My new Long Range Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Prieto9000, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Prieto9000

Prieto9000 Well-Known Member

I finally finished my project.
    Rem 700 SS
    .338 EDGE
    Barrel bought from a good friend here @ LRH
    DE Muzzle Break (not very happy with it).
    Jewell trigger @ 1lb
    Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Stock
    Sightron SIII 8-32X56

Loading 89Gr H1000 with 300Gr OTM's

Attached Files:

2. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

Whats not to like about the DE break? It looks pretty good in the pic, though I can see the transition from the barrel to break a little (sometimes it cant be helped). Did DE put the gun together?

Either way it looks like a nice rig. Im looking at rebarreling my .338 RUM to an Edge soon.

3. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

The reason your brake isn't working very well is because it is turned down too small to adequately handle a 300grain bullet. Change to a larger brake and it will tame the recoil down.

4. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

I use one of Ross Schuler's one inch diameter (round), three port and it is great on the edge. I have never understood why folks turn them down to match a small barrel. In any of the baffle design brakes: the more surface area or diameter for gasses to impact on the better. How big around is that brake?

5. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I see you have my favorite rings.... Warne Maxima. A real PITA to lap but once lapped and aligned, the best gripping rings made.

Nice rug too. I collect Kerman designs in hand made Persian.

6. Prieto9000

After doing some research a lot of people told me that with this particular break in this caliber, I should expect a recoil like a 30-06sprg or similar, but this damn thing kicks like a mule. It's not like i'm getting rid of it because of that. I'm just a little disappointed.

I had my gunsmith to install a Wyatt's extended magazine box, but can`t fit ammo larger than 3.700" Maybe the wyatt's detachable magazine will allow a little larger bullets.
    I'm only complaining about the looks of the ammo, looks a little odd with the bullets seating so deep, but the groups are amazing (3/4" @ 325yds). This was with the first load we tried. Hopefully we can get a tighter groups with more press work.

All the work was made by my gunsmith back here!!

It`s around .680" I bought it with the barrel to a buddy here @ LRH. He gave me the barrel with the brake already turned and installed. I personally like the break to be bigger than the barrel, specially the ones that are a little squared.
    Between the Defensive Edge and the Muscle Break which one do you guys think would be better??

7. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I limke EGW myself......

8. lamiglas

lamiglas Well-Known Member

I have several DE brakes, and they work awesome. I have a few in the size u have on sporter weight 300 Rums and smaller, and when comparing the before and after, they are very effective. In a sporter wieght gun shooting 300 gr bullets, i believe the rifle is gonna have alot of felt recoil with any brake. I also have a few of the bigger DE brakes 3 port, 4 port, and 5 port, and the bigger ones are no doubt more effective.

9. Prieto9000

I'm thinking about changing the brake for a bigger one. Maybe next year after deer season is over.