Best long range target firearm

If I'm not already blocked…. I'll attempt to give a somewhat legitimate answer to your OP!

To better attempt to answer your question, much like some have stated……help us determine what your goals are, what your component limitations are, a basic idea of your financial limitations, and if the firearm will be used as a "in the field carry rifle", or a rifle that will be vehicle carried and used from a support system!

These topics addressed can afford knowledgable folks to offer you the best answer to your needs/wants! memtb

Last edited:
If you are looking for a rifle in the 50 bmg with barrel swap capabilities 408 and 375 Cheytac check into the Accuracy International rifles, they may sell these in Canada, a bit heavy for hunting. https://accuracyinternationalusa.com/accuracy-international-rifles/accuracy-international-ax50-elr/
I attached the US link but there is an international link for this company as well. They sell 338 Lapua, 300 win Mag 300 Norma as well as the Creedmoor lines. My dream rifle. Have fun and happy hunting.

Everyone has a different opinion on this but I have owned a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 30-378 mag for about 17 years and would say it's my go to for long range. I load 98 grns of H1000 and use 200 grn accubonds. It will kill anything I can see to shoot. You can find articles that were from Roy Weatherby about it. Super accurate at any range.

I am trying to find the best Long range cartridge. I know it varies throughout the grain sizes. I have the 220 swift, 300 wsm, 338 and 375 ultra mag and a lol 458 win mag. I'm wondering is there a hands down long range caliper?
I noticed the dude talking about hunting elk with the 460 weatherby!!!
All hamburger with a side order of bullet spice.

What do you define as LR? Personally, I use the 1/4 mile rule (SR, MR, LR, ELR) or our old NRA LR 800-1,000yd+, and then what are your intended purposes for those ranges? Elk? Steel? Targets?

If casual shooting then for elk and similar, your 300WSM and 338 RUM are very acceptable "calibers/cartridges" if in appropriate rifles, loads, etc. If for other, it may be something else.

"Hands down long range caliber" - Could be a host of answers based on various factors and goals: 300RUM, 338 Lapua or RUM, 375 Cheytac, 408 Cheytac, 416 Barret, 50 BMG, etc, etc. For most, it will be something less and practical.

Last edited:
Everyone has a different opinion on this but I have owned a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 30-378 mag for about 17 years and would say it's my go to for long range. I load 98 grns of H1000 and use 200 grn accubonds. It will kill anything I can see to shoot. You can find articles that were from Roy Weatherby about it. Super accurate at any range.
I think weatherby is the best commercially made fire arm. I only have 2 of them. I never touch either one. The 257 weatherby has taken everything on hooves. The 257 was Roy's favorite.

Unless you use an easily fragmenting bullet, let's say something designed for use in a 45-70 or similar…… you'd be surprised with the lack of tissue destruction created by the Weatherby, unless you hit heavy bone or push one through the shoulders. Even then a high velocity, frangible bullet of much smaller caliber will likely cause more soft tissue trauma (bloodshot) ! memtb
Guaranteed! Hunted and guided with one for 18 years!

My 338 rum has a lot of work done to it for long range. The barrel alone was a 2k ish. I can't get ammunition for that or the 375. The 375 only has 6 rounds through it. I'm looking for a 378 weatherby for a project reach out and destroy

6.5 needmoor hahaha that's fantastic lol
$2k (Canadian dollar?) for a .338RUM barrel? That is $1480 US. I guess if it is a CF and includes chambering, and cost of a muzzle brake and installed, I can see that.

But, if you are serious about shooting LR, you really need to be handloading. Then you don't have to worry about finding ammo.

The 338 rum is the best option you already have.Look up Defensive edge Shawn C. and his smithing and LR vids, most with 338 variant EDGE. Guys I know when younger shot records in 1000 bench with 300WSM,they moved to 6Dasher.My one friend shot a 2000Y WR 3 target agg. in 2019 with a 338LAI.Another guy I know hunts hard with a 300 Rum, and has 11 large mule deer with that in high country along with about 14 wolfs

$2k (Canadian dollar?) for a .338RUM barrel? That is $1480 US. I guess if it is a CF and includes chambering, and cost of a muzzle brake and installed, I can see that.

But, if you are serious about shooting LR, you really need to be handloading. Then you don't have to worry about finding ammo.
I don't use muzzle brakes on anything. Yes it's the very best barrel money can buy. The chamber and breach,bolt was extra.

Lance a Proof CFB runs about 1450 to 1500 Cdn $ in the great white north.