Brass problems. Help!

Ok guys, spent my morning measuring and re measuring.
I have annealed some cases, reset die, went through the whole process again.
Same result.

So, my question now is about the expander ball.
What should the difference be between ball and bullet? Or even ball and case mouth.
It appears that my bullets are same size as the expander ball. Makes sense that they slip hu?

what is your measurement on your expander ... another guy on here had same problem. the incorrect expander was put in his die by factory. he measured and called them they sent the correct one.

According to my calipers - Expander ball .2825, same size as my bullets.
After looking at several of my other die sets, this design looks like it sucks.
The expander ball is way up in the die, not near the de-priming pen.
The others work with no problem. May be buying a new die set.
I just tried to take off a thou or so from expander ball, it's harder than Chinese arithmetic.

I would call forster explain what is happing and put the ball in there court. Whether u bought new or used. If they make good or explain why they built it that way. Never know might learn something. If not then u know not to deal with them.

Take the expander ball out and size a few to see if it solves the problem. Many guys use their dies in this manner to help reduce runout.

Chris

+1! That's one way.

Normally, the expander is .001 to .002 under bullet size. With brass springback, that usually results in .003 to .004 difference in diameter or what's usually called neck tension.

+2. And I think Punisher probably diagnosed the problem earlier. At least that is my guess. It's great to have an experienced reloader/friend close by to help when we are new to the sport. It's easy to miss some of the little nuancise's which can be frustrating. You'll get it figured out and generally it's not the equipment but rather operater error, don't take that personally none of us knows it all starting out. Forster makes very good products IMO and many others as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.