rifle ideas

screech

Hey would like some ideas on a long range (1000)yrd deer (600)yrd elk gun. I was thinking a 6.5-284. Is this to light or is it allright. also I would like some ideas on who to build it. Perferably idaho. also some ideas on what action/barrel/stock and goodies to put on it. It will be topped with a NXS 5.5-22 or 8-32x. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

there is a ton of good info on here, so keep reading and I think that you will start to get a good idea of what you want very soon. thats what I've been doing.....now I want a 7mm AM, nesika action...still deciding on stock and scope....
once again...tons of good info on here, keep looking

Screech,

Personally I feel the 6.5-284 is pretty light for elk at 600 yards. Not saying it will not kill an elk at that range but there are much better choices that are no more difficult to shoot and vastly superior terminally on game.

For deer I would say that would be fine, personally I would like a bit more HP but it will work.

For elk I would jump up to a 7mm round starting with the STW class and including the RUM and my Allen Magnum. From there up all the 30 cal magnums will work great as will the larger 338 rounds but for deer they are more then needed.

Every smith will have their favorite componants to use. All top smiths use top componants so even though they may differ in brand, quality will be top notch and results will be great.

Personally for a top end rifle I would use either an accurized Rem 700 or a Nesika Bay receiver, Lilja barrel and McMillan stock of your design choice.

I would also highly recommend going with the NXS 5.5-22x 50mm over the higher powered scope as it is better suited for a big game rifle and will offer optical performance greater then you will ever need.

If you want an Idaho smith, I would personally recommend Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge Gunsmithing. If you are willing to work with an out of state smith drop me an e-mail and I will give you more information on my shop and rifles.

Shawn is a hell of a smith, if you want an instate smith, you will not go wrong with him building your rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts