Best Lightweight Rifle under $2,000?

tikka t3 lite 4x14 scope handload keep in mind the tikka is not a easily customizable rifle like the Remington. The Tikka is for the guy that wants to take the gun out of box handload and go

If you have a rifle you would like a little lighter. I bought a Browing 300 WSM x bolt, the safty is nice it has a clip and the recoil pad is great. I choose 300 wsm because all the loading are out thier for it and you get it anywhere.

Well since your a weatherby fan also. Here what I did with my old accumark. I sent to Christensen arms The accurized the action, gave it a timney trigger, Installed a new sel. match grade shilen 26'' barrel with titanuim muzzle brake and teflon coated my action. for arounf $1,600.00 bucks. The gun came back shooting 1/2'' and less at 100 with factory ammo. The carbon wrapped adds a nice touch to the gun to take some of that heavy barrel weight off. So if your have a gun laying around you can do it. Have it chmber in whatever you that your action will do. Here a peak!

Myrifle30-378005.jpg

Every one always says you get what you paid for it.
here is my high dollar rifle Savage 7 rem mag
rifle bought used at gun show $225.00
scope $99.00
stock Boyd's 2 1/2 pounds $92.00
total cost $416.00

SAVAGE7MAG.jpg

here is how accurate it is

savage7mag139sst.jpg

I am new to the forum, and am learning quite a bit. I have spent most of my life working in the retail sales end of the shooting industry and have seen thousands upon thousands of guns walk through the doors. I know that there are a lot of guys on here getting hyped up about all these custom rifles, and I think it is great. The one thing I have noticed is that no matter what kind of gun it is, or who builds it there are always some guns that shoot, and some that don't. I have seen rifles that cost a couple of grand plus, and still don't shoot. I personaly just picked up an x-bolt in 270wsm, and I love that rifle. I topped it off with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x50 with their ballistic turret system and I am set for 800 yds. That gun right out of the box shot a half inch group with remington corelok ammo. It will shoot that group all day long. It is a light enough for me, and it shoots really well. I have tightened the groups up with some handloads, but for the money I love that gun. The new magazines are a huge improvement over the old a-bolt mags, and the rifle just fits me very well. There are a lot of good choices in a rifle, I wish you the best in your decision. Just thought I would add my two cents.

This might be just what you want: About Ultra Light Arms

Ultra Light Arms has been around about 15 yrs. Melvin Forbes advertises 5 1/4 lb. rifles in your caliber choice. You need to call him regarding price, but I believe they are right around $2,000 depending on options.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Kimber. The 8400 Montana is stainless / synthetic and around $1100 new or $800 used. Many calibers from .223 to 325 WSM in short action and 25-06 to .300 WM in long action (I think that's right)

My .308 with a VX-III 3.5-10x40 in Talley Lightweights weighs 6 lbs 9 ozs with a Butler Creek sling, Butler Creek scope covers and 4 rounds of ammo in the rifle. I've heard some people on forums complain about the Kimbers, but mine handles and shoots great.

Chris

Chris: I did not mention Kimber because I cannot recommend them. Several years ago, I bought a Model94 Kimber in .308. Pretty little rifle, and with my mini Leupold 3-9x, weighs about 6 1/2 lbs. But it has been returned to the factory three times. The pillars were not straight; they replaced the stock with new pillars included. A burr was found in the bore; replaced the barrel and when rounds were loaded in the magazine, with first shot, the magazine opened and shells fell to ground. They fixed that as well. But, after 250 rounds, I still get heavy bluing from the barrel and accuracy is not good. I would not buy another Kimber and cannot recommend it to others.

Gene,

No worries :) We've all had a bad apple at one time or another. I once bought a new Remington 700 LSS as a Christmas gift for my father. We were both pleased until I couldn't get the scope, a new Vari X-III to get even close with a boresighter.

After almost an hour of mounting everything and then taking it apart again, I finally decided that it wasn't me, it had to be something with the rifle. Turned out that the holes for the bases had been drilled off center. I had to send it back to Remington to get it fixed. 8 weeks later, they sent it back with a new action. Then, the rifle wouldn't group consistently. I ended up sending it back 4 times total.

Like I said, if you buy enough, you're going to get a bad one every once in a while. Price doesn't matter either. I had a friend who had to send his Benelli back because it was shooting a great pattern, but the pattern was 18" low and 18" to the left at 30 yards! Turns out that the barrel was bored off center.

Chris

Gene,

No worries :) We've all had a bad apple at one time or another. I once bought a new Remington 700 LSS as a Christmas gift for my father. We were both pleased until I couldn't get the scope, a new Vari X-III to get even close with a boresighter.

After almost an hour of mounting everything and then taking it apart again, I finally decided that it wasn't me, it had to be something with the rifle. Turned out that the holes for the bases had been drilled off center. I had to send it back to Remington to get it fixed. 8 weeks later, they sent it back with a new action. Then, the rifle wouldn't group consistently. I ended up sending it back 4 times total.

Like I said, if you buy enough, you're going to get a bad one every once in a while. Price doesn't matter either. I had a friend who had to send his Benelli back because it was shooting a great pattern, but the pattern was 18" low and 18" to the left at 30 yards! Turns out that the barrel was bored off center.

Chris
Good for shooting around corners ! lol

Ranger Jim

Check into Cooper rifles. They are chambered in mostly non magnum cartridges but they come with a .5 moa guarantee. You should be able to pick one up for less than 2,000 no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.