best load for 300 RUM

robertjay53

Help me get started I want to load 200 and 220 gr Matchkings only help me with a start. Thanks Bob Percifield /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I just got a 300 RUM and the only load I have worked up so far is for a moly coated 125 grain Nosler BT. 104 grains of RL 22 w/Fed gm215m primers. Avg. velocity of 3937 fps. Murder on our small whitetails. I am looking at loading some Barnes 165 gr. XBT's for larger game at longer ranges. If anyone has any experience with these bullets their input would be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

220gr MK OAL as long as your throat will allow. Start at 86gr of retumbo and work up. 210(or 215) Fedarel match primer.

Bill, while that bullet out of a 300RUM might work ok on deer, it doesn't do anything well. It blows up at close range, and does not have the BC for longe range. Your drop isn't that much flatter at close range and is alot worse at longe range. Its offers no advantage in wind drift. In short while you can make it work, as long as everything is perfect, it sucks at long range compared to heavier, higher BC bullets in everything including, drop, wind drift, retained velocity, and terminal ballistics. However I am all for a man using whatever WORKS FOR HIM. So if it works, and you like it; use it.

Hear are a few loads that have worked for me. All of them produced half inch groups at 100yd and are 1.5gr to 3.0gr BELOW MAX. Firearm is a Stock Remmy 700 Sendero SF 26' bbl with trigger adjustment only. Loupy 3x9 VXIII scope,rings and base. All loads were shot over a Crony Alpha master.

Bullet: 220gr MK
Case: RP
Powder: IMR 7828 86gr
Primer: Rem Mag
Seat: As long as your mag will allow. unless you single shot it. No sine of pressure
3046 FPS

Bullet: 200gr Accubond
Powder: R22 85gr or 93gr of R25
Seat: As long as your mag will allow. unless you single shot it. No sine of pressure.
3130 FPS

Bullet: 200gr Accubond
Powder: Retumbo 94gr
Seat: As long as your mag will allow. unless you single shot it. No sine of pressure.
3188 FPS

I will be doing more testing with the 220 MK with Retumbo and r25 soon. Rob what make of firearm are you shooting? Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]

Bill, while that bullet out of a 300RUM might work ok on deer, it doesn't do anything well. It blows up at close range, and does not have the BC for longe range. Your drop isn't that much flatter at close range and is alot worse at longe range. Its offers no advantage in wind drift. In short while you can make it work, as long as everything is perfect, it sucks at long range compared to heavier, higher BC bullets in everything including, drop, wind drift, retained velocity, and terminal ballistics. However I am all for a man using whatever WORKS FOR HIM. So if it works, and you like it; use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles, I agree on the wind drift. The 125 can't hold a candle to heavier bullets on this issue.

I couldn't disagree more on the bullet holding up @ longrange. Here is a breif comparison of the 125 BT vs. a 180 BT.

125 @ 3940 (actual drop) 180 @ 3300 (actual drop)
200 yds -4.5 200 yds -6.95
400 yds -22.8 400 yds -30.42
600 yds -58.95 600 yds -76.19
800 yds -123.22 800 yds -151.46
1000yds -229.13 1000yds -267.84

As you can see the 125 hold up much better down range. It doesn't have the energy to take larger game @ these distances but will have no problem cleanly killing deer here in central OK, and it doesn't break your shoulder. I want to load some of the Barnes 165 XBT's for larger game.

On the expansion factor: I know the bullet is going to to explode at close range. I'm shooting deer that avg about 125 lbs. A BIG buck in my area is 175 lbs. I don't care if the bullet exits. If you put 3500 to 4000 lbs of energy ALL into an animal of that size, it isn't going anywhere

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't disagree more on the bullet holding up @ longrange. Here is a breif comparison of the 125 BT vs. a 180 BT.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is it's much easier to know the range and correct for drop than it is to hit something with a bullet that gets blown all over the place even in a light breeze. Many years ago I used to load 130's in my 300 Win at 3660 fps. It was so cool...it shot flat as a laser beam...but I couldn't hit a **** thing at long range with them. And with such little retained energy at LR they aren't going to kill as well even if you do hit something.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is it's much easier to know the range and correct for drop than it is to hit something with a bullet that gets blown all over the place even in a light breeze. Many years ago I used to load 130's in my 300 Win at 3660 fps. It was so cool...it shot flat as a laser beam...but I couldn't hit a **** thing at long range with them. And with such little retained energy at LR they aren't going to kill as well even if you do hit something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding. Ding. We have a winner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[Ding. Ding. We have a winner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles, No need to be a smart aleck. In case you didn't read my post, I agreed with the windage issue. I am not going to be taking too many of these long shots and when I do, it's not going to be in a gail force wind.

