How to adjust the new Remington 700 X-Mark Pro trigger

bowhunthard88

I recently adjusted the new X-Mark Pro trigger on my Remington 700 VTR, so I figured I'd let you guys know how it's done. Note: once you adjust the trigger, you will void the factory warranty on this part!

1) Make sure the gun is empty of ammo!! Take of the stock, very important, you can't adjust the trigger with the stock in the way lol.

2) Flip the barrel over, with the trigger facing up. The adjustment screw is on the front of the trigger assembly in the middle. There is only one adjustment screw, and it is a 1/16" allen key.

3) Clean off any epoxy or anything that might be holding the screw in place.

4) To lighten the trigger pull, turn the screw counter clockwise. To increase pull weight, turn the screw clockwise. It would help to count the turns that you made, so that if you want to return to the previous pull weight you can easily accomplish it. I managed to lighten my trigger pull to about 4 lbs. 2 oz. (counter-clockwise). Note: if the trigger pull is too light, the bolt will not cock, so increase trigger pull (clockwise) by about 1/4 turn at a time until the bolt cocks.

5) Now, check to make sure that your gun won't slam-fire. Make sure the gun is empty of ammo again, and snap the bolt closed as hard as possible. Also, work the safety on and off a few times. If the gun doesn't dry-fire, and everything is fine, great.

6) Now, back the trigger adjustment screw out 2 full turns (counter-clockwise) and clean the screw and the front of the trigger assembly off with acetone or another degreaser. Apply blue Loc-Tite or another removable thread-locker to the screw very sparingly. Then re-tighten the screw 2 turns, and wipe off any excess.

7) Check for slam-fires with the bolt again. Replace the stock, and drop the rifle on its butt a time or two from about 6 or 7 inches to make sure it doesn't slam-fire again. If not, you're good. Congratulations!

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
lightbulb Very Important!! *Before you Lock-Tite the trigger adjustment screw, make sure the gun is unloaded, and work the safety to make sure it doesn't slam-fire that way either.* My gun went off at the range when I took the safety off, luckily I have been taught correct gun safety, and was on target, not somewhere else.

My previous post has been edited to reflect this safety issue!!

Stay safe.

The tech at Remington said that each trigger mechanism is an individual, each one has a different adjustment range. Some will adjust below 2 lbs., while others bottom out at around 4 or 5 lbs.

Good luck, mine ended up staying at about factory weight (a hair below actually).

Some real B.S. adjust the trigger void the warranty. Yet they advertise fully adjustable triggers?Sound like putting the cart before the horse. Lou

Yeah I know :(. I bought a Timney 1.5 lb. - 4 lb. and replaced the X-Mark Pro, I couldn't be happier with the new purchase :).

The only trick when buying a trigger to replace the X-Mark Pro, is that you need to buy the trigger with the safety assembly, because the safety is not transferable from the X-Mark Pro.

No BS. If folks would do their homework they'd know adjustments are not to be made by the gun owner or anyone except the Remington factory or Remington authorized repair center. I'm sure Remington position on this is based on everything ranging from additional revenue stream, fewer lawsuits, marketing tool etc. IMHO triggers are not as simple a mechanism as some may think and adjusting one thing might affect another and should only be undertaken by a qualified gunsmith or in this case Remington factory or their authorized repair center. Otherwise you might have the gun go boom when it ain't supposed to.

No BS. If folks would do their homework they'd know adjustments are not to be made by the gun owner or anyone except the Remington factory or Remington authorized repair center. I'm sure Remington position on this is based on everything ranging from additional revenue stream, fewer lawsuits, marketing tool etc. IMHO triggers are not as simple a mechanism as some may think and adjusting one thing might affect another and should only be undertaken by a qualified gunsmith or in this case Remington factory or their authorized repair center. Otherwise you might have the gun go boom when it ain't supposed to.

I understand your point on this, but I think it's a little dumb of Remington to advertise it as a fully adjustable trigger (I realize anytime you fiddle with something mechanical, there is a certain risk that is taken tho lol), it leads the customer to believe it is meant to be able to be adjusted by them. Especially if you don't read the fine print.

I knew I was voiding the factory warranty when I did this, but I was not happy with the original trigger. I wish Remington had kept their old trigger, it was tunable to how you wanted if you knew what you were doing. The X-Mark you're limited to 1 real adjustment, unless you dissassemble the unit.

it leads the customer to believe it is meant to be able to be adjusted by them. Especially if you don't read the fine print.

I see your point, hopefully with discussions such as this post enough word will get out so folks will generally be aware of what it really means.

Usually when I see something a little too good to be true...I immediatly go to the fine print so to speak (investigate) to validate if it's really all it's crocked up to be or is there a hook. Sounds like your thinking's the same as mine since you knew ahead of time it would void the warranty...smart on your part, can't be too careful these days where just about any marketing tactic seems to be fair play. Take Care.

I see your point, hopefully with discussions such as this post enough word will get out so folks will generally be aware of what it really means.

Usually when I see something a little too good to be true...I immediatly go to the fine print so to speak (investigate) to validate if it's really all it's crocked up to be or is there a hook. Sounds like your thinking's the same as mine since you knew ahead of time it would void the warranty...smart on your part, can't be too careful these days where just about any marketing tactic seems to be fair play. Take Care.

Yeah, I know. I wonder if Remington treats their newer "externally adjustable" trigger the same way? That's just asking for trouble if they do lol.

are their newer X-mark pro with the "externally adjustable" trigger worth getting over the first model X-mark pro trigger? or should i just go after market???

I know this is kind of a dead thread...

but I just adjusted the trigger on my new sps(well a couple months old now) and it is much better. still isnt a timney but its better. I've get it around 3lbs and its fine. I beat the crap out of it trying to get it to fire and never could get it to. I was scared I was actually gunna move my scope so I stopped @ that point.

are their newer X-mark pro with the "externally adjustable" trigger worth getting over the first model X-mark pro trigger? or should i just go after market???

Jewell HVRT comes on the "A" spring set at one pound. Between the A, B, and C springs it can be set from 1 ½ ounces to four pounds. It comes with a safety and bolt release. You may have to make a tiny bit more clearance for the safety but if my first wife had treated me like Jewell, she would have gotten anything she ever wanted too. Jewell ain't cheap but the sex is much better with no need for pills or therapy. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.