Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

While I don't have any Leupolds manufactured in say the last 2 or 3 years, I have run Leupolds on all my hunting rigs going back all the way to the mid 80's and (nock on wood)) I have never had one fail to do what I ask it to do. Still running a couple from the late 90s and turn of the century!🤣 If memory serves me correctly I bought my first Luepold scope in the late eighties used and never looked back. I would estimate I have probably owned several dozen over the last 35 years, mostly VX3s and several Mark IVs. If I had to own and depend on one scope it would be a Leupold!
I've still got a couple of Leupolds from the sixties and seventies. The first "high dollar" scope I ever bought was a 3.5-10x50 and it's still a very fine scope out to 400yds or so.

Okay guys I am going to disagree and agree with both of you. First off, I think there are several scopes under a thousand that are great scopes with good glass and that track well. Second, I don't think you have to buy a NF to get a quality scope and just because it has NF, SB, or TT on the side of it doesn't mean it is the best option for a given application. The Busnell XRS ii is a good example. If you catch them on sale they can be had for around $750-1000. Another good example is the Leupold VX-R TMR Firedot line of scopes that run around $600-700. Athlon's Ares and Midas Tac lines of scopes have incredible glass, amazing illumination, a great reticle, FFP, and turrets that have been tried and tested by numerous sources without fail. They run between $700-850. Leupold's Mark 4 is another example and probably the best on this list selling for $699-999. The VX5HD 3-15x44 CDS is also great as a hunting scope especially with the HTMR reticle; $999.99. Any of these will stand up to the recoil of a magnum caliber and are not to far removed from tier 1 scopes like NF. I would say all of them IMO are superior to SWFA. I have owed two SWFA scopes a 6x42 and a 12x. They are rugged and get the job done but the above scopes just do it better and with more features. All have lifetime warranties. Athlon's being the best. You can basically run over the thing box it up and send it back and they will send you a new one, same as Vortex. I presently own 8 Athlons, a half dozen Luepold, a Meopta or two and a S&B pm ii 3-12. I have owned Swarovski and Zeiss scopes as well and I have been behind a ton off Atacrs. The best glass I have ever owned was in a Zeiss Davaria 1.5-6. The next best is in a Luepold Mark 4 3.5-10 followed by the Schmidt. I have an Athlon Cronus that is probably my favorite scope though the Luepold Mk4 gets most the work during hunting season. I have no experience with the Arken scopes but many think highly of them at the $500 mark. Several of the scopes I have mentioned are made in the Low factory in Japan the same place NF is made. A few here in the US and a few from China and the pacific rim. My point is there are quality scopes for under a $1000 from just about any manufacturer or country you can think of! I would put the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 APRS6 up against any scope out there $1599 average retail new and $1000-1200 used. I would agree that sub $500 scopes are a crap shoot, but above $500 for the beginner shooter there are a lot of quality options. Everyone can't afford a TT, SB, NF or others high end $2500 and up scope and that is really where the men are separated from the boys not because of glass or tracking or even features but simple based on the fact that they have battle proven rugged realiabilty. The Athlon Cronus, Sig Sauer Tango 6, and Leupold Mark 5 3-18 are all being tested and used by SOCOM right now. All three of those lines have options that are in the $1000 range. There are also plenty of used options out there. To say that there are no good options under a $1000 is disingenuous at best. I would suggest the OP determine his specific needs and find several options that would work and watch the classifieds for a good used option or call Athlon or Leupold directly and let them suggest some options or call Cameraland, NY and let them make some suggestions. They are all fantastic companies to work with. Lastly a $1500 budget for a precision hunting rifle is completely doable with a little effort.
I've shot a straight 10X HD SWFA along ways for a long time

I would have to say a 300 win mag with a good brake should check all the boxes well. I would look for a nice used Rem 700/scoped combo. Keeping in mind if you want to shoot at distance you will need to be able to dial your scope so turrets are a must. My .02
Definitely would consider a .300 Mag - and if needed - get an after market brake.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
I would recommend 300PRC Bergara makes the B12 HMR and you can put a low end site on it but i don't recommend that look at Riton scopes Or Vortex I have both and recommend both at just depends on how accurate you want to be. I have never seen a firearm do what you want for 1500.00 but good luck.

Back in 1985 I bought a Winchester model 70 in 25-06 with a leupold M8 6x scope. The price was pretty steep for 12 year old kid. But I used my 4H money and worked for the neighbors splitting firewood with a maul and a wedge to come up with the $600. I hunted with that rig for 20 years until it was stolen from my truck. It killed hogs bears deer and elk. It killed from 10 to 680 yds and did everything I wanted for two decades. I have a real hard time believing he can't get everything he wants for $1500. You don't need to have the most expensive rifle or scope or bipod etc. That's just vanity.

One local guy here put his wife on a moose this year. One shot, .223 with 77gr TMK.

It's about choosing the right bullet for the cartridge and performance. Then putting it where it needs to go.
We "enthusiasts" tend to over think things.
This pic is from 2 seasons ago of my crewman from Kwethluk AK with a 72 incher he took with 2 shots from a .223, broke his leg trying to get it in his river sled. He hunts moose, caribou, seals, and wolves with the same rifle.

Attachments

• CB810496-C06C-4E74-961E-EF7C2A91C4CA.jpeg
    CB810496-C06C-4E74-961E-EF7C2A91C4CA.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 47
7mm mag Tikka or Bergara, Sig tango4 4-16 scope will leave you room for rings inside of $1500.

7mag is really the min to kill elk, moose, bear at 400yds with copper bullets. But if you went heavier it would be less fun to shoot out to 1200yds (unless only 10-30 shots are fired)

Could buy a heavier 300wm but that wouldn't be that fun to carry up where the elk are.

Sorry guys, 280ai, 6.5prc are sooooo popular that you can't find ammo on the shelf for them even now.

400yds with copper bullets rules out:
6.5cm
270win
7-08
25-06.
While all those calibers can kill elk at 400yds the copper bullet thing kinda chops ya off around 300-350 for most.

Also 7rem mag can be downloaded with AA5744 or h4895 to shoot like a 7-08 and "bang away" at steel/paper.

Also, while alot can be done with 7mag in handloading, you can mostly always find 7mag on the shelf even in a pandemic and often even find Barnes vortex ammo for hunting.