Long range target

Wachsmann

Hello All,
I was wondering if something like 3/8 regular steel plate would be ok out at 700 to 1000yards with a 300RUM, or a 6.5x284 or is the RUM just going to tear it up really bad? I was just trying to consider the price of regular steel for the long range stuff and shoot my small 3/8 AR500 steel at say 600yrds and closer. I can get the AR500 in larger plate but its up over 150 dollars for a 30x30inch 3/8 piece.... Thanks..

Google JC Steel, check out Jake Vibby's site. He has affordable ARSteel. You don't need a 30x30 for 1000 yards. You will definitely punch holes in 3/8 regular steel with a RUM at some distances.

If you want to do it on the cheap you can always contact an implement dealer, farmer, or construction company and buy some large used discs off of disc plows.

For long range targets they work very well both because of the type of steel they are made from and the concave shape that makes it pretty hard to have an impact that strikes it square on.

I would weld two together and just weld on some chains to hang them on as well. You can just use a small piece of thick plate to cover the center hole.

If you want to do it on the cheap you can always contact an implement dealer, farmer, or construction company and buy some large used discs off of disc plows.

For long range targets they work very well both because of the type of steel they are made from and the concave shape that makes it pretty hard to have an impact that strikes it square on.

I would weld two together and just weld on some chains to hang them on as well. You can just use a small piece of thick plate to cover the center hole.

+1
Also old grader blades welded together are nearly indestructible.

I use old Bush Hog mower blades. They are 1/2" thick and a 308 at 50yds want put a dent in it. I cut animal shapes out of them or weld several together for a large target. I tried a disk blade once and it cracked on the first shot. I never tried welding two together.

Google JC Steel, check out Jake Vibby's site. He has affordable ARSteel. You don't need a 30x30 for 1000 yards. You will definitely punch holes in 3/8 regular steel with a RUM at some distances.

I've bought several targets (& even a rifle) from Jake & i'm sure I will again when his group buy comes back around. He's a straight up dude with a great cause, I too recommend JC Steel targets.

Careful welding that stuff together, the heat of the weld can (& often times will) remove the hardness of the steel causing pass thru's in the area of the weld. Hanging them side by side may be the best solution.

To the OP- While I understand targets are not cheap, a quality AR500 or AR550 target will last you a LONG time. At extended ranges we're talking thousand upon thousands of rounds. A quick repaint & you're ready for another string. I used to use mild steel as I have access to pretty much anything I want. After filling holes & divots, blend grinding & repainting before they can be used again; I'll take AR steel any day of the week.

As a quick example, I still have a 12" blind flange (used in the oil & gas industry for capping a line) as a 1100yd target. This thing is a pig to lug around at 80-100lbs & ~1.5" thick, even at 1100yds a bullet leave a sizable divot in the soft steel (.338 really does a number). it gets to the point that you really have a hard time measuring groups... it's nearly worthless but it was free :D

This will be replaced by a 24x24 AR 500 very soon. Trust us, buy once & cry once for a target that will last you a decade or better, $150 is a steal.

t

I've bought several targets (& even a rifle) from Jake & i'm sure I will again when his group buy comes back around. He's a straight up dude with a great cause, I too recommend JC Steel targets.

Careful welding that stuff together, the heat of the weld can (& often times will) remove the hardness of the steel causing pass thru's in the area of the weld. Hanging them side by side may be the best solution.

To the OP- While I understand targets are not cheap, a quality AR500 or AR550 target will last you a LONG time. At extended ranges we're talking thousand upon thousands of rounds. A quick repaint & you're ready for another string. I used to use mild steel as I have access to pretty much anything I want. After filling holes & divots, blend grinding & repainting before they can be used again; I'll take AR steel any day of the week.

As a quick example, I still have a 12" blind flange (used in the oil & gas industry for capping a line) as a 1100yd target. This thing is a pig to lug around at 80-100lbs & ~1.5" thick, even at 1100yds a bullet leave a sizable divot in the soft steel (.338 really does a number). it gets to the point that you really have a hard time measuring groups... it's nearly worthless but it was free :D

This will be replaced by a 24x24 AR 500 very soon. Trust us, buy once & cry once for a target that will last you a decade or better, $150 is a steal.

t
I did it for years with no problem. This isn't just tempered steel it's specially formulated to be extremely resistant to shearing forces, impacts and vibration.

I haven't read any of the posts from your first, but I have 2 1'x1' AR 400 3/8" plates I have shot with my 7 SAUM. At less then 700 yds, the 180 Hybrids at 3050 fps would leave at least a 1/2" dimple in the steel, past 700 yds it was a little less. After seeing the effects, I would only shoot them past 800 yds with good results. I have made targets from old thick plow discs that have preformed very well. Most times these can be picked up for little or no cost from a farmer, rancher, or even a junk yard. They are great to shoot until I finally buy a 2'x2' AR500 3/8" plate.

Old railroad tie plates work pretty well if you aren't looking to spend much. They will dent and ding but I've never seen a pass through outside of 400 yards. Hit them with a little krylon when you get home and they are ready to go next trip. The ones we find are 8"x14" so if you weld two together its a MOA target to about 1300 yds

Here are some targets I made out of old bush hog mower blades. You can't put a dent in them. The ground hog is cut out of a blade but the plate behind it is mild 3/8 steel set at an angle, The upper target is 3 bush hog blades welded together. A bullet will not put a dent in the blade targets.

Attachments

• 2015-01-06 16.14.58.jpg
    2015-01-06 16.14.58.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 74
I am up to 19 Steel targets on my range/hunting cabin. All but two are AR 500 from JC Targets.

TWO 10" X 10"
TWELVE 12" X 12"
THREE 12" X 24"

I also have a couple mild steel targets that I put out past 1500. When I had them at 1100 or under I would punch holes through them.

No substitute for AR 500!!

Tod

PS, my goal is to have enough where I can try and put together a "tactical" match on my property!!!

I am up to 19 Steel targets on my range/hunting cabin. All but two are AR 500 from JC Targets.

TWO 10" X 10"
TWELVE 12" X 12"
THREE 12" X 24"

I also have a couple mild steel targets that I put out past 1500. When I had them at 1100 or under I would punch holes through them.

No substitute for AR 500!!

Tod

PS, my goal is to have enough where I can try and put together a "tactical" match on my property!!!

Why don't you put together a 'Walker Match' for us old pharts? We don't like hiking, running, getting out of wind and all that krap! It's hard enough to keep what wind we got....much less trying to shoot in a pair of running shoes with a dang pack on our back! That goes against all we've ever been taught about accurate shooting! If you 'kiddies' wanna do that....you oughta join the Marine Corps!! They'll really give you running and jumping....and targets that shoot back!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.