Bore Snakes

General RE LEE

Yep a quick post about a rather simple tool: Bore Snake

I've got to where I just run it through one pass after the range with no solvent (dry)

Is it better to add solvent and make multiple passes? I'd rather just run a cleaning rod and solvent if I wanted to do that.

I see a Bore Snake as a tool to knock out the bulk of the powder just resting on the surface of the bore. It's not a true cleaning tool.

I do the same (dry) cleaning for both my handguns and rifles after shooting at the range and before I leave the range.
Don't want to be stopped on the way home with a recently fired weapon. 😂
I still go the whole cleaning routine after two or three outings when I am back at home.

Just be careful that you keep the line centered in the bore as you draw the snake through your barrel...try not to burn the line across the edge of the crown.
Good luck!
This is good advice! Dragging the bore snake across the crown of the barrel is one of the worst things that I can imagine. The carbon that it picks up is very abrasive.

I have a savage 93r17 that shoots tight groups up to 10 rounds then opens up, I found running a bore snake through then 2 fouling shots it tightens up again, then you have 8 shots and repeat process.
I'm talking about chasing one hole groups though.
Every rifle is different and it pays to pay attention, map and try different things at the range, so you know how they behave in the field.
I use a one peice rod and completely scrub clean and oil after use, the bore snake is purely a field expedient item in my kit.

Just last night I spotted an can of aerosol carb cleaner in the garage. Got me to thinking 'barrel vertical, muzzle down, give it a spray and let drain.' Wonder how effective that will be?

The bore snakes that I own and have never used all have a bronze brush embedded in them. Am tempted to cut those off before I do use them.

This is good advice! Dragging the bore snake across the crown of the barrel is one of the worst things that I can imagine. The carbon that it picks up is very abrasive.

Wouldn't a copper jacketed lead bullet going 2800 FPS with hot gases and carbon be more damaging to the crown than a Bore Snake being pulled through the bore?

Not necessarily. Whatever wear a bullet might do to the crown will be radially uniform. A bore snake can wear the crown in just one spot. I doubt that one time would be measurable, but we're all creatures of habit. We all will likely hold the rifle one particular way which will have the snake passing thru the crown with one particular bias. A death of a thousand cuts, so to speak.

Not necessarily. Whatever wear a bullet might do to the crown will be radially uniform. A bore snake can wear the crown in just one spot. I doubt that one time would be measurable, but we're all creatures of habit. We all will likely hold the rifle one particular way which will have the snake passing thru the crown with one particular bias. A death of a thousand cuts, so to speak.
Are you referring to pulling the bore snake starting at the muzzle end? If so, I never and thought it was a given, to start the pull from the chamber, no different than cleaning with a rod from the chamber end.

I'm talking pulling the snake from the chamber to the muzzle where you have the full length of the snake to unintentionally cause eccentric wear on the crown.

Just last night I spotted an can of aerosol carb cleaner in the garage. Got me to thinking 'barrel vertical, muzzle down, give it a spray and let drain.' Wonder how effective that will be?

The bore snakes that I own and have never used all have a bronze brush embedded in them. Am tempted to cut those off before I do use them.
I have used Nulon carby cleaner before.
Just remember it removes all oils and the barrel will quickly form rust if it's not oiled directly afterwards.

Just be careful that you keep the line centered in the bore as you draw the snake through your barrel...try not to burn the line across the edge of the crown.
Good luck!
I have come to hate them after breaking one in my 17 Rem and 204 Ruger. I thought it was caused by solvents weakening the fabric and never considered the crown. I may have to dig them out of the safe and give them another chance since they sure are useful for a quick range clean up,