first blood-hog down

rdsii64

hello folks. For my fathers day present, my wife booked a hunt for me at one of those fenced ranch operations. some folks hate them and others don't mind. Well Now that I have experienced one I can offer an opinion without relying on hear say. Even though this has been my first hunt, I am sure that going after a free ranging animal will offer a challenge above what I found on this fenced ranch operation. This place did however offer quite the challenge for a first timer like my self. It didn't take long for me to realize that while there were ferrel pigs all over the place, the monster pig in my minds eye wasn't going to just walk out front of me. If I wanted a pigasoraus I was going to have to get off the trails and go deep in the draws and pull one out. when it was all said and done, I shot a 230 pounder that took two people to drag out to the main trail. If anything, I learned what kind of physical endurance is required for hunting steep terrain fence or no fence. The bug has truly bit me and I still have much to learn. I am now looking forward to stalking a free ranging wild boar.

in closing we all have out opinions of fenced hunting operations, I happen to think that as long as they offer some level of challenge they are the perfect gateway drug to hook novice hunters such as my self. I had a great time and nothing tastes as good as something you killed. pics are in the mobile me link. MobileMe Gallery

kill it, grill it and God bless America

So long as you understand fenced hunting is just a "Gateway Hunt" you'll be fine.

Nice first hunt, Congratulations.

Give us some more pics and specs on your rifle.
My rifle is a Howa 1500 varmint supreme chambered in .308 Winchester with a Roedale precision brake. Its mounted in a Bell and Carlson MkII medalist stock that is fully aluminum bedded. The scope is a fixed 12 power mil/mil WOTAC from Matt Wonders at Wonder OPtics.

Good perspective on it! My first ever hunt was the same kind of deal. It's good, IMHo, when a novice hunter has a success experience or at least oportunity during their first hunt. Last trip to Texas for free ranging wild boar, came home without any hogs. It sure is a tough hunt. That along with some stupid mistakes on my part (nightforce one rev off zero) cost me a 300lb+ hog. I am still kicking myself because of it. But ah well, that's hunting and I love it.

Good perspective on it! My first ever hunt was the same kind of deal. It's good, IMHo, when a novice hunter has a success experience or at least oportunity during their first hunt. Last trip to Texas for free ranging wild boar, came home without any hogs. It sure is a tough hunt. That along with some stupid mistakes on my part (nightforce one rev off zero) cost me a 300lb+ hog. I am still kicking myself because of it. But ah well, that's hunting and I love it.
Funny you should mention Texas, I am looking onto The Pope Brothers Guide service for my next attempt at Hogs.

Nice pig, and good hunting. Souns like you had fun and that's what's important not whether it's fenced or not. Hats off to the misses...very nice of her to do that for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.