Anyone using bore snakes?

Oldschool280

Ive been using brass rods to clean my rifles for 30 years, wanted to replace one and went to the local gunshop today and was told that that was "old technolgy,," and that boresnakes were the wave of the future. What say you experienced gent's ( and ladies if any)

Hmmmmm

So I'm supposed to run what amounts to a DIRTY SOCK that has been thru God knows how many different barrels and distribute the grime off of that dirty sock in my barrel

No thanks. I had a guy at a store who wanted to see my gun. So I brought it in. Shop owner peers in and says "Hey let me clean that for ya real quick as he pulls out a BORESNAKE".
Put that thing or anything else in that Hart barrel and I will shoot you with it.

Also I am not a fan of brass rods either. It isn't JOINTED is it?

No its not jointed, i settled on a stainless rod with a bore guide for now but looking for the right setup

Hmmmmm

So I'm supposed to run what amounts to a DIRTY SOCK that has been thru God knows how many different barrels and distribute the grime off of that dirty sock in my barrel

No thanks. I had a guy at a store who wanted to see my gun. So I brought it in. Shop owner peers in and says "Hey let me clean that for ya real quick as he pulls out a BORESNAKE".
Put that thing or anything else in that Hart barrel and I will shoot you with it.

Also I am not a fan of brass rods either. It isn't JOINTED is it?

+1

Using Dewey coated rods for years.

Good luck

Jerry

I use the Dewey one piece coated rod also. Love it. Also use Gunslick Pro foaming bore cleaner so I have to only run 4 patches to get it clean. You do have to wait a couple of hours for the copper to drip out the barrel but that isn't a problem most of the time.

I have some bore snakes that I carry in my range bag. On a couple rifles, I pull a bore snake thru about every 30 rounds and then clean them with a regular rod and patches about every 100 rounds. Works pretty well for me.

Also if you are hunting in the rain and get water or just moisture condensation from high humidity in the barrel a bore snake can easily get it out while in the field.

I have one purely for wet field conditions. Not as my main form of cleaning but as a quick way to get moisture out if its raining. Seems to work well for my intended use.

With the proper solvent you really don't need to use brushes these days. All I have been using for years cost maybe 2 cents. Have you got a weed eater? Take a piece of weed eater line about a foot longer than your barrel. Sharpen one end and with a flame melt the other end and press it against something like a coffee cup and form a button. You can cut/sand the button end to just fit inside your bore. With the sharp end stick it through the middle of a cloth patch and push the patch down to the button. Dip the patch into your solvent. Then stick the sharpened end into the chamber end of the barrel and push it through and out the muzzle then grab it and pull the patch through the bore and out. Let the solvent work for a few minutes then repeat with a dry patch or two and repeat with solvent if needed. You can clean any firearm from the chamber end like you should and not worry about harming the crown on the muzzle. You can wrap this cleaning line up and put it and a few patches with a little bottle of your favorite solvent in a zip lock bag and carry it with you when hunting just in case. You can poke mud out of the bore with this line. :rolleyes: Don't ask how I know.

morning I use snakes at the range after shooting 10 rounds or more. use them in my

shotguns after hunting and range use.

THK. Ulightbulb:)gun)

I have some bore snakes that I carry in my range bag. On a couple rifles, I pull a bore snake thru about every 30 rounds and then clean them with a regular rod and patches about every 100 rounds. Works pretty well for me.

Also if you are hunting in the rain and get water or just moisture condensation from high humidity in the barrel a bore snake can easily get it out while in the field.

First off I think you hit the nail on the head for the use of the bore snake.

For me it been more of a tool in the process of finding a point at where my barrel has been fouled a little and it cleans a little so it keeps the barrel in a sweet spot longer. When load testing I run it through after the initial 3 shots to season/foul the barrel before testing. Then I run it through after every 5 shots during testing.

For hunting once I have an established load I cleaned the gun to bare metal and then foul with about 5 shots. I run the snake through about 2-3 times and I know my gun is ready to go on some long range shots. So I use it more as a setup and during shooting and between cleaning aid to keep the condition of the barrel close to the same as possible and in a sweet spot for a much longer time. Also will add this is generally been the case on factory barrels for me. I've been using the snake about 5 to 6 years in this manner as it never really cleaned all the way to get rid of copper and all the powder fouling.

Boresnakes are the wave to ride to not having a clean barrel!

I use Boretech rods, boretech brushes and boretech solvent. All awesome products.

X2

Boresnakes are for those AR guys who don't believe they need to clean their rifle anyway

Boretech products all the way

Yep, bore snakes are good for their intended use, but I would advise you to clean your bore snake too. I put mine in a old sock with some laundry detergent and throw it in the washer, comes out clean and ready to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts