Building a Ruger M77 into a long range elk killer...what chambering??

How do you like the Rings so far? Do you think there's a chance of the scope slipping in them? I would like to use the base with the rings you have. ;) Nice gun you got. How do you like the stock?

Congrats!! I like the way that gun turned out! But then I am a big fan of the Ruger M77 mark 2.

If you ever think you need more scope cant there is a company that make 20 moa Bases for the Ruger M77.

.264 win mag is a nice round. Not to mention High quality brass can be had. Hope it works out good for you.
EGW sells 0 and 20 MOA bases for the M77 MKII rifles... You just have to have a gunsmith drill and tap your receiver. Which personally, I think is a much better option than those bolt-on rings. It allows you to now use whatever picatinny rings you want, and are no longer limited to the ties of Ruger and their idiotic ring design. Never been a big fan of that design.

EGW sells 0 and 20 MOA bases for the M77 MKII rifles... You just have to have a gunsmith drill and tap your receiver. Which personally, I think is a much better option than those bolt-on rings. It allows you to now use whatever picatinny rings you want, and are no longer limited to the ties of Ruger and their idiotic ring design. Never been a big fan of that design.

I have seen those rails. I have one of their 40 MOA rails for a savage build I have going right now.
The rails I was referring to do not need a gunsmith to drill and tap your receiver. They clamp on to the factory ring slots. http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-M77-MKII-Rifle-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

I know I'm late into this, but my M77 works real good with the 30-338 win...I couldn't be happier with that round.

I have seen those rails. I have one of their 40 MOA rails for a savage build I have going right now.
The rails I was referring to do not need a gunsmith to drill and tap your receiver. They clamp on to the factory ring slots. http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-M77-MKII-Rifle-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html
I know, I just don't trust their archaically-styled clamp-on mounting system. I'd rather just spend the $20-30 to a gunsmith to laser-out and CNC drill and tap my receiver, to know my bolts are true to the receiver.

How do you like the Rings so far? Do you think there's a chance of the scope slipping in them? I would like to use the base with the rings you have. ;) Nice gun you got. How do you like the stock?
I have used the rings on several different rifles, two different 7mm rem mags, a 6.5x55, a 300 wm, and a 8mm-06, totaling somewhere in the neighborhood of 800-1200 shots, and not a single issue. The bases have not moved on this rifle in several hundred shots either. I like them.

I have used the rings on several different rifles, two different 7mm rem mags, a 6.5x55, a 300 wm, and a 8mm-06, totaling somewhere in the neighborhood of 800-1200 shots, and not a single issue. The bases have not moved on this rifle in several hundred shots either. I like them.

Sounds good. I might just have to pick up a set for my new gun. Thanks!

I know, I just don't trust their archaically-styled clamp-on mounting system. I'd rather just spend the $20-30 to a gunsmith to laser-out and CNC drill and tap my receiver, to know my bolts are true to the receiver.

I hear you. I have never had problems with ruger rings coming loose. I would hope theres would work just as good. both are good options and they both have benefits.

I hear you. I have never had problems with ruger rings coming loose. I would hope theres would work just as good. both are good options and they both have benefits.
I have, that's why I don't like them. Plus, the rings themselves are very thin and not very high quality, so they don't clamp very good, IMO.

I have had 2 different M77 MKII rifles (7mm-08 & 7mm RemMag). The 7mmRM rings loosened up right before a hunt when I was checking my rifle's zero. Really screwed up the hunt because I didn't trust the mounting... Good thing I didn't see any deer that day.

I have, that's why I don't like them. Plus, the rings themselves are very thin and not very high quality, so they don't clamp very good, IMO.

I have had 2 different M77 MKII rifles (7mm-08 & 7mm RemMag). The 7mmRM rings loosened up right before a hunt when I was checking my rifle's zero. Really screwed up the hunt because I didn't trust the mounting... Good thing I didn't see any deer that day.
I agree on the factory Ruger rings, not a fan. It can be very tricky to get them mounted solid, if they are not pushed properly into place they can "pop" loose, because they will have a false clamp and are not fully seated/centered. Makes it really hard to have full confidence in the rings being seated, no matter how many times you double check. I have found however, that these Burris bases are about the best way to convert to a weaver type mount without drilling and tapping. And the Burris signature rings with the inserts have proven themselves to many, many people, eliminate the need to lap rings, give 100% confidence that there is no undue torque on the scope tube, and eliminate the need to raise your scope with a 20 MOA rail.

Cody, the rings had been mounted on that rifle for probably 20 years, shot hundreds of times, and checked religiously. Both the ring screws, and the base screws came loose at the same time. It was weird. Not to mention who uses flathead screwdriver rings anymore??? After that incident potentially ruining a hunt, I decided that if I ever got another one, it would get getting drilled and tapped, and and an EGW 20 MOA base.

Cody, the rings had been mounted on that rifle for probably 20 years, shot hundreds of times, and checked religiously. Both the ring screws, and the base screws came loose at the same time. It was weird. Not to mention who uses flathead screwdriver rings anymore??? After that incident potentially ruining a hunt, I decided that if I ever got another one, it would get getting drilled and tapped, and and an EGW 20 MOA base.
On the factory ruger rings I presume?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.