My New Long Range .338 Lapua

Broz

Hey all, I just returned from MT. where I picked up my new Long Range rig. It is a Stainless Mark V Wby with a 27 1/2" Lija #8 fluted 1/10 twist in .338 Lapua Mag. On top is a custom milled and fitted Near base so I have full use of all the adjustment in the Night Force NXS. NF rings. McMillan A-5 stock and Harris bi-pod. Needles to say, I am pumped! I am very pleased and this rifle has made me realize that the right equipment plays a huge part in successful hits way out there.

Jeff

DSC00366Large.jpg

Got to send about 60 rounds down the tube while there. It was built by Joe Starns in Conrad and he has a very nice range to test his stuff. I even managed to smack a couple 300 smk's on his 2100 yard 36" gong. After that going back to the 1000 and 1200 yard target seem easy. This is my first all out long range rig, and as you can tell, I am hooked!!:cool:

Still plenty of time to practise before hunting season. I need to lean to read the wind before I try long shots on game. But if it is a calm morning Elk and Muley's beware.:D

Jeff
DSC00363.jpg

I like it!
I hope you have a long place to shoot near your house, it sucks having one that'll reach out there and watching it collect dust...or WASTING rounds at a 200 yard range!

i must confess to being guilty of looking at the backdrop maybe more than the gun...and the gun is awful sweet looking!

you might want a different brake on that thing if you shoot off the ground.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! I took those pics in East MT. where we stopped to bust some rocks. It is truely beautiful country and that ridge was a great place to shoot from. Shot some video of us wacking about a 20" square rock right at 1000. There were 3 of us all shooting Longshot Precision rifles. My Lapua and 2 Edges. I will link it here when my son gets it on you-tube.

TK, Yes, 2100 is a long way for a guy from southern Iowa and now Missouri.

Bravo 4, I just signed up to a hunting lease on 1200 acres for this year. My first trip there I was busting milk jugs @ 500 with my 30-378 and 210 Bergers. I also ranged a place to 1000 so no dust will be building on this rifle. I am a little worried about my other standard hunting rifles though. Might be time to off a few and think about another build..:D Maybe when I get my property sold here on Lake of the Ozarks and move to Montana I will need a 375?? I looked at a few properties while I was out there:)

Jeff

**** fine rifle Broz!!
That background looks somewhat familar.:D
That is a bad *** Weatherby . Enjoy!!
The picture doesn't even show the rock we were smacking @ 1000 yards.

That is one sweet *** rifle. I shoot with joe sometimes an he is very knowledgable an he does top notch work. I think im goin 2 have him build me a 338 edge. Congrats on ur new rifle. by the way i no where that shot was taken! shootin with joe is a blast... an i would recommend anyone 2 him 4 an awesome rifle build:D

Hey all, I just returned from MT. where I picked up my new Long Range rig. It is a Stainless Mark V Wby with a 27 1/2" Lija #8 fluted 1/10 twist in .338 Lapua Mag. On top is a custom milled and fitted Near base so I have full use of all the adjustment in the Night Force NXS. NF rings. McMillan A-5 stock and Harris bi-pod. Needles to say, I am pumped! I am very pleased and this rifle has made me realize that the right equipment plays a huge part in successful hits way out there.

Jeff

DSC00366Large.jpg

Nice rig. Looks like you found a good gunsmith in Montana that will build it the way you want it.;)

James

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.