Building a Custom hunting rifle 300 win input

I have just gone through all of this and for what it is worth this is where I ended up after alot of research. Rem 700 blueprinted, chambered in .300 wm, shilin match grade #4, and the McMillan Game Scout which is carbon fiber. Absolutely love this stock. I am actually going to give the x-mark pro a chance and if I don't like it I will buy a Jewell. Choosing all of that was easy, I am stressing with choosing an optic.

The ruger is a tough gun and in the 90's it seemed like Alaskans loved them chambered in .338 But I agree these are not known for accuracy.

4 shots with no cooling? And how bad is the flyer?

I'm working up loads for a friends hawkeye, and it does the same thing but with 3shots. I attempted to float it but the flat head front screw is torqued tight and I have no desire to strip it. Might let someone else free it up. I did find a load that printed 0.75, I'll see if I can repeat it. All things considered I do not see him shooting further than 400yds which happens to be about the top of his duplex post. Honestly a 1.5moa gun would be about all he needs, but I can't let that happen!

I cool for several minutes between shots. The flyer/s will make a 3/4 group a 2 to 2.5 in group. I have floated it and pressure pointed it and ended up with same group. Definitely a solid gun as far as action but not dependable in accuracy department. I have had a good groups 3/4 in to 1 in out of it when doing load development and turn around next day and they open up.

I cool for several minutes between shots. The flyer/s will make a 3/4 group a 2 to 2.5 in group. I have floated it and pressure pointed it and ended up with same group. Definitely a solid gun as far as action but not dependable in accuracy department. I have had a good groups 3/4 in to 1 in out of it when doing load development and turn around next day and they open up.

Thats what I'm afraid of w/ my buddy's gun. If you intend on keeping it might as well bed it or put it in a new stock perhaps a boyds.

For the build, I'd go straight to the stiller.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.