Bitten by the rifle building bug!

Bang4theBuck

I really can no longer say that I 'have to have' another rifle. It is all about want and feeding the addiction. So, my latest project is a Savage 110 (non-accutrigger). It is currently chambered in 270 Win, with a sporter weight barrel. The barrel and action have really nice gloss bluing on them, which I am thinking should stay the way it is. I am thinking that I am going to build it in 300 PRC or 6.5x284. The idea being to build a medium distance Elk / Occassional long range target rifle out of it. All of my recent purchases have been Varmint Weight barrels to add stiffness, and cut down on recoil. I am ready to order my barrel and wondered if I could get a few opinions on what contour you would like to see on this rifle, if it were yours. I may build it, load for it, make it shoot, take it on a hunt, and then maybe sell it. So, I don't want to install something that is only attractive/functional for me. I also don't want to start a caliber debate, if possible. I've got other rifles in quite a few of the calibers that surround these two, and I am making my decision based on availability of good factory ammo, and pure performance toward the intended use mentioned above. Let's hear it!

If you are looking to resale possibly, I would look at the 6.5 PRC over the 6.5x284. Ammo would be cheaper and it's a hotter cartridge currently. I'd go with a No 4 or 5. The problem is going to be keeping it gloss blued. You'll have to send it out to get that done. I'd probably look into Ceracoat for resale.

Make sure you know what kind of feed system it is. I would assume it is a stagger feed, which means when you take the rifle apart, the magazine box stays attached to the action. If it is a stagger feed then go with a 6.5 PRC, due to magazine restriction length.

If I were building it, I would start with what stock you wanted and reverse build it from the stock. Savage stocks can be few and far between for a long action stagger feed rifle. Once you figure out your stock, then you can figure out barrel profile and cartridge.

I've built many savage rifles and this is the method I've started going with. It makes things easier in the long run.

I fully understand the rifle building bug. I have the same unscratchable itch.

6.5-.284 Norma, #3 or #3b fluted @ 24" 1:8" w. side port brake. Then, you will probably want to keep it.
Lapua brass
Fed GM210M or CCI BR2
140 HVLD
3000+fps

wondered if I could get a few opinions on what contour you would like to see on this rifle, if it were yours.

For your stated purpose I would probably choose (if it were mine) something along the lines of a heavy sporter/light palma contour. Check out Criterion barrels for that Savage.

6.5x284 and PRC are the same case ballisticly speaking. Bolt face is different, but both need an intermediate length action to be run with long heavy bullets seated properly. Prc has advantages in cheap quality OTC ammo, 6.5x284 has advantage of lapua brass. ADG is making prc brass, which is similar to par with lapua. Prc is non rebated rim Magnum, 284 case is rebated rim standard bolt face, some guys don't like how rebated rims feed from push feed actions off rails, if you're going to run detach magazines, they'll feed about the same. I run 6.5 saum, which is a slight step up from these two by 5 grains case capacity. It is also a good cartridge.

I have had 2 Savage prefits. One was a Rem Sendero contour 28 inches long in 260 Rem. Too heavy so the next one I ordered was 24 inch with a #5 contour. It knocked over a pound off the weight and I can I take it hiking while hunting.

Great feedback....keep it coming! To further clarify what I have to work with, the 111 looks to be a center feed. It has a box drop magazine, a top bolt release, and is long action, so should be fine for either cartridge. It does not have an accutrigger, but with adjustment was able to get the trigger down to just under 3lbs, with very little over travel.

The 300prc will need a new bolt face. So the 6.5 284 might be what ya need unless of course ya dont mind replacing it.

The .264 is one i wouldnt mind. Its faster and winchester brass is good and affordable. My freind Has one and has me sight it in and load for it. Its really nice having a magnum with no muzzle brake and still dont beat me to death.

A muzzle brake is fine except when your hunting you could blow your buddys ear drum out. That one has really grown on me. He has killed a few elk and a bear bear with it.

The triggers on my old (pre accutrigger 110) flatbacks got some easy work done. Pulled the spring our thats about .080 and replaced it woth spinner bait wire about .035. Bend with needle nose to match. Dont go below 2lbs is what ive read for safty.

I cycled the action quite bit before i left it where it is. Made a big difference.

Last edited:
Savage 10/Blackhole Weaponry 6.5 x 284 barrel. Rock River Operator Stock, Leupold Mark 4 Scope, MDT LSS Chassis, Atlas Bipod.
IMG_0292.jpg

I too have been bitten by the bug. I am leaning to a .338 win mag or 33 nosler. I have been told to use a custom action for resale value, but I wouldn't be selling this one. So I am going with a trued 700 long action. A 26" barrel with a brake should do fine for me. I am going to use a walnut or maple stock. I love the wood look and want to finish and fit one myself. It will be a hunting rifle so 1/4 moa isn't required and I wont be shooting over 500 yards.....I hope

If you plan on packing it I would go with a 3-3b contour a lot of people like a # 5 also just heavier my 2 cents good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.