sighting in new scope

nwcook

Looking for suggestions on best way to sight in new scope after its been bore aligned. Scope is Sightron 4x16 mil dot on a Howa 1500 Lighting .223 24"SS HB.
Wayne

Just did a couple of Encore barrels and had the scopes zeroed in no time. We put up a plain piece of paper at 20-25 yards with a small dot in the middle for an aiming mark. Fire one shot. Then reposition the rifle securely in the rest - no movement if possible - and put the crosshairs back on the aiming mark. Get a buddy to carefully move the crosshairs over to the bullet hole - he should be very carefull not to move the rifle as he does that. Next shot will hit the point of aim.
Setup a target at 100 and you should hit it somewhere reasonably close. You can repeat the previous method or simply crank the crosshairs the appropriate clicks to move the bullet to the point of aim or to your desired point of impact (if you prefer to have the zero a little high at 100 yards).
Good luck, sounds like a nice rig.

I set mine zeroed at 100 yards, bore sight dead on at bull looking down the bore while adjuating the scope to match.

Fire 3 shot holding on the bull. Lock the gun in the bags so it doesn't move at ALL, with the crosshair on the bull. Dial the vertical up or down to the same level as the center of the group. Dial the windage left or right to the center of the group and your done. If you move the scope/rifle after it's been set and locked on the bull, but before you are done aligning the crosshair to the bore/bullet path... you will be screwed.

You can do this in just one shot, dialing to it's center if you prefer. Works better doing it to the center of the group instead of a single shot if it isn't shooting bullet hole groups though.

Ian posted while I was typing (SLOWLY).
grin.gif

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts