Bolt recess counter bore.

LRSickle

What barrel recess counter bore tool do I need for a mag face bolt in a Rem 700? Does anyone know of a list where I can look up the counter bores for different actions and bolts?

The most common is .705" diameter and .150" deep for a Remington unless it has a M-16 extractor and then it is bigger diameter.

I am not a fan of form tools. Every bolt is different. A custom rifle deserves a perfect fit. I draw up a bolt and action blueprint for every barrel job. Measure your bolt head and cut the bolt recess for .010" clearance on diameter and depth. Front of lugs to end of barrel I set at .010" as well. Depending on application and customer preference these can be adjusted. Sometimes you have to custom grind a tool to achieve what you want.

I am not a fan of form tools. Every bolt is different. A custom rifle deserves a perfect fit. I draw up a bolt and action blueprint for every barrel job. Measure your bolt head and cut the bolt recess for .010" clearance on diameter and depth. Front of lugs to end of barrel I set at .010" as well. Depending on application and customer preference these can be adjusted. Sometimes you have to custom grind a tool to achieve what you want.
Good info Hired Gun. Thank you.
So, measure from the front of the boltface while it's in the receiver with a depth gauge, measure back from the shoulder on the tennon to the chamber end of the barrel and calculate the depth using those two measurements? Or, install my action with the bolt installed onto the barrel and measure the gap between the receiver and the tennon shoulder?
I just ordered Gordy's DVD. Hopefully it will be here soon. I have to fly into Kodiak Thursday to pick up an action I ordered a month ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.