Building a switch barrel rifle, slowly.

Alright, you guys have me convinced. I'm gonna start getting parts together for a custom rifle. Start with 223, eventually get a 308/whatever barrels tickle my fancy. I need to look a little more, but I think the bighorn origin is gonna fit the bill. If I'm buying a custom action, prefit shouldered barrels, and an out of the box timney trigger, do I really need a gunsmith for any of this, assuming I use common sense and purchase my own action wrench/barrel vice? All I should need is to get my selected stock bedded after putting it all together, right?
Alright, you guys have me convinced. I'm gonna start getting parts together for a custom rifle. Start with 223, eventually get a 308/whatever barrels tickle my fancy. I need to look a little more, but I think the bighorn origin is gonna fit the bill.

If I'm buying a custom action, prefit shouldered barrels, and an out of the box timney trigger, do I really need a gunsmith for any of this, assuming I use common sense and purchase my own action wrench/barrel vice? All I should need is to get my selected stock bedded after putting it all together, right?
The WTO Switch lug works great , the only extra expense is the cost of the lug then the barrels are headspaced too the WTOLug . I built a 6.5 prc switch lug too 300 wsm using the same magazines Hawkins makes several options for bottom metal . I personally used the Curtis Customs Axiom and the flush Curtis Customs bottom metal . I can change barrels in 5 minutes and torque every thing and ready too check zero . I have no regrets building a switch lug rifle . I also would look into the AG composite stocks , they are Veteran owned and make a really fine carbon fiber stock .

Alright, you guys have me convinced. I'm gonna start getting parts together for a custom rifle. Start with 223, eventually get a 308/whatever barrels tickle my fancy. I need to look a little more, but I think the bighorn origin is gonna fit the bill.

If I'm buying a custom action, prefit shouldered barrels, and an out of the box timney trigger, do I really need a gunsmith for any of this, assuming I use common sense and purchase my own action wrench/barrel vice? All I should need is to get my selected stock bedded after putting it all together, right?

No gunsmith needed. You can put it all together yourself with the barrel vise and action wrench. Pretty simple.

For the stock/chassis you have any ideas what you want yet?

No gunsmith needed. You can put it all together yourself with the barrel vise and action wrench. Pretty simple.

For the stock/chassis you have any ideas what you want yet?
I was looking at AG composites, Grayboe, or even just a stockys carbon fiber stock. I heard they were made with the help of AG composites. I wouldn't mind making a carbon fiber stock myself, as I have another rifle I wanna make a stock for and I have a clapped out Marlin 1894 "cowboy assault rifle" that I wouldn't mind making a carbon fiber buttstock for. but that will likely be a project for later.

Yup those will be fine and if you can build a stock then you can bed one. Lol I wasn't sure what you were looking at. I was going to recommend the KRG Bravo as they are drop stock with a chassis system inside and have AICS DBM already and run $359 to keep cost down.

Yup those will be fine and if you can build a stock then you can bed one. Lol I wasn't sure what you were looking at. I was going to recommend the KRG Bravo as they are drop stock with a chassis system inside and have AICS DBM already and run $359 to keep cost down.
That would definitely keep costs down and I do like the features and cosmetics. And at 2.9lbs it's only slightly heavier than my other options. Definitely worth the savings I think.

That would definitely keep costs down and I do like the features and cosmetics. And at 2.9lbs it's only slightly heavier than my other options. Definitely worth the savings I think.

Yup if the slight weight difference is fine then the Bravo is another easy choice. The Origin is a 700 footprint so it will drop right in.

The barrel vise and action wrench shouldn't cost more than around $150 for both. And some advice, when you see an Origin in stock, if you choose that action, buy it! They go fast. Or order it now and shouldn't be too long a wait. You can call Zermatt/Bighorn and ask.

Yup if the slight weight difference is fine then the Bravo is another easy choice. The Origin is a 700 footprint so it will drop right in.

The barrel vise and action wrench shouldn't cost more than around $150 for both. And some advice, when you see an Origin in stock, if you choose that action, buy it! They go fast. Or order it now and shouldn't be too long a wait. You can call Zermatt/Bighorn and ask.

The WTO lug cost about the same 150 bucks and all you need is a Allen wrench too change barrels in your deer stand if you want. I can order a barrel from My smith without sending my action in because he has all the measurements for the correct headspace . My dad was a rifle ,and stock maker and I've been involved in a lot of complete builds . The WTO switch lug works I was hard too convince ,it's really a neat set up.

I have a bighorn tl3 and prior to that ran savages for years, swapping barrels.

I'd personally go the route of the bighorn origin if on a budget. You can order shouldered prefit barrels and easily swap heads for change to different cartridge head sizes. I use my primary rifle for hunting and then swap out for training all summer. Run a 223 for example running 88's.

The WTO lug cost about the same 150 bucks and all you need is a Allen wrench too change barrels in your deer stand if you want. I can order a barrel from My smith without sending my action in because he has all the measurements for the correct headspace . My dad was a rifle ,and stock maker and I've been involved in a lot of complete builds . The WTO switch lug works I was hard too convince ,it's really a neat set up.

The WTO is an option for him but he can also order a barrel from a smith without sending in action with either the WTO or not. The Origin is made to use shouldered prefits and not need to send the action in.

True, but that $150 is only able to be used on one rifle. An action wrench and vice with the right accessories will be useful for all of my rifles should I swap barrels later.

I know that the WTO switch lug system has been covered as nauseum here, but I am looking at taking a different approach, and am interested in opinions.

So this all started with the idea of having one rifle for many situations. And needing a new lighter weight predator rifle.

I'm wanting to get a new 308 for hunting (my current 308 bolt gun is a 17lb range toy), and I also am in the process of trying to sell my tack driver 223 bolt gun for something lighter. I would love to be able to have both out of one platform. One stock, one optic, multiple calibers. So switch barrel it is. But I don't have a sky high budget like many do for custom switch barrel rifles. I also am having a hard time bringing myself to purchase a custom action. So here's my thought: buy a Remington 700sps tactical in 308, buy the WTO switch lug system, and get the factory barrel machined to match up, as well as a lighter profile 223 barrel with matching bolt for song dogs. As time goes on and I find more funds, I buy a timney trigger, new stock with pillars and bedding, etc. maybe snag up another barrel in something a little spicier if I get a chance to chase sheep or elk in the future.

Thoughts on this process? Am I able to get the factory barrel machined to work with the system, or do I have to buy a brand new barrel? What can I do about bottom metal to make the different calibers feasible? I'm open to magazines or hinged bottom metal. I'm pretty new to the custom idea, all my current rifles are off the shelf stuff.

Thanks in advance!
look at and look for a SIG970SHR. They are out of the box, switch barrel/caliber rifles. They were only made and imported for a few years. I bought one with a .270win, 308, 30-06 barrels. A snap to change out, just need to re-zero. I settled on the .270. It's a tack driver. I sold the other two barrels. I see these for sale from time to time in the 700-800 range.

So lets dirty the water here just a Little bit!
How set are you on the 308/223 swap? So here is what I have and what I can do with it.
My rifle is a 6.5 creed made by wolf precision, Jamie Dotson who is the owner, Gunsmith, inventor of the ACE system, has patten the Ace system which is the chamber that can be changed for what ever rifle you want. In my case I can change the chamber from a 6.5 Creedmor to a 6.5 PRC and all I need to do is change the Ace and the bolt face on my bolt and i'm off and shooting. Nothing else is changed and your off and running.
(Wolfprecision.net)
Jamie also teaches the largest shooting school east of the Mississippi.

Food for thought: are 2 shots enough? Why not build on an over-under shotgun action and make an express rifle with multiple barrel sets? Using European claw mounts each barrel set gets its own optic zeroed for that caliber barrel set. Without a receiver your rifle can have 26" barrels a still be shorter than most bolt rifles. A unique and elegant solution.

So lets dirty the water here just a Little bit!
How set are you on the 308/223 swap? So here is what I have and what I can do with it.
My rifle is a 6.5 creed made by wolf precision, Jamie Dotson who is the owner, Gunsmith, inventor of the ACE system, has patten the Ace system which is the chamber that can be changed for what ever rifle you want. In my case I can change the chamber from a 6.5 Creedmor to a 6.5 PRC and all I need to do is change the Ace and the bolt face on my bolt and i'm off and shooting. Nothing else is changed and your off and running.
(Wolfprecision.net)
Jamie also teaches the largest shooting school east of the Mississippi.
I'm all about muddying the water a bit!

I'm pretty set on the 223/308 combo. Not only do I have a good feel for the ballistics of both calibers, but I have a healthy stockpile of ammo set up for both calibers, as well as components, reloading equipment and dies for both. Between 308 and 762x39 I'm covered for intermediate and long range target shooting, as well as taking most game on this continent. If I were to go for bigger/better ballistics as well as ELR stuff I think I'm pretty sold on going with 300WSM, 300PRC, and/or 300WM. Keeping things in the 30cal range would help me keep things economical.

I have been pretty interested in 6.8 western and similar .277 cartridges, but have no immediate plans to purchase.

Recent Posts