Best stock rifle for under $1000?

ive read the recoil is decent on the 300rums and 338 rums, figured a nice recoil pad would help if this is the route I choose. the sps is the best priced rum ive found so far at just over 600. would be roughly the same price as the tikka t3 300 winny.
The recoil is tolerable with a good muzzle brake and a good recoil pad. Absent those two it's pretty nasty which is why you see so many "barely used" "Like new with less than a box of shells through it" type ads here in the classifieds as well as other places.

Most people find rather quickly that cannonitis causes problems with the shooting side neck and shoulder and are then willing to sell them at a bargain just to get away from them.

The super magnums have a dedicated following but we accept that with that power comes a hell of a lot of recoil that has to be managed or ameliorated.

I'm a pretty stout guy and not particularly recoil sensitive but absent a brake and good recoil pad my 300 wm's are all the recoil I want to put up with.

That being said probably my all time favorite rifle to shoot just for fun is my 375 Ruger (bolt guns) and my 45-70's otherwise.

thoughts on the Remington 700 sps in 300rum? thanks
Not a bad platform to start with but there have been some people complaining of QC issues with the later production models of the last three years.

Put a good brake on it, put it in a decent stock with a good recoil pad though and replace the trigger and with a little load work you can probably get to having a decent shooter without spending a ton of money.

Thanks gang, yes it would be nice to be able to shoot before ya but lol and so many options out there for setups to get or have built up.... decisions decisions

While I like the Remington Milspecs, I continue to be impressed with the Savage rifles. I have a LRH in 6.5-284, a LRP in 260, and a Predator in 22-250. All three produced benchrest accurscy right out of the box. While it's nothing fancy, the LRH is very well designed for a versatile hunting rifle that can be carried all day but still have enough mass to handle precion shots at long range. This is a 500 yard group with 140 VLDs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 72
thoughts on the Remington 700 sps in 300rum? thanks

I actually bought this exact rifle a few years back. Put it in a B&C stock, bedded it, and replaced the trigger with a Timney. Solid 1/2 MOA rifle now. The couple things I would tell you is first off, you should be able to find it for less than $600. I think I got mine brand new for $515? Also, I would suggest looking into the Rem 700 Long Range model. Not a whole lot more expensive, but you get a solid platform to start with and would really only need to replace the trigger on it.

Main deciding factor was I don't think Ive read one bad thing about them and they are supposed to be as accurate as anything you can get for the money. I wanted a 338 rum but will have to wait on that for a little longer lol plus the ammo cost and availability as I don't reload myself.

Ended up going with a Tikka T3 Lite 300win mag
Main deciding factor was I don't think Ive read one bad thing about them and they are supposed to be as accurate as anything you can get for the money. I wanted a 338 rum but will have to wait on that for a little longer lol plus the ammo cost and availability as I don't reload myself.

any opinions on factory ammo for it? 180grain or heavier for long range?

As I stated last month, I have a Tikka T3 (in caliber .308) so I personally think you made a great choice. I've had it for 6 years and it's been totally reliable. I mounted a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 and I use it for hunting Boar, and large deer using affordable Federal P308E/180gr or Federal P308TT2/165gr for smaller game such as Whitetail deer, badgers, etc. at distances up to 300 mtrs. I haven't had any reasons to complain about the rifle or the ammo. I also hunt with a Weatherby Vanguard and a Mossberg 4x4 both 30.06, a Blaser R93 .308 and a Rem 700/270 Win but when I get that late call to go on an unscheduled/unplanned hunt after work, more often than not I will reach in the safe and grab the Tika. And that's my thoughts on the under $1000 best rifle subject :D

Nice lol I just couldn't find another rifle in the price range that had as good reviews as the Tikka did. There was a Rem700 sps in 300rum for about the same money that I was looking at but the reviews weren't very good at all for the sps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.