In case you also missed it in my previous post, I also said I was going to load some 165s for larger game. I am not an idiot. I understand ballistics. I also understand matching your load and equipment for your hunting conditions, and to me, the load I am using now is ideal for my current hunting situation. I don't plan on using the 165s for whitetails where I hunt even after I have worked up a load for them. I will only shoot them @ larger game or if I feel I could get a shot of 500+ yards. Not to say I wouldn't take that shot with the 125s if had practiced enough and had made the shot under the same conditions while practicing.

we\'ve already had this debate a few weeks ago

I wanted to do the same stupid thing - I did a little more homework. The 1:10 barrel at those velocities will way over stablize the bullet - it won't be accurate. The throat will wear very fast as the gun is designed to chamber 220 gr bullets.
[image]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAMAx0YS67xDAnHqpxJqdkKUDLHG4PIW3Hc7Y9w!4HnrySasQRR3xKEyp!syB71aZ4QTHixizhOUA1YVRHIgs0*A6C8Bsh2BM*7eYAngeTlITKP8vh9sg/vel0.JPG?dc=4675501939045981863[/image]

Well I figured out the bug in this dumb software last week but can't remember it now. You will have to click on the graphs to see them.
I was going to have Kirby put a new Lilja 1:15 TWIST 30" heavy SS barrel on my gun and cut the chamber for 150gr bullets. I got educated.

Forgot those boring numbers, look at the nice charts at my site. I've decided to shoot 155 gr Lapla Seenar (BC .508 essentiall the same as the 180 gr Noz BT) or Nozler 168gr Ballistic silver tips with a good BC of .490

Note at only 350 yards the the 155gr is flying faster than the 125 gr. Now look at the wind (only 10 MPH, hardly a gale)

See them at: ricka's comparison of 300 RUM loads

Re: we\'ve already had this debate a few weeks ago

I posted the 300 RUM data with 155gr Lapua Scenar, 168gr Nozler BT silvertip & the old fav 220 gr MatchKing. I gave the 220 MK more velocity than it really deserves - but I'd say the 155gr wins the contest. Note I'll be shooting my Kirby prepared/Lilja barrel - 338 RUM when I want to go heavier than 168.

ricka shows anorexics have a point (pun intended) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm using atmospheric data for my cabin in Mt - 7,000 feet up - I set it to 26.5 " HG (is that reasonable?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The 1:10 barrel at those velocities will way over stablize the bullet - it won't be accurate.

3/4 inch 5 shot group @ 100 yds. Good enough for me.

On these 155s your talking about; where can a guy pick up some of those? Are you using those for hunting?

<font color="red"> Target shooters, especially bench rest shooters, like to use the slowest possible twist rate they can get away with in an effort to get the very ultimate in accuracy from their barrel </font>
Lilja on twist

Given the 308 calls for a 1:15 twist for this bullet and you are using a 1:10 - you're probably flinching into the same spot each time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Those results certainly aren't reproducable (for other guns). Just because Jackie gleason smoked like a fish and drank like a chimmney and lived into his 80's, it's not the recipe you follow for optimal accuracy. And with a factory barrel, action?

The data clearly shows the 155 &amp; 168 gr are much superior to the 125.

[ QUOTE ]
On these 155s your talking about; where can a guy pick up some of those?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question. You can google on lapua scenar
Many places sell them. Hopefully someone here will let us know some good source and I'll post them on my web site.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you using those for hunting?

[/ QUOTE ]
Even better question. I don't know if these are good for deer/antelope. It's called SCENAR Silver Jacket - sounds like it will kill deer/antelope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The 168 gr Nozler BT silver Tip will certainly do a great job.

For those saying we should be shooting 220 gr MK and such other heavy weights, I've posted my 338 RUM ballistic data - If I need something heaver than the 168 I'll go to my 338

ricka's 338 RUM Ballistic charts

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.