Best long range target firearm

It's not hard to buy! There is none.
It was a custom piece from. Germany. I smashed a big horn at about 900 yards with 170 g. Worth every toony lol

Methinks I'd find a GOOD brake for the .378 WBY.
Along with a strapped shoulder pad and mouthpiece.
Those big lathe turned .375 & .416 bullets are a thing of beauty though.
And if I recall they were about 2.50$ apiece before Covid.

Last edited:
Methinks I'd find a GOOD brake for the .378 WBY.
Along with a strapped shoulder pad and mouthpiece.
Those big lathe turned .375 & .416 bullets are a thing of beauty though.
And if I recall they were about 2.50$ apiece before Covid.
Right

Those would be my choices as well
Unfortunately big caliber guns are restricted in canada.50 is out. I'm thinking 416 is too heavy of a projectile for the charge. I think the 378 with the correct grain and powder passing through the correct barrel can be the maker a hell of a long way out. I see peeps worried about trig during flight. This goes with anything passing through atmosphere. High speed Turbulence is also a factor of trajectory. Humidity etc. This is always a factor, yes. Perhaps not with the 220 swift.
What do you think?

I think if one pays thousands for a big boy rifle,the price of ammunition is insignificant. Recoil and the sound of death is a part of big bores. I don't use brakes and recoil is common sense. It's the power my boy the shoulder smashing bark of death Power💥 lol If it were up to me I'd put a strap and a scope on a civil war cannon. Charles Bronson style 🤣

If you are just looking at target, go check out a local competition or class.

I went to an F Class Competition beginner class at the range last summer and they had a large variety of 1000yd capable rifles, no magnums surprisingly. But the F Class shoot a lot in their strings so the barrel temp can become an issue. Also these are match bullets, not hunting bullets. The class was very interesting.

At the end of the class, we got to call wind for the instructors. I worked with a guy shooting 308, and another shooting 6mm BRA.

It was a good learning experience. The good 'ol 308 was getting it done.

I am trying to find the best Long range cartridge. I know it varies throughout the grain sizes. I have the 220 swift, 300 wsm, 338 and 375 ultra mag and a lol 458 win mag. I'm wondering is there a hands down long range caliper?
I noticed the dude talking about hunting elk with the 460 weatherby!!!
All hamburger with a side order of bullet spice.

From your list the 300WSM is well proven in the hunting/BR/Fclass communities. Crazy accurate and plenty of thump when it gets there for most game animals at extended ranges.

If you are just looking at target, go check out a local competition or class.

I went to an F Class Competition beginner class at the range last summer and they had a large variety of 1000yd capable rifles, no magnums surprisingly. But the F Class shoot a lot in their strings so the barrel temp can become an issue. Also these are match bullets, not hunting bullets. The class was very interesting.

At the end of the class, we got to call wind for the instructors. I worked with a guy shooting 308, and another shooting 6mm BRA.

It was a good learning experience. The good 'ol 308 was getting it done.
Nice, thanks for the info buddy.

Unfortunately big caliber guns are restricted in canada.50 is out. I'm thinking 416 is too heavy of a projectile for the charge. I think the 378 with the correct grain and powder passing through the correct barrel can be the maker a hell of a long way out. I see peeps worried about trig during flight. This goes with anything passing through atmosphere. High speed Turbulence is also a factor of trajectory. Humidity etc. This is always a factor, yes. Perhaps not with the 220 swift.
What do you think?

I know very little of Ultra long range shooting. Around 1200 with my 6.5-06 is about as far as I go. The Cheytac 408 with their ballistic computer is capable of 1st round hits at 2500 yards in the right hands. I don't know much about the 375 Cheytac but I'd bet it's somewhere in that same ballpark.

It's not hard to buy! There is none.
It was a custom piece from. Germany. I smashed a big horn at about 900 yards with 170 g. Worth every toony lol
Forgive me, if I come across a bit skeptical of some your claims and original post. You seem to be asking questions about the best LR cartridge, but claim harvesting a big horn at 900 yards with a custom German made rifle. Specifics and pics would help reduce my suspicion of a click bait post.

I haven't had a chance to stretch the legs on my Wheeler built 6mm Bleedmoor, but it puts three Berger 115 grain VLD target boolits into one tiny hole at 100 yards. Good luck with your choice!

Attachments

• 20231017_183908.jpg
    20231017_183908.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 31
Forgive me, if I come across a bit skeptical of some your claims and original post. You seem to be asking questions about the best LR cartridge, but claim harvesting a big horn at 900 yards with a custom German made rifle. Specifics and pics would help reduce my suspicion of a click bait post.
Bait post? I only asked thoughts of a long range cartridge. Perhaps missing something here. Your disbelief factor in this instance has me perplexed. German made barrel not rifle. If you have no input on a long range big bore then you could use your perry Mason skills for better use. I wasn't aware of baiting tactics utilized for opinions. Clearly I have made a mistake of joining a blog form for information.