Brux Barrel Contour Decision!

C.O. Shooter

After some thinking and talking with my Smith, I have decided to change my barrel choice from a Broughton to a Brux for my rifle build. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/my-6-5-x-284-build-83765/ I am trying to see which of these two contours would be the best. Moreso looking for opinions or suggestions. I was looking at the Brux #17 Heavy Varmint or #14 Heavy Palma. I want to have a finished length of 28" and a .90 muzzel diameter. I know both of these finish at .90 it comes down to the overall taper! I searched the photo section also, but if anyone has any pictures of the two contours, by all means post them. It would be greatly appreciated, thank you. lightbulb

I can get you a pic of a Brux med palma tonight if no one else does, it's just a touch lighter but would give you an idea. I personally like the palam contours!!

The palma contours are more like a Remington Varminter/Sendero and a HV is a straight taper target barrel with a much longer "shank" or straight section at the chamber end. The HV is going to be quite a bit heavier too. I'd probably do the palma because they tend to look more like a sporting rifle rather then a bench gun but if weight wasn't a concern I'd add a little (1 to 2") to the shank for a little stiffer barrel and the ability to set it back later on.

My M70 6.5x284 is medium Palma Kreiger finished at 25". It outshoots my Savage 12F with a 30 inch barrel.

And, it's way plenty heavy.

The Heavy Varmint or Heavy Palma would be unnecessary on anything but a competition gun from my perspective.

Lilja has a downloadable tool for calculating weight. Or, you can call the mfg and ask.

-- richard

I apologize for the crappiness of the pic but taking pics suck and the stock is not finished!! Anyway this is a Brux Med palma with a 4 port muscle brake.

037.jpg

035.jpg

Sorry, I cant help with your contour dilemma, but just wanted to say that I have a Brux barrell on order for a new build and they are a great company to deal with. I have a 24" fluted #5 on order for a medium weight .280AI hunting rig coming soon.

Brux charges the same up to 30" so if you order a 30" blank you can cut it where ever you want.

Bingo, I alway order the max length I'm paying for but make sure they flute it for the finish length you want. After chambering and fitting I flip it over in the lathe and before I fit the brake I run the reamer in to just past the shoulder to give me a tool to checking stuff. Then it's cut to length and brake fitted.

I really like the lines of the palma vs the straight taper, I also think it balances better!

Question,

After reading several posts regarding barrel stiffness and harmonics, would a 28" heavy Palma (.90@muzzle) be adequate for a 6.5x284?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.