building a new rifle but need some input

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by MindBender, Oct 27, 2005.

1. MindBender

MindBender Member

Hi all,
    I`m new to the server. Kinda been reading through some of the posts. Seems like weeks of trying to find good info has finally got me here. After not book marking the site and took me 3 hours to find it again.
    Now like every other person that shows up here out of the blue I need help some help. Don`t figure huh
    My delima ,talked to a couple of gun dealers about building a long range rifle and of course they dont want to put in thier input because if i dont like it they end up with a bad sell.{basically}I`m real partial to my 308 but it wont do the job i want to do so.
    Long range target/white tail / mule deer/and hopefully some day northern big game{elk/moose} and as so many before have spent 3x what i should have on guns trying to figure out what other people already know about. I have decided on the optics if it will hold up to the rifle -leupold vari-x III6.5x20x50mm mill dot.
    was thinking 7mm mag or 300mag not sure im even in the ball park for what i want anymore. Have had so much advice that disputes what i have read that even trying to build a custome is a 50/50 chance of getting what i want.and yes recoil is a factor less is better im getting old when my marlin 444 sends me back in the house rubbing my shoulder after 12 rounds.I never shot anything with a muzzle break but a 50 cal in the army and it was mounted to a piece of steal. So u can see my info is limited.I`m a poor boy from Mo. so 5k on a rifle is out of the question for me. So i start with what i have wich is the optics if they will hold up. Any help on building a custome and figureing out a cal. that isnt going to make me have to take out a loan on my house to pay for it would help thanks.

2. 308 nate

308 nate Well-Known Member

DanC,
    First of all there is nothing the good ol' .308 can't do to 500yds.in the 48. (some may argue this)

To what range do you plan on shooting?
    What game will you be shooting mostly?
    How heavy of a rifle will you put up with?
    Are you thinking of light weight? 7lbs. or less or something in the 10-15lb range.
    From reading your post what came to my mind was a 7MMWSM
    set up to shoot bullets in the 160gr. - 180gr. range,built something maybe like this.....[​IMG]

this rifle weighs around 12lb with optics.

HTH,
    308nate

3. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

I will 2nd what 308NATE said about the 308 in the lower 48 out to 500 or even 600 yards with the right bullet and of course bullet placement which is critical for any caliber. The nice thing about the 308 is bullet placment seems to be easier to achieve than other calibers, at least for someone with limited experiance. They are easy to load for, like lots of powders and bullets ect...They dont kick much, barrels last forever so you can really get to know your rifle. The list goes on. Also the 308 is a FINE long range target round capable of 1200-1300 yard paper punching with the right bullets. Dont underestimate the 308's ability to cleanly take big bull moose in the arctic. We do it up here all the time. Even elk if you pay real close attention to shot placement.

If you want something more potent, anything from a 7 rem mag to the 300 or 338 ultra mag would suit your needs. Choose a caliber that you are interested in and one that would make you feel proud to have. They all do a pretty good job and each has potential in its own unique way, Just remember ballistics and such always look good or bad on paper. You cannot choose a cartridge based on "paper". Choose one you like and go from there.

As far as price, have something built a peice at a time. It ussually take months to get a good barrel. If you pay for the blank up front, by the time you get it you can afford it to be cut and chambered ect...It took me over a year to be able to afford to get mine completed but it was worth the wait.

Good luck!!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with Everything posted here. However, long range hunting/shooting really starts at 600 yards. (My Opinion). I like the .300 win mag, (6.5 x 284 if hand loading) however the 300 ultra mag is pretty popular as well. In any regard, the cost of a custom rifle without the glass will run you approximately $2,800.00 and up. For the glass, (and my buddy Pete Lincoln will argue this) should either be a Night Force or a Schmidt Bender. Pete will tell you to purchase the S&B... An additional $2,000.00 and change. A Pro-Grade package makes all the difference in the World.

5. MindBender

MindBender Member

Thank you for the reply.
    Sorry didnt want to through everything out there every one would of been bored by the time they got through reading it.First off the 308 i got now im starting to lose my groups after 300 yds. been a great rifle but pretty much wore it out love shooting it i guess. Mostly white tail deer.And a few mule deer when i get the chance to go north.
    Wich seems to be getting further apart in years.Target-1200 yards across my farm. Would like to stay under 15lbs.prefer bottom feed box.the 7 mag i had {all stock} kicked like a mule with balistic tip factory loads wich brings me to the muzzle break. If i get the chance to hunt elk i dont want to have to go buy a new rifle to do it after building one.
    Sorry going to have to post this and go look to see if i answered all the info you asked for.
    I want to build something im goig to enjoy shooting not be beat to death by the recoil if possible.Im somewhat comfortable shooting out to 500-600 yards but the rifle i have now wont do it with out a total rebuild and would rather put my money in a new one and try to get as close to what i mentioned in one rifle. And still shoot as flat as possible but have the knock down power to take larger game. As i said my info over 500 yards is limited and im just getting back into shooting.

6. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Other than a rainbow trajectory and a whopping amount of knock down power, youre describing the 308. 1200 yard paper, 500-600 yard deer round, not kicking hard ect...

With a laser RF a trajectory is nothing to worry about and you dont need huge amounts of knock down power unless youre after a big Alaska brown bear and even then you are required to have a guide up here and he will have a big gun with lots of knock down power to back you up if things go south. The 308 will kill an elk no need to buy another rifle if you go elk hunting here or there.

7. zingdingo

zingdingo Well-Known Member

You might be able to get into a custom for less than you think. What action is your .308 on now? If you were willing to donate that action you could get something build up for just a little more than a new rifle would cost. That action trued up (provided its a decent bolt action platform) would be better to build off of than a new mass produced action. I'd say talk to some of the smiths. Kirby was very helpful in making my project happen with a very limited budget. As to your scope choice, I think it would work great for you. Sure, some of the higher end scopes might be better, but you certainly don't need them, and if the cost is prohibitive (I could barely afford my leupy, and can't afford another yet) don't let that hold the project back.

Carl

8. Pete Lincoln

Pete Lincoln Well-Known Member

W, in can't resist that invertation, now if you pick the right day on the exchange rate, you will get change out of $2000 for S&B PMII.
    got to agree on the caliber choices and points made,
    but i'd start at 260rem. next step. 6.5x284, then a 300 ultra. but one shouldn't ignore the WSM's.
    The worlds your oyster and the skys the limit.
    Pete

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Pete: I am still leery of the SM’s and feel that they might be more of a barrel burner than one would think. Do you know anyone that has put 500 rounds of a SM cartridge (7mm or 300) downrange? I would be surprised if it didn't suffer from aggressive erosion.

10. MindBender

MindBender Member

I like my 308 and first choice was to just keep it for deer hunting for a few more years and go strictly target.its pretty much junk at this point.I wouldnt shoot anything over 300 yards with it like i said think i just liked shooting it to much. it wasnt a custome but was a pretty nice rifle when i bought it. I pretty much use my super redhawk for game under a 100 yards. The 44 mag does a wonderful job on whitetail and coyotes.
    Yes my first choice was to build the best 308 i could afford. But after all the back and forth i have went through trying to get good info i started leaning toward another 7mag. But im so far out ot the loop on whats out there, what you can do with it and what actually works and what doesnt that putting money into a custome that isnt going to perform much better or any better than a off the shelf rifle is frustrating.
    From what i have read on this forum most of you all are a few notches above most of us as far as what works with what rifle and what doesnt, what barrels to buy or who to have make them.
    Optics- what i listed will prob have to do untill after i get the gun built.{still got kids at home and trying to run a farm and work 7-[on call 24]
    ;as far as the Cal. pretty sure unless i can figure out how to get a 300 to kick like a 223 prob looking at a 7 mag heavy barrel with a muzzle break.[really want to spend some time on the range]or in other words setting on my front deck shooting targets all the way across the farm]
    Seems to me that from what i asked of you all that its between the 308 and 7 mag.Any info on building both and what rounds to shoot through them would really be great.
    I am really impressed with the how quick of a responce and the amount of information thank you all for helping.
    wish i had found this site would of saved me a little time in this project. think ill go back through some of the old threads and see if i can find some of the info i need there. See if i can find spacifics on what works and what doesn`t and figure out hot how to fit it into the budget.

11. fmsniper

fmsniper Well-Known Member

Here is my long range hunting rig, Savage 116 SFAK, with factory brake, Glass bed Duramax stock, 20 MOA Rail and Horus vision Scope/replaced the IOR in the photo. Caliber; 300 Rum. Shoots Sub MOA with factory ammo and Barrel.

Gun itself was about 490.00

in photo black rifle

[​IMG]

12. zingdingo

zingdingo Well-Known Member

DanC,

Please forgive me but I got to ask,

Pete,

That saying "the worlds your oyster", do you know where that came from?

Thanks,
    Carl

13. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

I can speak on behalf of the 300 SAUM.

I have fired right at 700 rounds through my Model 7 and the groups are only getting better. It took about 200 rounds to get her broken in, but now its paying off.

As far as barrel buring goes, my loads are the following:

59gr Varget 140 Barnes X
    58gr Varget 150 Nosler AB
    53.5gr Varget 175 SMK

For a 300WM, my loads were:

77 gr IMR 4831 150 gr Nosler Partition
    78 gr IMR 4831 165 gr Sierra HPBT
    77.5 gr RL 22 180 gr SMK

The SAUM is burning about 30 percent less powder. jm2c

14. preacherman

preacherman Well-Known Member

...what action is your 308?