Boar Down for first time hog hunter

Double Naught Spy

A buddy of the landowner where I do a lot of hunting came down from Colorado last week to hunt some hogs. I was offered up to "guide" him for the hunt since I do most of the hog hunting on the property. I set him up with my daughter's Grendel on which has a new IR Hunter MKII scope and put him in a stand where the most recent hog activity had been. I sat in another stand on the other side of the property and we stayed in touch via texting and radios. On the first night, he spied 2 hogs, but never took a shot. I saw zilch

For the second night, we went of the ROE again and I am pleased to say that while I still saw absolutely nothing of consequence, he got his first hog ever! He made an excellent shot on a moving target at 120 yards.

[ame]https://youtu.be/o6RXeTQkSi8[/ame]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6RXeTQkSi8&feature=youtu.be

Great video.

I have got to sell enough stuff to pay for one of those IR Hunter scopes. Ive been looking at them for over a year now comparing them to others. The IR Hunter is really the direction I'm going to go based on checking them out last year at SHOT Show.

I have a bunch of thermal imaging experience from the helicopter, but that unit would be a bit difficult to hook up to my rifle!!!

We need to check them out again this year at SHOT. The clarity of that scope is pretty sweet.

At native magnification, I think they have the best image of any scope out there. At 2 times zoom, it is still VERY GOOD. At 4 times and 8 times, the imaging smoothing firmware really kicks in and blurs the edges to reduce the blockiness of pixelation that will occur. It makes the image not look blocky, but at the same time, it makes it look out of focus and that drives me nuts. For some people, the blockiness of pixelation drives them nuts. Either way, excessive zoom results in much less resolution (and this goes for other brands as well).

My boss at Third Coast Thermal really likes to sell the IR Hunter's, in part, because they are much easier to learn. I have to agree, it is an easy scope to learn. Definitely, if I was wanting to rent a scope for the weekend, it would be the scope I want. More "difficult" to learn scopes usually have more features/options and users get familiar with them very quickly and can be experts after a few outtings. With the IR Hunter MKII, folks become "experts" pretty much on their first night.

I am really enjoying using the MKII. I may have to get one next year, but then the question will be if it would be the MKII or MKIII.

i was looking at the mkII and mkIII a while back but wasn't sure if the III was out yet. at least i didn't find any reviews on it. if i'm not mistaken, doesn't it have the ability to switch between 30 and 60 hz?? not sure if that would be useful, but i'd would have liked to try it. i think it also had something like a 12 micron blobmeter... or whatever it's called.. lol.

Both the MKII and MKIII have 12 micron microbolometers. Both units have the ability to be used on 30 or 60hz, but for video, both have to be run on 60hz.

The lower number of microns means less space between pixels, which is a good thing, allowing for a better image with a smaller lens...and the lenses are a very large cost of the materials used in the scopes as they are made from rare earth materials such as germanium.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.