box magazine challenges in an LRP Savage

wildcat westerner

I have a very accurate Savage LRP rifle in .243. It required sending at back to the factory and extensive alterations and now has a Northlands' barrel and VortexViper 5 x25 scope.
The challenge with this rifle is its box magazine. Since I have never dealt with one before, I could use some input as to decide as to what to do with it. Fired as a single shot that weapon is wonderfully accurate, but feeding is a challenge with the magazine in place.
I have found the cartridges refuse to feed from the magazine unless they are absolutely tight against the rear of the magazine. Often in attaching the clip the cartridges will slide forward a little and will not feed until the box is taken out and the cases are seated firmly in the rear. When the cases are in the correct position these cartridges will feed, but with effort, much more than a standard magazine. Cartridges in a standard magazine feed SMOOTHLY, from this box magazine they simply do not.
is this a norm for box magazine fed weapons?
If there are some "fixes" to these challenges, I really would like to read about it from some experienced rifleman or lady.

Recent Posts