Custom Everything

Machinist497

Recently retired from the precision machinist field and have since gotten into long range shooting. My background is in surgical implants and tools with extremely tight and complicated tolerances. I have a garage equipped with machinist tools and equipment and see a possibility for a secondary income making or modifying equipment for shooters. I would like to know about any legal or licensing issues that may complicate that future. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Hey, if you want to make a test run cloning a Remington 700 long-action with a jeweled bolt with a magnum bolt-face, I'd be more than happy to help you BETA test. :D

I have no clue about manufacturing the accessories and parts. I know to manufacture the actions and stuff you have to have an FFL and a Manfuctruing license.

I'd assume that since none of the other parts are registered, then you would probably just have to have a manufacturing or business license. But don't quote me on that, as I have never done so.

Seriously though, I am interested to see what kind of parts you could manufacture. Anytime you have a machinist who is into guns and can make custom or hard-to-find parts that can be beneficial to alot of shooters out there. So, good luck with the endeavor, and keep us updated.

If you have ideas of things that are not made currently that you could use I'm willing to help. Im not required to make money for "the man" anymore so I just do it to hone my skills. If ever you get an idea and want something made just pay for the material and Ill make it for you without labor cost. Just to get the experiance. As long as its not anything Id need an FFL for.

Sounds good. I'll let you know. I can't think of anything off-hand, but I'll do some thinking over the weekend. I'm sure I can always find something needs upgrading to billet or stainless. :D

Im sure just about anything would be possible... used to make stuff like prototype artificial human vertebra that assembles around the spinal cord. I dont think that ever went into production. But gun parts are a breeze compared to that stuff. So what ideas do you all have for things you would like to see made?

Also dont limit the ideas to stainless or ferrous steels. I learned to be very proficiant at machining titanium magnesium and other exotics.

A Ti spiral-fluted (deep agressive flutes) Rem 700 bolt w/ magnum bolt face would be sick! You know, the ones that look like a drillbit from the flute angle. But i bet that would be expensive.....

I like that idea. The Ti material to make that would be under $100. I'll have to get ahold of a 700 bolt to get all the dimensions. I think I'll make one for my savage to try it out. What do you think the value would be? Does anyone make them currently? And thanks for the idea!!

I think Remington makes them for their Ti series rifles. But those rifles AIN'T cheap, by any means...

It would also be cool to have Ti fireing pins, too. Those would never wear out. You could source all the standard 700 bolt parts (springs, extractor, ejector, etc...), minus the bolt body and firing pins and that would be sweet!

I think I might could send you some business.... I have a couple 700's that could use bolts, and I have a buddy that I mentioned the idea to, and his jaw dropped....So I would think you could count him in for one, too. LMFAO!

So $100 for materials, huh? I think I might have to let you make one or 2 for me. 1 Magnum bolt-face, and 1 .308 (standard) bolt face....Both long-action 700's. :D

I'll shoot you a PM.

Recently retired from the precision machinist field and have since gotten into long range shooting. My background is in surgical implants and tools with extremely tight and complicated tolerances. I have a garage equipped with machinist tools and equipment and see a possibility for a secondary income making or modifying equipment for shooters. I would like to know about any legal or licensing issues that may complicate that future. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated.
If you're going to "modify" customers guns, you'll need a 01 "Dealers License" to act as a gunsmith and,,,,,, ya' better look into some liability insurance! "Making or modifying equipment for shooters" won't require a license uless you are dealing with the serial numbered part, but ya' still better have some good liability insurance (especially if you're going to make things like bolts)!

If you're going to "modify" customers guns, you'll need a 01 "Dealers License" to act as a gunsmith and,,,,,, ya' better look into some liability insurance! "Making or modifying equipment for shooters" won't require a license uless you are dealing with the serial numbered part, but ya' still better have some good liability insurance (especially if you're going to make things like bolts)!
Good advice right here! I've never manufactured anything for guns, so as far as stuff like this goes, it's outside of my league.

Ti bolts could happen. As far as expensive... If you guys think a price point of about $325 would attract buyers then it might be a winner. A lot would depend on the price of the factory parts that would assemble on the bolt to make it complete.

Last edited:

Thanks! This is some of the much needed advise I was asking for. As I stated early I dont want to make custom parts that require massive licensing since this would be a very part time endeavor. Liability insurance is also a issue, I wonder what liability insurance would be more expensive.... Making hip, knee, and spinal implants or working on a persons firearm? I know that the medical parts require far to much legal stipulations for the home shop machinist to even think about trying. Any other thoughts or warnings?

As a "hobbiest", you probably can not buy liability insurance, because of the definition of being a "hobbiest". That means you'll have to set up a business! If you sell to others in your state you'll need a sales tax permit. You'll get to file federal and state taxes as a business. Sounds like fun now! Now, if you're going to make bolts you'll be in competition with PT&G and at least one other company, can't recall their name at the moment. They've already done the R & D and produce custom diameter, centerless ground bolts for manufacturers and gunsmiths along with many other items for the shooting sports. They've got lots of different options for extractors, many of the components they make themselves, and alot of fluting options, too. They're constantly expanding their product line. You have CNC equipment in your shop? Most of PT&Gs' equipment is. They can sell 'um for $100-$200. Like most good sized manufactures, they probably buy their material by the semi truck load (44,000lbs.) That's where the 'good' price is at, by the truck load! Of course, you could always try to "fly under the radar", but you've pretty much blown that by posting on the web! I don't know about you, but, I try to avoid 'serious' conversations with the tax man (state, federal, or local), zoning offficals, lawyers and others of that like. There are many serious considerations to think about with what you have suggested. In your last post you suggested "working on a persons firearm". That means getting a FFL. There's another "agency" to keep happy. Just getting approved means you've got to comply with local zoning and supply a copy of you're application to local law enforement, so they'll know you're there. That means "business property taxes". It goes on and on.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts