Long Range Target Cam

nice shootin buddy .
Thanks, Jim! This post was a little more about me 'redeeming' myself than it was the camera. Thanks for the little 'push'! 😇 So far, so good with the camera though. Supposed to be sunny here on Saturday and as long as the mirage isn't too bad I'll put it out at 500 yards and hopefully the 'gremlins' don't bother it. 😉 (...and I shoot straight)

these cameras would be the cats meow for doing long range ladders .
Mornin, Jim! Yes, Sir....I bought it for this reason actually. I wanted to do something 'different' with the .300 Win Mag instead of firing loads over the Magnetospeed looking for perceived 'velocity nodes'.
@ShtrRdy turned me on to the Ryan Furman videos concerning 'Long Range Ladders' and I thought this camera would be great for that purpose.

I've been shooting 1200 yds with my 338LM, but can see the hits on steel easily enough. But, I've been wanting to try 1 mile. I've got one spot just over a mile that I can see from my bench. Been wanting to try it but figured I'd have to get a camera of some kind. A guy has a new Longshot LR3 that he never used that he's listed on another site that I've been considering. However, that's significantly higher than the Eagle Target Cam. The Eagle looks great for what may very well be a one time/try use. I'll have to keep watching their site, of course they're OOS right now.

I've been shooting 1200 yds with my 338LM, but can see the hits on steel easily enough. But, I've been wanting to try 1 mile. I've got one spot just over a mile that I can see from my bench. Been wanting to try it but figured I'd have to get a camera of some kind. A guy has a new Longshot LR3 that he never used that he's listed on another site that I've been considering. However, that's significantly higher than the Eagle Target Cam. The Eagle looks great for what may very well be a one time/try use. I'll have to keep watching their site, of course they're OOS right now.

we spot our hits on steel with our spotting scopes . we've shot out to 2375 so far . the 300 gr berger bullets put a good sized splat on the steel . we keep the targets painted white , this helps a lot . I have a swaro 20-60x80 , another guy has a vortex I'm not sure what model or power it is .

I've got an Athlon Talos 20-60x80 spotting scope. I know it won't compare to the Swaro, LOL. But it beats the old Simmons 15-45 I started out with! I'm betting I could see the target at a mile, but it's definitely a lot cooler if you can see it with a camera/video setup. And, at $200 it's affordable.

we can shoot 800 to 1600 from our main shooting position . then we move back and shoot the 1600 target from other places . the one guy held his phone up to my spotting scope and videoed a hit from 1600 . you can see lots of splats on the plate in that video . I'd sure give your spotting scope a try before ruling it out . for shooting paper these spotting scopes don't work anywhere near that far . depending on the conditions you might get a better look at the target with the spotter turned down from max power .

Attachments

• P8300938.JPG
    P8300938.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 106
  • P8300943_LI.jpg
    P8300943_LI.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 107
Yeah, my spotter will probably work, but then that would deny me the opportunity to buy something really cool and impress all the other kids on the block!

Seriously though, not having shot this far before it might take a while just to get "on the steel" to begin with. Shooting in pasture so I don't know how well I'd see "splashes" in the grass. I figure this would be great set up a ways back just to let me know where to walk it in to the steel.

Yeah, my spotter will probably work, but then that would deny me the opportunity to buy something really cool and impress all the other kids on the block!

Seriously though, not having shot this far before it might take a while just to get "on the steel" to begin with. Shooting in pasture so I don't know how well I'd see "splashes" in the grass. I figure this would be great set up a ways back just to let me know where to walk it in to the steel.

I think a camera is the best solution for shooting ladders . a camera would make that so easy . I want a camera just for this .

I'm not sure if a camera will help you spot hits in a grassy field . you're really making things tough on yourself . if you have a shooting buddy keep him on the camera watching for the splash . if using a spotting scope get your spotter set up directly behind the shooter . you might be able to watch the vapor trail to impact . if you can't see impacts it's going to be tough to walk on to the plate . I really enjoy the long range shooting , let us know how you make out at 1000 . if I can offer a tip , or any help I sure will .

Okay friends....As promised I went out today and fired a few shots at 500 yards and I'm VERY HAPPY to report that the camera functioned FLAWLESSLY AND CAPTURED EVERY SHOT WITH ZERO LOSS OF CONNECTION OR ANYTHING! I could constantly see the trees moving with the wind while viewing on my tablet. Wind was @ 9mph SSE (with the occasional higher gust) and the mirage was AWFUL 😡. I dialed from a 200 yard zero (based on the Kestrel 2700 solution) and my First shot was high and right. Second shot was even higher. So, I dialed/corrected half-minute left and half-minute down and the final 3 shots went right where I wanted them. Here's the progression
67C28C49-341B-4A7D-B149-9AC675A256B5.jpegClean 500 yard Target (1 moa dot)
62C05BC4-25E8-4783-884E-1F7F024A200F.jpegShot 1
7DE5533F-4D1C-4EB5-8C86-37FE31714920.jpegShot 2

B0F98B4E-8F0B-4A8D-8AEC-499C277FBAF2.jpegShot 3
201C8E61-0C62-4E1F-BD24-CFF93657DFAB.jpegShot 4

6200DD7C-5BB6-40A4-8F21-DAB0156F5FE2.jpegShot 5
44E7094E-7D9C-47E4-8AA4-F31AF2A9D31D.jpeg612EDC2F-6DEC-4AF3-9B70-2A97B21B8342.pngBB928201-F025-47D9-93EC-21BE9858F624.png
7CE6DA53-CD12-40EF-AAB5-D6313388833C.jpegInitial solution based on my velocity (2785fps avg) and conditions.
So, I'd have to say that for my shooting needs this camera fits the bill quite nicely and I'm very happy with it's performance thus far. I think the first 'hiccup' I experienced with it was something very minor which the company took immediate action on and definitely remedied......and they did so in a weeks turnaround time. Folks, you absolutely cannot ask for any better customer service than that! This will likely be my last 'updating post' to this thread....unless I somehow manage to find a place near me to shoot which allows more than 500 yards distance. If you're looking for a shooting camera that won't 'break the bank' then I would definitely look into this one. This has been FUN.....thanks for following along my friends and thanks @Eagle Eye Shooting!! 👍

Last edited:
Are you still using the PVC extension you showed us earlier? Or do you have a good line of sight to the target?

Yes on both, actually. I used the pvc 'elevator' today just to make sure I was above the slight rise/fall of the land between my prone shooting position and the camera/target......and the line of sight was clear of any trees/obstructions.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.