Brand New Remington X Mark Pro Trigger Malfunction

TxHillCountry

Just bought the rifle less than an hour ago. It's a 700 SPS in .243, when I got home to clean it I noticed that when the rifle is fired and the bolt handle is lifted the firing pin is cocked but if you do not pull the bolt back and just close the bolt the firing pin will drop. However, if you do pull the bolt all the way back there seems to be no issue. I am just concerned that the firing pin could fall when I do not intend for it to do so creating a very unsafe situation. I have not tampered with the trigger in any way, but it seems to be way lighter than the factory trigger on my SPS .270. Can it be easily corrected by a gunsmith?

Lots of Remington 700s do this to some extent. If you take your other rifle and push forward on the bolt, as you try to reset the firing pin, I bet you will find the same thing.
The bolt needs to move slightly to the rear to allow the cocking piece to to catch on the sear. I don't see it as being much of a problem as the bolt has to be pulled back to chamber a round anyway. But if you feel that the tolerances have stacked up and things truly aren't right, call Remington or take it to a gunsmith.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.