Best Muzzle Crown??

CarbonLead

I have been talking to my local gunsmith he brought up the idea of taking an inch or 2 off the barrel of my savage 12 lrp to 24" to take a little flex out of the barrel. Then put an 11° target crown. As it is now I think it is recessed in a little then a flat crown. What would be the best crown to put on it?

I have been talking to my local gunsmith he brought up the idea of taking an inch or 2 off the barrel of my savage 12 lrp to 24" to take a little flex out of the barrel. Then put an 11° target crown. As it is now I think it is recessed in a little then a flat crown. What would be the best crown to put on it?
WHAAAAAAAAAAT?
IDK what crown you should use but I would really think about that before I did it unless its free and for fun.
Why do you think the barrel is "flexing"? The LRP is generally a pretty accurate rig, what is your goal with this and how much $$$?

Lol I am not saying it's overly flexing but that it may help with what little it does flex in the whole round about concept of barrel harmonics. Just an idea he tossed out there. I am not the most experienced and knowledgeable on the subject.

Lol I am not saying it's overly flexing but that it may help with what little it does flex in the whole round about concept of barrel harmonics. Just an idea he tossed out there. I am not the most experienced and knowledgeable on the subject.

I understand the why in general but WHY in your case? You were having the group within group issue right?
Seems to me like the smith is looking to make a $ or two and little more. What issues are you having that would make you think this is needed? Is your Savage a RED TRIGGER? What is he wanting to charge for this? You can put a custom barrel on it for under $300.

Savage Arms

Is this your gun?

If so I wouldn't go chopping on the barrel chasing some kind of harmonic issue. That thing should shoot and if it doesn't I doubt it is a harmonic issue that chopping on it will cure as this model is known for being brutally accurate with that barrel on it.

It's a lot more feasible to tune the harmonics with the LOAD or tape a penny to the barrel if it will satisfy the desire to tweak on it.

I understand the why in general but WHY in your case? You were having the group within group issue right?
Seems to me like the smith is looking to make a $ or two and little more. What issues are you having that would make you think this is needed? Is your Savage a RED TRIGGER? What is he wanting to charge for this? You can put a custom barrel on it for under $300.

Not having any issues with the rifle he just said it could help with accuracy being a longer barrel. Yes a red trigger. Not charge anything maybe trade a scope under $200 value. He is an older gentleman I have befriended. I don't think it would need a custom barrel the factory barrel is fine. The idea was it could help enhance what was already good.

Not having any issues with the rifle he just said it could help with accuracy being a longer barrel. Yes a red trigger. Not charge anything maybe trade a scope under $200 value. He is an older gentleman I have befriended. I don't think it would need a custom barrel the factory barrel is fine. The idea was it could help enhance what was already good.

That thing SHOULD be capable of under .5 MOA from the factory out to a long ways away. If you aren't getting that I would play with action screw torque and the bedding system, possibly re-headspace it or just the LOAD. You have what is one of the most accurate factory guns to ever leave a factory. I wouldn't start chopping pieces off of it UNLESS I REALLY knew what I was doing, WHY, what the possible benefit is and HOW it will achieve it.

That gun is winning pretty high level LR shoots STOCK without being hacked on.

What is the rig shooting like right now and what are you wanting it to achieve? What is your load? Does the barrel feel OK when you are cleaning? What is your rest system like?

I would tell you to sell the dang thing to someone before you do what you are proposing or send it back to Savage. I have seen those things run under .25 MOA at well beyond 1k. Chopping on it will most likely not improve on that performance.

The odds of improving your accuracy by chopping off the barrel are somewhere between slim and none unless there's a real serious problem with the last couple of inches inside the barrel or with the crown.

The gun can't shoot any more accurately than the shooter and the ammo it's being fed and for probably 99% of people having accuracy problems the problem is inconsistent ammo, a bullet too heavy for the twist, or user error.

lightbulbSorry but you need to find yourself another gunsmith - a reputable and competent one!lightbulb

I agree with toddc, the rifle is very capable at long ranges like the one in the video ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA?t=248[/ame]

There are many reasons to re crown a barrel and harmonics is just one of them. To effectively crown for harmonics, you/one should take 1/8'' at a time off the barrel and test the effects of it.
then do it again and see if you are heading in the right direction. Taking a couple of inches off will certainly effect the barrel rigidity and the harmonics but you may not gain any accuracy.

The main reason for re-crowning a barrel is to remove a poor or damaged crown or simply change the barrel length. The type of crown(If done correctly on a Lathe) makes very little difference in accuracy. It can make a large difference in durability depending on use.

My preference is the 11o crown because of function and durability. The 11o crown has an exit angle
of 101o of barrel (90+11) making the crown edge thicker at the exit giving it more durability than a 90o crown. (Again , it is not any better, just more durable).

The first decision you should make is whether or not to crown for the reasons posted. The next decision would be what crown to cut. My preference has always been the 11o, even with a brake installed for function and durability.

J E CUSTOM

There are many reasons to re crown a barrel and harmonics is just one of them. To effectively crown for harmonics, you/one should take 1/8'' at a time off the barrel and test the effects of it.
then do it again and see if you are heading in the right direction. Taking a couple of inches off will certainly effect the barrel rigidity and the harmonics but you may not gain any accuracy.

The main reason for re-crowning a barrel is to remove a poor or damaged crown or simply change the barrel length. The type of crown(If done correctly on a Lathe) makes very little difference in accuracy. It can make a large difference in durability depending on use.

My preference is the 11o crown because of function and durability. The 11o crown has an exit angle
of 101o of barrel (90+11) making the crown edge thicker at the exit giving it more durability than a 90o crown. (Again , it is not any better, just more durable).

The first decision you should make is whether or not to crown for the reasons posted. The next decision would be what crown to cut. My preference has always been the 11o, even with a brake installed for function and durability.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts