Best stock rifle for under $1000?

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I bought a brand new Tika T3 Laminate (.308[/FONT]) 6 years ago. I coupled it with a Zeiss Conquest Duralyt 3-12x50. [FONT=&quot]The package puts you [FONT=&quot]not too much over a $1500 budget.[/FONT][/FONT] It's my all arounder. Here in Germany I can use it for hunting everything between a fox and a 300 lb wild boar. It's light, it's accurate at 300 mtrs and it looks good. What more should I want? :D

P.S. I also have in the under $1000 category a Weatherby Vanguard (30.06), Remington 700 (.270win) and a Mossberg 4x4 (30.06).
[/FONT]

Attachments

• RIFLE TIKA T3 .308 (1).jpg
    RIFLE TIKA T3 .308 (1).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I haven't read anything negative on the tikkas yet, Id definitely like to get a 338 rum but for the money the tikka 300win seems to be a pretty good deal. Im still undecided though, its between a xcr 338 rum and tikka t3 300 win right now.

+1 on the Tikka far better than most out of the box I used to be a rem fan until I shot a tikka now if I had to buy a factory gun it would be Tikka , I also just bought a Cheap 243 for my son In a savage ,and it will shoot 1 inch group at 200 yards with cheap scope they put on it ,and hand loads !!

nice! ive read a lot of good things about the new savages and rugers too.
I picked up an extremely low mileage .375 Ruger M77 MK two that has proven to be an extremely good shooter out of the box and I was more than a little impressed with the overall quality and fitment. A vast improvement over the old tang safety model I had in a 30-06 many moons ago. I also had an M77/22 in 22 hornet that was an excellent shooter for about 3000 Rds or so before it was finally cooked. Was going to rebarrel it but it was so badly damaged in a house fire we ended up just junking it.

lightbulbI hope it does not take the OP this long to make a decision.lightbulb
He's probably ready for another rifle by now and hoping his thread is still going. The cards are constantly being re-shuffled in the area of inexpensive rifles. Whether it be something new in the market or the refurbishing of an old model, everyday a rifle is being bought and someone is looking for advice. As far as I'm concerned, keep the thoughts coming :D

He's probably ready for another rifle by now and hoping his thread is still going. The cards are constantly being re-shuffled in the area of inexpensive rifles. Whether it be something new in the market or the refurbishing of an old model, everyday a rifle is being bought and someone is looking for advice. As far as I'm concerned, keep the thoughts coming :D

I hear you, it would drive me nuts if I have to wait that long for something I want/need. Sometimes we get too excited to contribute and forget it's an old thread ... sure would be nice if OP gives a quick update or so though. :cool:

i think im the one that brought this back from the grave after reading it lol i figured just use this thread to comment and ask on instead of starting another thread that's the same things. :D

thoughts on the Remington 700 sps in 300rum? thanks
Only what I've read in a few magazines and seen online. Mega recoil, expensive to shoot unless you are a re-loader but generally liked. There's an old thread on this rifle under Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics, Remington 700 SPS 300 RUM.

Check this on youtube:
remington 700 .300 ultra mag flaws review

Nostalgia Note: I personally like Remington, have a 270win that I inherited in 1995 when my father passed; left it as I got it. I've fired it at the range but haven't often taken it hunting... afraid of damaging it. :)

Attachments

• RIFLE REMINGTON 700 (1).jpg
    RIFLE REMINGTON 700 (1).jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 87
ive read the recoil is decent on the 300rums and 338 rums, figured a nice recoil pad would help if this is the route I choose. the sps is the best priced rum ive found so far at just over 600. would be roughly the same price as the tikka t3 300 winny.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.