Savage LRP?

wildcat westerner

Hello, after receiving a large amount of .243 ammo from a widow I purchased a used Savage LRP in .243. This heavy barreled weapon, on paper, seemed ideal for mid range shooting and prairie dog blasting. Well, the rifle is on its way back to the factory with cocking,firing, feeding issues and the bedding block bears so hard against one side of the action, it jumps out of the inlet, when the screws are freed. ON paper, all the componenets in the weapon should make for a very accurate repeating rifle; but right now the componentry and fit are not meeting expectations.

I am curious, did I end up witha lemon? I read a review and the writer seemed to indicate that LRP had similar problems. I would deeply appreciate it if fellowreaders might chime in and let me know of their experiences with this model. Apparently, for the retail cost, this weapon should be pretty signficantly special as to accuracy and function. I hope other owners have not had the experience I am dealing with now.

I've seen nothing but good things about most 12 LRPs but the majority of those were chambered in 260. Savage should make it right for you.

I am curious, did I end up with a lemon?

Yep.
Friend of my son purchased one in 6.5 Creed a few months ago. My son took him as a guest to the range where we do our LR shooting and he was banging steel with it at 700-800 in short order with factory Hornady ammo. They're solid rifles.

The stocks are made by HS Precision for Savage- sounds more likely there's an issue with the bedding block than with the Savage receiver.

Curious, before you sent it back did you check functionality with the action out of the stock?
If the action was really being badly tweaked as you describe when you torque down the action screws, that could easily cause the bolt to bind and feeding/extraction issues.

Hello, thank you both for these enlightening statements. I turned the rifle over to Score Hi in Albuquerque, who must have done a thorough and professional job. Then, after trying the rifle again with its new bedding job encountered the problems again, and contacted Savage. By the way UPS no longer accepts rifles from citizens for shipment.

WW

By the way UPS no longer accepts rifles from citizens for shipment.

Not so, you were given bad information.
They need to be shipped from a "hub"- not a "UPS Store" or similar.
They can be shipped to/from licensees to non-licensees- just not between non-licensees.

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

I'm not clear on what Score-High did/didn't do...
Did they diagnose, and recommend bedding the action into the block? Were they authorized by Savage to do the work?

With a new rifle under warranty, be careful that you don't unintentionally do/have work done that could void it.
Savage is pretty easy to work with- but sending back a rifle that's been worked over might cause you unnecessary headaches.

Last edited:
I remember when I shipped rifles as a private citizen in both Minneapolis and Seattle with no problems. I took a gunsmith with FFL with me the second time and still could not get it shipped. There is one store I am aware of that is UPS in the entire northern part of New Mexico, so all the different venues you refer to simply do not exist north of Santa Fe.

WW
Las Vegas NM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.