Budget Hunting Rifle Ideas

10 Ringer

Need some opinions on a good caliber as well as a rifle for deer and possible elk hunting on down the road. I'm in Georgia, so I probably wouldn't be having to make a shot more than 500 yds at deer. Some of our bucks in middle ga live to weigh about 200-220 lbs. I need a gun that doesn't break the bank, light enough to be taken walking through the woods ( >10lbs) and treestand work, but still be able to reach out there if need be. This will be my go-to deer rifle and I would like it to be big enough to take an elk, but not more than 300 yds more than likley. I was thinking 7mm-08 maybe or 6.5 Creedmoor? Thanks in advance and sorry if I am being to specific or picky or not enough, 10 Ringer

I assume you meant less than 10lbs. get either a 30-06 or 270 win... both are capable and you can find ammo anywhere... I can go into the ranch store here in Montana and take my pick of 270 or 06. ruger makes a nice rifle, no aftermarket though, mine is under 10lbs with a bipod. I like Winchesters and the weatherby vanguards are well priced and feel nice. The two rounds you listed should get it done not problem but I have a thing for long action rounds...

Need some opinions on a good caliber as well as a rifle for deer and possible elk hunting on down the road. I'm in Georgia, so I probably wouldn't be having to make a shot more than 500 yds at deer. Some of our bucks in middle ga live to weigh about 200-220 lbs. I need a gun that doesn't break the bank, light enough to be taken walking through the woods ( >10lbs) and treestand work, but still be able to reach out there if need be. This will be my go-to deer rifle and I would like it to be big enough to take an elk, but not more than 300 yds more than likley. I was thinking 7mm-08 maybe or 6.5 Creedmoor? Thanks in advance and sorry if I am being to specific or picky or not enough, 10 Ringer

We all have different banks, put down your actual budget, i.e., <$1000 for scope and rifle.

Another question would be what do you already have and what have you shot? Recoil to some is a big factor..
I have shot 223,243,and my dad's 7mm mag. The 7mm mag wasn't bad, but it was a gas gun and it was a little too much for me. My budget would probably be under 1,200 gun and scope.

I have shot 223,243,and my dad's 7mm mag. The 7mm mag wasn't bad, but it was a gas gun and it was a little too much for me. My budget would probably be under 1,200 gun and scope.

Check out the TC Compass >>> https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/t-c-compass-rifles/t-c-compass, it'll leave you with plenty for a nice scope.

Also, .243 and larger are also threaded for muzzle brake or suppressor. Because elk is in the mix, I'd seriously look at the .30-06 SPRG and .270 Win.

IIWY, if you're not opposed to muzzle brakes, I'll install an effective muzzle brake on your 7MM Rem Mag and it'll be shooting to a felt recoil similar to that off a .243 and it can kill an elk up 800 yards and more if the nut behind the trigger does his job.

Good luck!

People poo on them but something like the Rugsr American fits the bill. My buddies have several, and all shoot .7-.9 MOA with factory ammo after trying several boxes. So I'd see what is there in 270, 30-06, or a 7mm of some type. For what you describe, there is no need to go with anything recoiling harder than a 270.

My buddy was consistently popping prairie dogs with his in 243 out to 320 yards. Now the mag release system is not ideal for high volume shooting (plastic lockup) but parts can be replaced and few people will put 300 rounds through one in two days like he did to see the weakness.

I pillar bedded it into a Boyd's for him and now it is nearing .5 moa, factory ammo.

A savage model fitting your bill is better and can meet your budget with a decent scope. Difference is, unlike the Ruger, you can upgrade every part of the Savage over time as budget allows yourself, including the barrel. I've turned cheap savage package guns into .25 moa rifles.

I live in Pennsylvania and hunt PA and Montana. I been using a Remington .308 with vortex scope,168grain Nosler BT. The rifle is light and nice to carry. I have shot fat mulies and whitetails at different ranges . All shots were under 300 yards and the deer don't move after the Nosler hits them. That being said I am considering a savage 116 fcns 7mm REM mag. With 160 accubond. Recoil shouldn't be to bad ,better velocity,higher bc. Deer won't like it and should be decent elk medicine.

I think the Ruger American's are nicer than the Savage Axis. They are both entry level rifles and i thought the American was better designed and felt more solid. both shoot well but i liked the Ruger more

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts