BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

Ya know, the Swift Scirocco II is the same length (actually .007 longer) as the Nosler LR AB. From the pics of the AB, it looks like it has a longer boat tail and a shorter nose than the Scirocco. My guess is the Scirrocco has a slightly higher BC which Litz lists as .491 G1 and .257 G7. I wonder how Nosler came up with .561 and .287? In any case, the Nosler kool-aid drinkers will believe what can't be true and buy them up.

I think if I was in the market for a plastic tipped cup and core I would go with the 140 AMax and if you have a 9 twist barrel it'll work for you.

I have a box of the Scirocco's I would be willing to part with for a reasonable price :)
My rifle isn't here yet. All pieces present and awaiting assembly. As it's a short action (Winchester Model 100) The Scirroco, AB, and A-max won't be first choice. Plan is to use the 123 A-Max as this will be more a predator rifle than anything. It is time to start putting together a few components, and the first choice isn't currently in stock anywhere I have looked. It will have the 1-9" twist so the stabilizing won't be a problem, and who knows an Antelope or Whitetail may end up on the menu. A trial of the various bullets will be a part of the process, so yeah if you have some Scirroco's burning a hole in your pocket let me know what you need to have for them. Partial boxes OK, maybe better for just trying a few.

i have shot noslers for years the plastic tips shoot great under.5 in my 7mag but i already had a good load in the partition and have hunted with it for years i have bought some silver tips to try my cousin shoots them they shoot good and have performed great for him i did not like the performance of the sierra match kings i tryed this year i suppose we will have to wait and see how these ALR perform keep shooting guys gun)ABOUT TIME TO TAKE BIG BUCK LONG RANGE SHOOTING 1000+gun)

Hmmm... never seen BOTW let alone knew there was a marriage and divorce. Seems to me it's a big deal about bullets you can't even buy. Should be a year or two before there's a decent cross section of hunters reporting back on performance.

Wake me when there's something to talk about.

My rifle isn't here yet. All pieces present and awaiting assembly. As it's a short action (Winchester Model 100) The Scirroco, AB, and A-max won't be first choice. Plan is to use the 123 A-Max as this will be more a predator rifle than anything. It is time to start putting together a few components, and the first choice isn't currently in stock anywhere I have looked. It will have the 1-9" twist so the stabilizing won't be a problem, and who knows an Antelope or Whitetail may end up on the menu. A trial of the various bullets will be a part of the process, so yeah if you have some Scirroco's burning a hole in your pocket let me know what you need to have for them. Partial boxes OK, maybe better for just trying a few.

You're about 2 days too late :rolleyes: sold them to another member in the Reloading Components FS forum. :cool:

I hear and realize benefits of bonding cores to jackets. But I have never seen bonded to be as consistent in grouping at long range. The benefit of BC is something we start to realize at distances past 800 and even more so at 1200+. So do we feel these bonded bullets will be able to hold the accuracy we need to be proficient at these distances? If not then I really care less about the BC they are labeled with. I also have a concern that at the extended distances and slowed impact velocities, they may or may not expand as well as a non-bonded bullet.

Am I alone in these concerns? I am in favor of the performance gains to be had at closer distances from a bonded bullet. But these are labeled as "Long Range" I seek a bullet that works best at the longest pokes where I need it to preform it's best. Closer shots are of less concern to me.

I'm just reading and thinking. Food for thought if you will. I will be watching for some reports on these. BC = less drift and drop, period. I want as much as I can get. But I demand consistency and wonder about giving up a highly expandable bullet if my point of impact is not perfect.

Jeff

Jeff, do you remember "goodgrouper"? He did a lot of work with the older Accubond and they worked amazingly well for him. This link is about a 1300 yards shot with a 225 gr. Accubond in 338.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/bull-elk-1302-yards-18217/

All I know is, that I'll keep shooting Bergers AND Accubonds, regardless of what some stupid host on a TV show shoots, and then tells you what you should shoot, b/c it will allow Ray Charles to make 1,000 yard drop-shots on a wooley mammoth. I know what works...So I'll stick with that.

Hmmm... never seen BOTW let alone knew there was a marriage and divorce. Seems to me it's a big deal about bullets you can't even buy. Should be a year or two before there's a decent cross section of hunters reporting back on performance.

Wake me when there's something to talk about.

+1. 100% on the money.

Just for fun I emailed Nosler and asked them how they came about with these BC's. This was their response: "We calculate mathematically and shoot prototypes to verify." Very basic and to the point, but I was surprised to hear that they actually shoot them to verify. Not that any of this matters, we still all need to see for ourselves, but I figured I would pass this along.

This is an interesting write-up so far on bullet performance, looks like it expands well up close and penetrate decent.
I do agree however that long range accuracy & BC is the big deal for this bullet, without good numbers there the purpose of design is lost. Time will tell on that one.
NoslerReloading.com • Information

Interesting thread, but why wasn't he out testing the BC's instead of blowing up milk jugs at 10 yards??? Common! Hahaha :)

Interesting thread, but why wasn't he out testing the BC's instead of blowing up milk jugs at 10 yards??? Common! Hahaha :)

Which is why I made the comment I made.

It will be interesting if he tests long range as he stated he would & that's why I think this may be a thread to check later.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.