best load for 300 RUM

Re: we\'ve already had this debate a few weeks ago

It's a factory Sako 75. I didn't expect to get the results I'm getting either, but I had to try. On the flinching thing: I've shot about 5 different 5 shot groups, w/ the same results every time.

The silver coated bullets could come in handy for werewolf hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In case you didn't read my post, I agreed with the windage issue. I am not going to be taking too many of these long shots and when I do, it's not going to be in a gail force wind.

In case you also missed it in my previous post, I also said I was going to load some 165s for larger game. I am not an idiot. I understand ballistics. I also understand matching your load and equipment for your hunting conditions, and to me, the load I am using now is ideal for my current hunting situation. I don't plan on using the 165s for whitetails where I hunt even after I have worked up a load for them. I will only shoot them @ larger game or if I feel I could get a shot of 500+ yards. Not to say I wouldn't take that shot with the 125s if had practiced enough and had made the shot under the same conditions while practicing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you missed it, I put a smiley/winky face in there for a reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Like that. However I know you can not usually tell someones tone of typing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I don't believe I ever incenuated that you didn't know ballistics, if I did, I apologize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. As I said before if it works, it works.

Bob

90gr Retumbo - 200gr Accubond - 210M - 3.660 OAL

I think it was about 3150 fps as I remember... been a while now since I played with the rifle, but it's a very accurate combo. The load is about 1-2gr below max load... in my rifle. Tested on the Oehler M43 and PressureTrace right at about 60,000 PSI.

I had a pretty nice load with the 220gr SMK at 87gr as well, but I'll have to double check and make sure that wasn't using RL25... like I said, it's been a while.

The 200gr Accubond was more consistant, and accuracy was also better.

The 220gr SMK load I mentioned previously was indeed with RL25, not Retumbo... this was a max load though, slightly over really... about 67,000 PSI on average. OAL was 3.710" - .050" off lands using a 210M primer as well.

BTW - Never have had a single hangfire using the 210M loading for the 300 Ultra, down to about +10 deg F. either.

Brent, sounds a little hot for me to start out with in my new rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifQuestion you mentioned OAL at 3.710 in the 220 MK will this feed through my Rem 700 action? and if it wont, what is the longest OAL that I can expect to feed through my action ? thanks for your input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifBob Percifield

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[Ding. Ding. We have a winner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles, No need to be a smart aleck. In case you didn't read my post, I agreed with the windage issue. I am not going to be taking too many of these long shots and when I do, it's not going to be in a gail force wind.

In case you also missed it in my previous post, I also said I was going to load some 165s for larger game. I am not an idiot. I understand ballistics. I also understand matching your load and equipment for your hunting conditions, and to me, the load I am using now is ideal for my current hunting situation. I don't plan on using the 165s for whitetails where I hunt even after I have worked up a load for them. I will only shoot them @ larger game or if I feel I could get a shot of 500+ yards. Not to say I wouldn't take that shot with the 125s if had practiced enough and had made the shot under the same conditions while practicing.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Bill Bailey, you're going to shoot a 150 pound Whitetail
at short to medium range and longer if the wind is kind using 125 grain bullets at just under 4000 ft/second. I'm a beginning hunter interested in obtaining meat for the table. If I hit such a deer at close range, let's say, in the front shoulder, how close to the hole made by your bullet can you eat the meat?

What I want to find out from your seemingly considerable experiece is the relationship between low bullet weight-high velocity versus high bullet weight-lower velocity and the amount of usable meat recovered?

Thank you.
Peter

Hopefully you won't hit them in the shoulder. While it is an ideal shot if you don't want to track them, it will probably ruin both shoulders. If you put it right behind the shoulder meat damage will be minimal, but there is a slim chance you may have to track the animal. Probably not very far as it will have a fist sized hole in its side.

If you are simply hunting for meat, this is definately not the round you should shoot. I'm sure a 55 gr. Nolser BT @ 4050 fps out of my 243 would not be the round of choice for fur hunters either, but it works for me. Kind of hard on the pelts though. To each their own, I guess.

I like the 180gr Lost River Ball. sitting on a heafty serving of 7828 or Reloader 25 either will shoot great with a BC that will not wait really flat shooting!The O.A.L. is crucial with these bullets, first group I shot was realy bad but shortened the O.A.L. and they got in one hole @ 100 yds., they are a little pricey but I don't shoot that many rounds at game anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.