308 one load for everything ?

predator1

i want one load for my 308 what do you all think bout 175 berger vld at 2750 ? the reason i want one load is im new to longrange shooting and hunting. i have the load shooting just over half minute of angle at 200 yards. this load will be the load i will learn and make my drop charts off of. i will use the 308 to become profficient at targets out to 800 yards and deer to 600 and elk to possibly 500. anyone have any experience with the bergers?

i want one load for my 308 what do you all think bout 175 berger vld at 2750 ? the reason i want one load is im new to longrange shooting and hunting. i have the load shooting just over half minute of angle at 200 yards. this load will be the load i will learn and make my drop charts off of. i will use the 308 to become profficient at targets out to 800 yards and deer to 600 and elk to possibly 500. anyone have any experience with the bergers?
I have experience with the Berger, Btip, and several other bullets. You chose a good all around for the 308.

That's probably a good load for everything you described. I found out the hard way once with Nosler BTs that they did not work well at short range. Generally, that's not a problem since I'm hunting at longer ranges now but that day I found myself in heavy cover where there was no way I'd have a shot over 100 yards. I just didn't think about it and jumped an elk 20 yards away and shot it in the lungs at 35 yards. It dropped, but only after running another 75 yards. There was no expansion.

I only mention it because there are occasions when you might want to just carry a few rounds of short-range stopping power. I loaded up some partitions for that job. Otherwise, I agree with trying to standardize on one load. There's enough other stuff to learn about distance shooting.

I use a 168 amax at 2650 (20"barrel) It is superb , with your velocity I'd give the 178 amax a go?
I had a sako trg21 and I used 175g MK at 2750 , brilliant load although a little hot!

predator1:
I'm with you on trying to develop a single load for your hunting needs. I recently read an article or a post on this site (can't seem to find it right now). It was quite the discussion of bullets for the .308. In the end, the general agreement was that the 175 SMK and Berger VLD were the best all around bullets for the .308. Although many say they hunt with the SMK I'm not convinced since everything Sierra says about the bullet is "not intended for hunting". Also, everyone raves about and Berger touts the hunting performance of the VLD. Given all that, I'll be looking to develop a good 175 VLD load for my .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.