just 308? Would I be able to maybe use a 308 1:10 barrel and still be able to shoot consumer 762x39 ammo? I do still have a Ruger American Ranch in 762x39 and some AK's, and am a little concerned about complications having to keep the brass seperate.

I'm not settled on my stock options. The KRG represents a big savings over the others, but I'm not sold on them. I like the AG Composites and the Manners options, but the price is rough. Stocky's seems appealing, esp due to the sub 2lb weight and low price, but I don't know much about the quality.

Thanks for any input!

Magazines for the .223 I would get the MDT Poly mags. They run great with my TL3 and allows out to 2.550" OAL for loading even heavier bullets so if you wanted to down the road you could. All about versatility.

I would also get the KRG as there is no bedding and it's AICS mag ready. Drop the barreled action in and go shoot. What is holding you back about them?

Sounds like you have it figured out......and are about to dump a pile of money. What happened to the 700 budget build with factory barrels? And you were worried about buying some 22-250 dies and some brass? Wow how things change when the bug bites.

It's really not much.

Origin $875
Preffered barrel $400
Trigger probably around $120
If KRG they are $360 before discount so total of $1755 plus the action wrench and vise and still under $2000 for basically a custom rifle.

Then add the future stuff later when money comes around.

It's really not much.

Origin $875
Preffered barrel $400
Trigger probably around $120
If KRG they are $360 before discount so total of $1755 plus the action wrench and vise and still under $2000 for basically a custom rifle.

Then add the future stuff later when money comes around.
But the whole idea started out as a complete switch barrel rifle. That still doesn't include another barrel, bolt head, magazines plus whatever else.....just saying.

But the whole idea started out as a complete switch barrel rifle. That still doesn't include another barrel, bolt head, magazines plus whatever else.....just saying.
That's why his post said "In the future" as it will be eventually but he is better off buying something like this and getting good parts and then get another barrel down the road then trying to skimp and get two at once. The new barrel, bolthead and mags will be about $600-650 more depending on how many mags he wants.

Without a doubt it would be a nice rig. I was just going by the original post for a budget switch barrel rifle complete. I don't know how deep his pockets are, so I was giving a recommendation based on the original post. My way of thinking is if he is going to drop that kind of money, why not go the rest of the way and buy a BAT action and a McMillan stock, Krieger barrels and have the best of everything?

Because that would add quite a bit to the price for the McMillan or a Manners over the KRG and not add much to what his needs are and the Bighorn is a custom action as good as any. The Kreiger or Bartlein would run him $350-400 for just the blank and then he would have to pay a smith to thread and chamber for another $250-300. I look at it as he is buying a very good set up for his budget now and he can always upgrade stocks or barrels down the road as his money comes available. He will be fine with that action for a very long time. But in the end it's not mine or your decision and I am just trying to help him get what he can afford and still get a quality rifle in the end.

I'm not arguing with you.....you are 100% correct. My point is that neither one of us knows exactly what his pockets can afford. What might not seem much to you, might be too much to him.

Doing the math, assuming I buy AI mags and steel barrels for everything, I'm in for a 3 caliber setup for under $4k. If I buy the extra bolt faces and just the stuff necessary to build a 223 rifle, I could be in it for about $2k assuming a don't get the AG or a manners stock. From there, depending on the mags and barrel I buy, I could be looking at 4-600 per extra caliber.

I did start this thread under the pretense that I'm trying to keep things affordable, and while I'm still looking to keep things affordable, I went through the stash and have sold several rifles and optics. So My budget has increased a little bit, but I would like to stretch it out over time. Buy all the zermatt/bighorn parts now, build a 223 rifle, and then buy the new calibers as time goes by, spreading out the initial cost. Theoretically, I'm out of pocket $0 if I can sell these last two rifles. When I buy the x39 part of the kit, I might sell my x39 bolt gun. Big might. Which would cover an extra stock or an optic upgrade.

Sounds like you have it figured out......and are about to dump a pile of money. What happened to the 700 budget build with factory barrels? And you were worried about buying some 22-250 dies and some brass? Wow how things change when the bug bites.
I've been convinced that buying a 700 would cost me as much if not more in the long run. Buying the origin will cost me roughly the same as a worked over 700 action, and I would be replacing the stock and trigger assy/bottom metal on the factory rifle anyways. I figure buy once, cry once.

I'm not necessarily worried about buying some dies and brass, but I already have several thousand loaded rounds and several thousand pieces of 223 brass. The 223 REM is a good middle of the road option to me, and will work for everything from foxes, bobcats, and prairie dogs, to coyotes. I just don't see the sense in buying into another cartridge that does the same thing, for more money, and from what I've heard, more fur damage. Buying a couple hundred, or couple thousand rounds/brass just adds a bunch of cost to my build when I already have what I need.