Best load for coyotes!! please look

matt_3479

I just recently bought a Remington 700 sps Varmint 243. win with a 26" bull barrel, im going out to pick up a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm tonight i believe and im hoping to get some load work done this week and test it out this weekend. This guns primary use is for coyotes, targets out to 500-600 yards, ground hogs and crows. But mainly coyotes. I was thinking of running the 75 grain V-Max or the 87 Grain V-Max. Which do you suggest for coyotes at ranges 400 yards and closer. I will test both out to see which gives better accuracy but in terms of better bullet for the job, which do you suggest?

I also dont know which powders to use? I have the H4895, H380, RL-22 and RL-17. I think the H380 and the RL-22 might show the best results?

Unless we're calling them in, in my experience; coyotes within the 1/4 mile mark usually know we're there before we see them. They don't usually give us much time to prepare for a shot (range and compute, then dial knobs and so forth)

Therefore, I am a proponent of fast and flat shooting. Less time of flight on moving shots and a broadside yote gives us more lee-way with wind drift than with elevation cause the vitals are oblong.

Either bullet will give you enough energy to cleanly take a yote at the distances you mentioned so long as you hit the vitals. The lighter bullet is a little faster (assuming factory advertised velocities) and gives you a couple inches better trajectory. The heavier one gives you a couple inches less wind drift.

Sixes in all reality, so it probably boils down to which one shoots the best out of your rifle.

I look for consistent 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 300 yds (calm day, bench rest, well tuned load)

Highly recommend a holdover syle reticle. Practice with it and learn/record where to hold at distances out to 600. This will save you alot of time when you're presented with a shot. Time that should be spent on getting into the most stable position possible. Coyotes vitals aren't a whole lot taller than a pop can.

Good Luck.:)

I shoot 75gr Vmax's in my 6-284 and they shoot quite well.

Shot one saturday with it and it left a baseball size hole on the opposite side. Soooo I'd say they aren't very fur friendly if that's of any concern.

try a Sierra 80 grain Blitz at about 3400 fps. Round seems to group well, and is total distruction on impact (no pelt damage as there's no pelt left)
gary

i have killed over 250 and used quite a few different bullets. some of the better ones are the 55, 70 baltip, the 85 sierra bthp, the 87 horn and berger and 88 berger. i use varget and I-4064 for accuracy. you may get higher velocity with h-4350, h-4831sc, re-17,19 and 22. i would use what ever groups best at the longest range.

My two favorites in the .243 are two that have already been talked about, the Sierra 80grn Blitz & the 87grn V-max. They both have the ability to make you smile:D when you dump a yote a high velocity, & both have proven to me, to be extremely accurate in the .243 with FED 210m's & RL-19.

I'd like to shoot the 87vmax instead of the 75's that I currently use in my 6-284 but I'm afraid my 1-12tw is a tick to slow for the 87's. :(

My go to round for my sons 243 and my 243 ai is the Sierra 85 HPBT gamekings over H4831 sc. Lights out on multiple dogs, badger, coues WT, and antelope. They group awesome and do the job. My furthest kill shot was at 654 yds this past fall in WY. One shot kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.