Muzzle brake crown carbon buildup

86alaskan

So, those of you that run brakes or quick mount brakes for suppressors, have you ever noticed your crown after shooting for a while? I ran about 30rds through my 260rem this weekend. Then, when i went to clean today i removed my standard brake to install a silencerco specwar brake. what i found was a large carbon buildup on the crown. It seems that the brake threads are deeper than the muzzle threads, which in turn creates a sort of chamber on the end of the muzzle. has anyone else noticed this? are all your brakes bottomed out on the threads or is there an empty space between the crown and the first hole in the brake? the space exists with the specwar brake too, so is this going to be a problem for me? I have the same setup on my 556 and 300blk ar's.

I think it happens to any rifle with a break on it. Just the nature of the beast. Use a good carbon remover when you have the break off for cleaning and your go to go. That's what I do.

The amount of carbon build up might vary depending on the muzzle brake design too. All of mine are ported on the sides ...

Benchmark%20Tactical%20MB%202%20of%203_zpswn2pm8bo.jpg

Benchmark%20Tactical%20MB%201%20of%203_zpsrmwq7e06.jpg

(Benchmark tactical mini on .300 WSM)

P1000033_zps8c1539df.jpg

(JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley on .270 AI)

P9030113.jpg

(Custom MB similar to Holland's QD on .338 WM)

I personally don't take them off too clean, just dust off any particles and wipe it off with cotton swabs and a light brush if needed, when I clean the barrel.

That JP is a good example of my Schuler brakes. the threaded portion is straight through, then the first side ports then it pinches down to caliber size hole. The SICO brake has a long thread portion, then a shoulder, then the standard side discharge ports. So, that shoulder basically creates a pocket of empty threads after the crown where the gas swirls. I hasn't had a negative effect on my accuracy yet. guess i'll just have to pull the brake from time to time and get it nice and clean.

The space exists with the specwar brake too, so is this going to be a problem for me?

I wouldn't expect any problems. Can't imagine how carbon buildup there would ever affect rifle performance / accuracy. I wouldn't even bother cleaning that recessed area. Just going to foul again and how could it ever affect rifle accuracy unless the fouling contacts the bullets?

yeah, I guess I can let it run until something happens. just curious more than anything. there was enough carbon after that string of rounds to physically chip off with a small screwdriver. I can't imagine what it'll look like after 100 or so.

86alaskan,

You might consider changing the powder in your current load to a powder which doesn't create as much fouling.

Regards.

I guess i could, its a 260rem, 22" barrel running 140gr SST over 45gr H4831sc. I'd hate to have to change, the thing shoots 5 shots in the .4's

I guess i could, its a 260rem, 22" barrel running 140gr SST over 45gr H4831sc. I'd hate to have to change, the thing shoots 5 shots in the .4's

H4831SC is my go to powder for most of my rifles; I don't have a .260 but I load my 6.5x55 with 18" barrel with 140 NAB and H4831SC without any excessive carbon deposit issues.

It's got to be because of that "chamber" on the muzzle. anyway, i won't sweat it unless it causes problems. it would be like having a backbored muzzle, then a caliber diameter hole at the end. your bullet leaves the rifling, travels through dead space then about 1/4" later encounters a caliber diameter hole. maybe it makes the brake better because it starts scrubbing gasses earlier? I don't know, no big deal.

Check this out. Something to look for when your muzzle brake gets lots of rounds through it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 311
Carbon build it is inevitable with the big magnums and for those that shoot a lot. I clean my muzzle brake out just about every time I clean my barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.