Browning Bedding Concerns

DreaminofMT6x6s

Ok I've been on here for a while and finally secured what I thought was a decent long range setup, Browning McMillan in 7mm R.E.M. Mag. When a gunsmith went to put a front rail on for my bipod he took shots of the bedding and this is what he found. Should be concerned? The Xbolt is known to be a reliable relatively accurate rifle out of the box and it isn't overly heavy either. But I don't know what to do now. Bedding material is extremely minimal and the stock is split at the pillar mounting location ***. Is this a standard thing? I'm just now getting into shooting so I'm not that experienced with this stuff. Thanks gang.

Attachments

• IMG_1669.jpg
    IMG_1669.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 92
I have some Browning Rifles Including an X Bolt and I've never seen anything like that. Can you exchange that stock for another from where you bought it? If not maybe give Browning North America a call and talk to a tech. rep.

Ok I've been on here for a while and finally secured what I thought was a decent long range setup, Browning McMillan in 7mm R.E.M. Mag. When a gunsmith went to put a front rail on for my bipod he took shots of the bedding and this is what he found. Should be concerned? The Xbolt is known to be a reliable relatively accurate rifle out of the box and it isn't overly heavy either. But I don't know what to do now. Bedding material is extremely minimal and the stock is split at the pillar mounting location ***. Is this a standard thing? I'm just now getting into shooting so I'm not that experienced with this stuff. Thanks gang.

It appears to me that the rear pillar was relieved ( ground ) to accept the magazine box. Not split. The pillar is for compression strength. True that its not as strong as is compared to un cut pillar. I'd shoot it before sending it back but call Browning first.

What did your gunsmith say exactly? Is he wanting more money from you to re bed it?

He is saying the same thing, it was ground for the bottom metal. I also like browning and this really surprised me. I'll call them before moving forward with anything at this point.

Ok I've since sent this back to Browning and they actually called me yesterday to say that every single Browning McMillan is being made this way, it's totally normal and won't effect the firearm at all.

Should I sell it and move on to something higher quality, Fierce, custom, MOA rifle, etc.?

Or should I shoot the **** out of it and only get rid of it when I'm a better shooter, ready for something more, etc?

FWIW, my son has an X-Bolt 300 WinMag that shoots extremely well with the right ammo. This is the Gold Medallion, not the McMillan stock. I have not had the chance to work up loads for it yet, but with SuperFormance factory ammo it is sub 0.5". That is after we had a trigger job to lighten the trigger. With the hard factory trigger he did not shoot it as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.