Boone & Crockett New Technology Statement on Fair Chase

So.....a Burris Eliminator scope isn't considered Fair Chase by B&C.... ??
It is now, according to the geniuses over at B&C. This one reads like it came from "the Onion"

Knowing the range to a target is a critical piece of information for the ethical harvest of big game animals. Rangefinders are a valuable and accepted tool, as are riflescopes. Combining the two into one device (aka, "smart scope"), however, is a step too far. When technology becomes a substitute for using basic skills in the field (or a hunter is simply "buying" skills), this is where technology undermines the hunting experience.

Cellular cameras, smart scopes and smart phones are added to their position statement for "Fair Chase".
Sir,

Would you mind explaining the "intent" of your post, just want clarification if you don't mind doing so? At least for me, it made me spill my coffee, in believing these technologies are prohibited by B&C under fair chase? Thankfully not the case since I just read both their positions on "long range hunting" updated Oct 2021 and "technology and hunting" updated Dec 2021.

To be clear.... B&C position regarding technologies is that if the device is legal in the state or province you are hunting they are ok with it and you (the Hunter) has to decide if you want to use it or not.

In their words .....

"That is why the Club encourages everyone that hunts or mentors young hunters to ensure the use of technology does not demean the hunter-prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance of the animal or the spirit of the hunt. Inevitably, each of us will have to choose if easier is better."

Last edited:
But you can have a friend right next to you with a ballistic rangefinder and/or ballistic calculator calling out adjustments? I don't see a difference
Have you ever had a buddy call out the wrong adjustments or screw up spinning a turret. I did just last spring on a bear hunt. I ranged him at 975, dialed my elevation. Bear walked behind some trees, so I ran up the logging road a few hundred yards to get a better angle. Ranged him at 925. Layed down and sent it right over his back 🤦🏻‍♂️. Forgot to adjust the turret back to 925. Bear lived to see another day. If I am using a smart scope the bear is dead. It is possible that I am the only idiot to have ever done something like that before…at least that is how I felt when I realized the mistake I made. Lol

Sir,

Would you mind explaining the "intent" of your post, just want clarification if you don't mind doing so? At least for me, it made me spill my coffee, in believing these technologies are prohibited by B&C under fair chase? Thankfully not the case since I just read both their positions on "long range hunting" updated Oct 2021 and "technology and hunting" updated Dec 2021.

To be clear.... B&C position regarding technologies is that if the device is legal in the state or province you are hunting they are ok with it and you (the Hunter) has to decide if you want to use it or not.

In their words .....

"That is why the Club encourages everyone that hunts or mentors young hunters to ensure the use of technology does not demean the hunter-prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance of the animal or the spirit of the hunt. Inevitably, each of us will have to choose if easier is better."
My intent? Its an FYI, Its in ICYM it, its whatever you want it to be. This was interesting to see on top of both UT and AZ banning game cameras which has been discussed to death everywhere. Several states prohibiting "smart scopes" add to this ongoing maze of technology development in hunting. This is a relatively new statement by BC on December 6, 2021 then revised on January 7, 2022 and IMO worthy of posting. I made no statement on how I feel and my position really doesn't matter. Its your decision on how you wish to interpret their position and how you decide to hunt. My ethics are not open for interpretation nor discussion nor do I care what yours are as long as it is legal.

BC made it clear it is up to a hunter to decide and they have just provided additional thoughts on it.

"The Club acknowledges that Fair Chase is a subjective term that represents a spectrum of behavior shaped by personal choice. The Entry Affidavit requirements are intended to provide a baseline for ethical hunting—not limit the concept of Fair Chase. It is up to every hunter to expand from this minimum standard and develop their own ethical code of conduct in the field."

Now I am curious, what is the issue with this posting?

My intent? Its an FYI, Its in ICYM it, its whatever you want it to be. This was interesting to see on top of both UT and AZ banning game cameras which has been discussed to death everywhere. Several states prohibiting "smart scopes" add to this ongoing maze of technology development in hunting. This is a relatively new statement by BC on December 6, 2021 then revised on January 7, 2022 and IMO worthy of posting. I made no statement on how I feel and my position really doesn't matter. Its your decision on how you wish to interpret their position and how you decide to hunt. My ethics are not open for interpretation nor discussion nor do I care what yours are as long as it is legal.

BC made it clear it is up to a hunter to decide and they have just provided additional thoughts on it.

"The Club acknowledges that Fair Chase is a subjective term that represents a spectrum of behavior shaped by personal choice. The Entry Affidavit requirements are intended to provide a baseline for ethical hunting—not limit the concept of Fair Chase. It is up to every hunter to expand from this minimum standard and develop their own ethical code of conduct in the field."

Nothing - he probably uses a Burris Eliminator and he got his feelings hurt…lol.

I never said I had an issue - I asked you to clarify and clarify does not mean I disagree with it - I asked because you never put your point of view on it and just posted I and I was hoping you had some inside information that was not in those position statements.

That said, you simply have to look at the few comments your post generated, and they like myself, thought B&C was banning the devices you mentioned and that Sir is a form of "gaslighting"

I like many on this forum compete in PRS / ELR etc and do a lot of long range hunting ( no smart scopes in those worlds) so technology being challenged catches my interest. So instead of getting a bit worked up when someone asks you a question by saying..."my ethics are not open for interpretation nor discussion nor do I care what yours are as long as it is legal" >>> you do realize this is an open forum and people join here to DISCUSS our sport and not just simply accept what someone posts and MIGHT EVEN want to know the OP's opinion is - as I did in this case. < but hey color me wrong on that one.....I'd call you an @ss but you made that clear to me already.

Last edited:
I am all for it. I use a lot of technology....every day in the field....from primers to broadheads. I see clearly where technology is reducing our time allowed for hunting (along with many other things) and I dont have any issue with simple things such as entry into a record book being eliminated because of technology. Small example for me.....I hunt deer with a compound bow, adjustable fiber optic sight, super technical release, graphite arrows, range finder, etc. etc. If they allowed "bare bow, straight stick, single string, finger release" archers a few extra days a year would not bother me one bit and I encourage it.