Best method for Sighting In for Groups

Montana73

What is the best conventional wisdom when shooting for groups at yardages like 100 yards and 200 yards, etc, etc. If you have a picatinny rail and a good bipod (Atlas), use it. Or use a bag rest on the forend to shoot groups.

Although the barrel is free floated, wonder if laying on a bag might have an effect where a bipod might be the better choice? Especially since you will be hunting with a bipod anyway.

Or doesn't it make any real difference?

Get this and the Next one and you will be good as it gets for shooting groups or some variation.
To practice for field use use what you will use in the field.

I like shooting woth a front rest and rear bag when doing load development or shooting for extreme accuracy.

Shooting from a bipod can also be done effectively too. However, I have found shooting from a bench (concrete) may cause less than desirable accuracy...shooting prone on the ground works best for me when using the bipod.

Anyway, you just have to try various techniques and see what works for you and the rifle. Good luck!

I use this (pictured) with a rear bag to get everything dialed in, then I go prone with the Harris or Mag-Pul bipod (no rear support) to simulate field shooting and practice. I front load the bipod enough to keep the butt of the stock in my shoulder when prone and there is sometimes a POI shift vertically but usually only .5 minute out to 300-400, so I don't worry too much about it.

Attachments

• 68B47377-A48B-454F-B6B0-1F5C3DC29083.jpeg
    68B47377-A48B-454F-B6B0-1F5C3DC29083.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
What is the best conventional wisdom when shooting for groups at yardages like 100 yards and 200 yards, etc, etc. If you have a picatinny rail and a good bipod (Atlas), use it. Or use a bag rest on the forend to shoot groups.

Although the barrel is free floated, wonder if laying on a bag might have an effect where a bipod might be the better choice? Especially since you will be hunting with a bipod anyway.

Or doesn't it make any real difference?
for load development and shooting groups I use a mechanical rest in the front and rabbit ear rear bag then for field use i sight in with bipod poi changes slightly

I'm a front rest and rear bag guy for load development, sighting in and LR work. I quit using the bipod a while ago, not sure why.
A couple of things I make a conscience effort on; make sure sling swivel stud and front rest aren't touching and to not drape my thumb over the grip.

It's been said but I'd sight in and group the way you plan on using the rifle. Frustrating to tune the rifle and load for one very specific situation and then never actually use it like that. If the way you primarily use the rifle doesn't produce the most accurate results, i would suggest practicing that first before busting out the F-Class front rest and monogrammed leather rear bag.

A bipod will leaned to more accuracy and learning the basics. Especially natural point of Aim, POA, and its importance. Also, with a bipod you need to learn how to pre load it. This helps with recoil and follow up shots. You will be able to spot your hits and misses this way as well.

I've noticed that my old man and buddies will open up their groups when they aren't loading a bipod properly. Learning that principle will help with hunting a lot. You can apply it to using a tripod, body position, you want to be able to call your shots and see your impacts, especially if you need to take a follow up shot.

Most rifles shot off a bag will jump up, causing you to lose your natural point of aim and visualizing your impacts

I'm a front rest and rear bag guy for load development, sighting in and LR work. I quit using the bipod a while ago, not sure why.
A couple of things I make a conscience effort on; make sure sling swivel stud and front rest aren't touching and to not drape my thumb over the grip.
The swivel studs can be a problem for sure!
I shoot most off harris bipod and a rear squeeze bag like len sells in his store. Im trying to avoid coffee an hour before i shoot now and avoid recieving texts from my wife till im done.
Some days i shoot pretty good.

I prefer to use a bipod with a rear bag as well. As long as I have the bipod loaded correctly and have the rifle tucked in to my shoulder snug, this method produces results just the same as a bench, for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.