My new long range coyote killer

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was my best range day for weather conditions since Jim See of Center Shot Rifles completed my new baby.

470-post.jpg

• 243 Ackley Improved
  • Reamer by Dave Kiff, Pacific Tool and Gauge, .276 no turn neck
  • Lawton 7000 action and 20MOA base, custom bolt knob by Jim See
  • Broughton barrel, 26", #5 profile, 8.5 twist, cleans really easy!
  • Manners T2 stock
  • GAP camo pattern by Jim See using DuraCoat
  • Kwik Klip bottom metal and magazine
  • DuraCoat metal finish by Jim See
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5 to 22 X 56mm scope with NPR-1 reticle and zero stop, (lower rings on order)
  • Kenton Industrues Tuned Trajectory Compensator scope turret cap
  • Weight with scope is 11.3 pounds (w/o Harris bipod)
  • Shooting 115 grain VLD Berger Hunting bullets (.551 BC)
  • Angle Cosine Indicator and rail mount by Sniper Tools
  • B Square rail mounted level

I just finished fire forming and started working up a quick load for my Wyoming coyote trip in 2 days. I was verifying my 300 yard data and practicing my seated coyote hunting technique using Ulrich's tripod. (When hunting with Scott we shoot seated and with Jesse we shoot prone).

467-post.jpg

I got the vertical worked out pretty well except for one shot low. I aimed midway between the top and bottom black tape. This 300 yard group from a seated position measured 2.87 inches wide by 0.5 inches high for 7 shots with the 8th jerked shot bringing the vertical spread to 2.7 inches high.

469-post.jpg

In the last photo I am showing my new tripod from Ultrec Pro-Hunter . I have used Stoney Point for years but this newer one is more stable and the height adjustment is a little quicker in a hunting situation since the legs have lever adjustments that work with one hand. And twice now, I have had legs fall of of a Stoney Point because of the adjuster thingy's connections. In this shoot, I had attached Stoney Point's tag-a-long thingy to give me some rear support.

Anyway, my new Center Shot Rifles' coyote killer is going to be a real shooter and Jim was great to work with.

Last edited:
Shooting 115 grain VLD Berger Hunting bullets (.551 BC)

Don't be surprised if the BC actually comes in at the old value of 0.595. :D

BSL is a good guy but I told him not to change the BC and he didn't listen obviously. :D

Jim sure is one of the good guys.

Now go poke some holes in a few hides, exercise your top notch photography skills, and share a few pictures with us....:D

Len,

That looks like a fun-shooting rig. Let us know how the hunt goes. That T2 stock looks sharp!

How did you decide on the T2? I'm trying to decide between the T1, T2 and T3 right now for a 338AX with BAT HRPIC. Any help would be appreciated. The T2 looks like the best stock for prone shooting to me.

Have a good time,

Jon

Say hello to Wyoming for me. I love that state.

Great rig. That should treat you well. The 243 AI is a nice round. Travel safe.

Yesterday was my best range day for weather conditions since Jim See of Center Shot Rifles completed my new baby.

470-post.jpg

• 243 Ackley Improved
  • Reamer by Dave Kiff, Pacific Tool and Gauge, .276 no turn neck
  • Lawton 7000 action and 20MOA base, custom bolt knob by Jim See
  • Broughton barrel, 26", #5 profile, 8.5 twist, cleans really easy!
  • Manners T2 stock
  • GAP camo pattern by Jim See using DuraCoat
  • Kwik Klip bottom metal and magazine
  • DuraCoat metal finish by Jim See
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5 to 22 X 56mm scope with NPR-1 reticle and zero stop, (lower rings on order)
  • Kenton Industrues Tuned Trajectory Compensator scope turret cap
  • Weight with scope is 11.3 pounds (w/o Harris bipod)
  • Shooting 115 grain VLD Berger Hunting bullets (.551 BC)
  • Angle Cosine Indicator and rail mount by Sniper Tools
  • B Square rail mounted level

I just finished fire forming and started working up a quick load for my Wyoming coyote trip in 2 days. I was verifying my 300 yard data and practicing my seated coyote hunting technique using Ulrich's tripod. (When hunting with Scott we shoot seated and with Jesse we shoot prone).

467-post.jpg

I got the vertical worked out pretty well except for one shot low. I aimed midway between the top and bottom black tape. This 300 yard group from a seated position measured 2.87 inches wide by 0.5 inches high for 7 shots with the 8th jerked shot bringing the vertical spread to 2.7 inches high.

469-post.jpg

In the last photo I am showing my new tripod from Ultrec Pro-Hunter . I have used Stoney Point for years but this newer one is more stable and the height adjustment is a little quicker in a hunting situation since the legs have lever adjustments that work with one hand. And twice now, I have had legs fall of of a Stoney Point because of the adjuster thingy's connections. In this shoot, I had attached Stoney Point's tag-a-long thingy to give me some rear support.

Anyway, my new Center Shot Rifles' coyote killer is going to be a real shooter and Jim was great to work with.

I know this is an old post, but how is that stock to carry around? I am thinking of putting my Rem 700 7mm with Douglas # 5 contour into this stock. I love the looks, I am just curious as how it handles as a gun to carry around the mountains if needed. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.