Barrel Set back - concerns

bajabill

Bought a used savage barrel and it is about 1/2 inches shorter and the threads extend into the factory stampings. I think this barrel was set back and rechambered - same cartridge 220swift. Is there any other concerns than that the barrel threads on well and was chambered properly. If it was "shot out", would this typically have restored it. I am not expecting competition level accuracy and probably will never send 300 rounds thru it. I know the true test is to shoot it. Seller offered to take it back if I am not happy with it but I think I want to shoot it.

Bought a used savage barrel and it is about 1/2 inches shorter and the threads extend into the factory stampings. I think this barrel was set back and rechambered - same cartridge 220swift. Is there any other concerns than that the barrel threads on well and was chambered properly. If it was "shot out", would this typically have restored it. I am not expecting competition level accuracy and probably will never send 300 rounds thru it. I know the true test is to shoot it. Seller offered to take it back if I am not happy with it but I think I want to shoot it.

the onlything I'd worry about is the thread job. If the threads was picked up correctly, you won't have a problem.
gary

As best I can tell, the options are:
(a) Return it
(b) Borescope & Cerrosafe
(c) just shoot it

First thing I did was run the barrel nut all the way down. When I get the gages I will see how it headspaces, should be fine. I guess my way to test for accuracy will be a few shots.

The great thing about Savage is that home brew headspacing is a piece of cake. Try the barrel, if it don't shoot well, scope it and/or return it.

If the barrel was originally a .220 Swift that was shot out, 1/2" setback won't do much good. The significant throat erosion, which comes from thermal shock fatigue, will extend up the barrel a good 1-1/2" or more from the throat.

When I set back my .22-250 I had to cut off the whole old chamber to get the new throat past the errosion.

On that basis, I'd take a look in it with a borescope. Examine the throat and crown. If the throat looks like a dry lake bed past where the new leads end, I'd send it back. If it doesn't, I'd install it, carefully head space it and check with both go and no-go gages, and see how it shoots.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.