BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

Actually bullet length in and of itself has nothing to do with making a better BC. Longer noses and to some degree longer boat tails yes but raw length actually hurts the BC. Equal nose profiles, meplats and boat tails, yet one bullet is made out of copper and the other jacketed lead and weigh the same. Guess which one is longer. You guessed it. The copper one. Which one has a higher BC? The jacketed lead bullet. Why? Because there is less surface area to drag.

Long bullets have a reputation for having high BCs because longer bullets usually have long sleek noses, sleek boat tails and are on the heavy side. Raw length does BCs no favors.

Michael, I understand your explaining and I agree. That being said, I do also believe
that if we limit bullet comparisons to the same "bullet material" l and the same "bullet weight", the longer bullet
will always be more aerodynamic with of course a higher BC.

Originally Posted by Michael Eichele
Actually bullet length in and of itself has nothing to do with making a better BC. Longer noses and to some degree longer boat tails yes but raw length actually hurts the BC. Equal nose profiles, meplats and boat tails, yet one bullet is made out of copper and the other jacketed lead and weigh the same. Guess which one is longer. You guessed it. The copper one. Which one has a higher BC? The jacketed lead bullet. Why? Because there is less surface area to drag.

Long bullets have a reputation for having high BCs because longer bullets usually have long sleek noses, sleek boat tails and are on the heavy side. Raw length does BCs no favors.

And if we compare the 210 LR AB to the 210 Berger VLD the LR AB is slightly longer, however it is also made of more jacket material and a plastic tip giving it a lower specific gravity as well as more bearing surface. My guess is that it is very close to the same BC as the VLD which would make it about .1 in G1 less than advertised.

And if we compare the 210 LR AB to the 210 Berger VLD the LR AB is slightly longer, however it is also made of more jacket material and a plastic tip giving it a lower specific gravity as well as more bearing surface. My guess is that it is very close to the same BC as the VLD which would make it about .1 in G1 less than advertised.

Agree with that......Rich

I can't say I disagree.

It's all good man...No worries. My local shop will hopefully get some soon. They've been waitin on a Berger delivery for a while. It's probably any time now.

I appreciate the offer.

Jay. I shot some of the 210 ACLR Bullets today at some distance. I was shooting on sand rocks and measuring the groups with the reticle. I was very pleased. As near as I could tell every shot was under 1/2 moa verticle. Wind drift all under 1 1/4 moa. Most of the shots were at 990, 1315 , 1526. About 35 shots total. In the 300 win mag they shot about half the group size that I get with 190 or 210 Berger's. I was very pleased! This is a message I recieved today from John porter, Sounds like they shoot well, I did ask about the stated bc but have not heard back from him yet. I will keep ya posted. Jay

have you heard if he has shot anymore yet or not?gun)

I haven't heard anything new, but they have been giving shooting schools in Florida and north Dakota the last week. Joe Cunningham is heading to Africa on Tuesday with a 100 of the 210 loaded in 300 win, should be getting some news on terminal performance real soon. I have talked with a couple of other folks who have been testing them they all say they shoot great but still no hard data on the actual bc, just that its close. I will keep ya posted!

I haven't heard anything new, but they have been giving shooting schools in Florida and north Dakota the last week. Joe Cunningham is heading to Africa on Tuesday with a 100 of the 210 loaded in 300 win, should be getting some news on terminal performance real soon. I have talked with a couple of other folks who have been testing them they all say they shoot great but still no hard data on the actual bc, just that its close. I will keep ya posted!
Do you know what town in ND?

Ok, i am from Dickinson, the SW corner, and didnt hear anything about them coming. I have a friend that says he has shot their rifles and even hunted with them, although this is the same dude who says their system can, and i quote, "kill game easily out to 2 miles." :rolleyes:

They are with Derek Betz, he owns a shop in minot, John porter is up there, as far as killing an animal @2 miles with a Botw rifle, im afraid your friend was pulling your leg, their rifles are very accurate and really sweet to shoot, Earl does an awesome job putting them together, but its still just a rifle, not an artillery piece. Let me see if I can track down Derek's# if ya want.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.